Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Post your lizards. (Chameleon)

689K views 2K replies 537 participants last post by  mbrick 
#1 ·
Post your lizards.

Why is there no Chameleon thread at the top of this page? I think it's time one got started. Here's mine...

The world's most expensive headbadge.

Homemade bashguard, ala E.T.R., unfortunately mounted on interim cranks.

View from the cockpit.

Attachments

See less See more
#910 ·
I recently picked up my first Santa Cruz frame from a fellow forum member. Seeing as how there was little information on Chameleon builds out there, I thought I'd start this thread on my build process to hopefully help someone else in the future.

Here is the '09 Chameleon green frame as I purchased it.

My intention all along was to have a new EBB raw frame, but I couldn't see forking out $900 on a frame to only strip it, so I I purchased used.

Here is the final result. First, the frame was chemically stripped (a huge pain the butt!), then the frame was completely smoothed using the finest 3M scotch bright pads. After going over the whole frame with the pads, I used 800 and then 1000 grit automotive sandpaper to wet sand the frame to prep for polishing. Finally, I used a Mothers powerball and cone with aluminum polish to go over the entire frame.

I purchased factory decals and the head tube badge directly from Santa Cruz. They are super helpful and friendly. The ones on eBay are not very good at all!

Here is the bike completed.

Build specs:
  • 09' Santa Curz Chameleon Frame
  • Azonic B-52 Bars
  • Azonic Phantom 40mm Stem
  • Race Face Sniper Lock-On Grips
  • SRAM X-9 Polished Rear Shifter
  • Avid Elixr7 Hydraulic Brakes & 160mm Rotors
  • Cane Creek Tank Polished Headset
  • 12' Fox 32 Talas 150mm-120mm
  • Hope Pro Hubs
  • Stans ZTR Flow Rims
  • WTB Dissent Tires 2.3 Tubeless
  • Tompson Elite Seat post
  • Marzocchi 'The Boss' saddle
  • Race Face Atlas Cranks
  • 32T Race Face Chain ring
  • MRP Lopes Chain Guide
  • Straitline DeFactor pedals
  • SRAM PG980 Casette
  • SRAM PC-991 Hollowpin Chain
  • SRAM X-9 Polished Rear Derailluer

#981 ·
Chameleon Raw Color

Hello everyone... im from mexico city... always looking forward to build a chameleon... here in mexico it is very dificult to find some used frames... I was glimpsed by SoWal_MTBer built...

SoWalMTBer: you did an excellent work with the frame, thanks again for your details.

Then I bought this raw frame from SoWalMTBer... and after some days it arrived to Mexico... I stripped it again... asked for some decals to SC, this time in black color... some sand working and aluminum cleaning... I had some issues removing the headset... so I leaved it there... put the decals on... send the frame to a automotive professional ($100 USD) and applied a transparent gloss finish... the results are great... now im planning to build it up... more patience to find the proper equipment according to my riding style...

Attachments

#982 ·
Hello everyone... im from mexico city... always looking forward to build a chameleon... here in mexico it is very dificult to find some used frames... I was glimpsed by SoWal_MTBer built...

SoWalMTBer: you did an excellent work with the frame, thanks again for your details.

Then I bought this raw frame from SoWalMTBer... and after some days it arrived to Mexico... I stripped it again... asked for some decals to SC, this time in black color... some sand working and aluminum cleaning... I had some issues removing the headset... so I leaved it there... put the decals on... send the frame to a automotive professional ($100 USD) and applied a transparent gloss finish... the results are great... now im planning to build it up... more patience to find the proper equipment according to my riding style...
Nice! How safe is it to ride around the trails In Mexico City with a nice expensive bike?

#1,429 ·
Here's the Chameleon I've been wanting for 15 years, just about perfect trail hardtail.

2001 Santa Cruz Chameleon, USA made frame. Size: Large.
2008 Fox Float 32 RL 140mm
Shimano M980 XTR wheelset (26") set up tubeless with Bontrager 2.35 XR3 Team Issues.
Shimano M970 XTR hydraulic disc brakes with XTR Freeza rotors, 180 front, 160 rear.
M980 XTR rear derailleur, M960 XTR front derailleur.
M785 Deore XT double crankset 38/26T, M980 XTR cassette 11-34.
M780 Deore XT shift levers, blanked gear indicators.
DMR Swarm front load stem 50mm x 25.4mm. DMR Alloy Wingbar 725mm x 25.4mm.
Thomson Elite layback seat post. 27.2mm x 410mm.
Fizik Antares VS K:ium Test saddle.
Chris King Dreadset.
Oury clear grips.

Bicycle wheel Bicycle tire Tire Bicycle frame Wheel

Bicycle tire Tire Bicycle frame Wheel Bicycle wheel

Rides so good. Done the longest manuals I've ever done on this bike, super playful, light and agile. Should have bought one years ago.

#1,431 ·
Oh dear. Looks like I have to subscribe to this thread now.
I put in a low bid on an auction and no one else bid...

* XL Santa Cruz Chameleon frame
* Rockshox Pike 454 air forks - with remote lockout, 20mm axle
* Cane Creek headset
* White Industries 'The ONE' crankset on Phil Wood bottom bracket
* Front brake Avid Juicy Ultimate - 185mm rotor
* Rear brake Hayes Nine - 160mm rotor
* Mavic 823 rim laced to 10mm bolt-thru Paul Word Singlespeed Rear Disc Hub
* Mavic 325 rim laced to sealed cartridge bearing hub
* WTB Rocket saddle, Thompson Elite seatpost
* Race Face Ride stem bolted to Atlas bars

Bicycle tire Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle wheel

Will be replacing the brakes with XT's, wider bars, tyres with something knobbly, seat post with a BlackLite, 180mm cranks with an AB oval ring and try getting a 21t for the back.

Might see how well a Fox F29 fork works in there as well.

Should be mostly doable with spare parts.

Should compliment my Kona Unit well.

#1,435 ·
It's finally arrived!
Stripped it down and I can't use the rear wheel with a 32t oval ring as the chainline is totally wrong.
The BB is a cheap VP square taper, the EBB may be a Phil Wood though.

Quite a bit of work to do.
Need to build a good set of wheels, got some Flow EX rims to lace up. Should do the trick.

Oh dear. Looks like I have to subscribe to this thread now.
I put in a low bid on an auction and no one else bid...

* XL Santa Cruz Chameleon frame
* Rockshox Pike 454 air forks - with remote lockout, 20mm axle
* Cane Creek headset
* White Industries 'The ONE' crankset on Phil Wood bottom bracket
* Front brake Avid Juicy Ultimate - 185mm rotor
* Rear brake Hayes Nine - 160mm rotor
* Mavic 823 rim laced to 10mm bolt-thru Paul Word Singlespeed Rear Disc Hub
* Mavic 325 rim laced to sealed cartridge bearing hub
* WTB Rocket saddle, Thompson Elite seatpost
* Race Face Ride stem bolted to Atlas bars

#1,454 ·
2016 Santa Cruz Chameleon R Build Large. Took her on her maiden voyage today:

Bicycle tire Tire Bicycle wheel Wheel Bicycle frame

Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel Wheel Tire Bicycle frame

This is my first 650b (non+). Bike is super fun. It wheelies and manuals super easy. Plus there's nothing like standing up and mashing on a hardtail. The Rock Shox Sector Gold fork 130mm did well. One thing that surprised me is the Shimano SLX push/pull shifter also works like a push/push (something I found out by accident as I am used to Sram). I am halfway through a 1x10 conversion as I'm still waiting for my Goatlink and Sunrace 11-42 to arrive. With the Race Face 32nw and 11-36 cassette I don't know if I need more gearing. It climbed well in the 32-36, so I'm gonna have to think about that one. After flipping the large stem spacer to the top, the cockpit felt good. I like the size of the stock Race Face stem (70mm), so I'll probably keep it for a while. The stock bars are nice and wide, but I'd like a little more rise. I plan on getting carbon bars, so I'll get 'em with more rise. Only thing I think it really needs is a dropper post. Stock tires are Maxxis Minion DHRII 2.3 (F) and Maxxis Ardent 2.25 (R). They came stock tubeless with Stans added, and came with two little bottles of Stans. Initial Impression is it's a great bike. Dropper Post and Carbon Bars I'm gonna get immediately, with a Chromag Ranger or Deity Cavity stem and Hope Brakes on the not-so distant future list.

#1,460 ·
Hi, I was reading this thread for a while now and finally registered today!

I pulled yesterday the trigger on a Chameleon D kit (large) after looking for a mountain bike for quite a while. By the way, the R kit seems to be not available anymore online.

Will check back with some pictures and also probably some questions...mainly about the dropper and might also upgrade the components over time.

#1,463 ·
Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle wheel Bicycle fork
Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle wheel Bicycle fork

Built it up myself, I went for a more XC oriented set up, very fast on climbs and tons of fun on downhills.

Rockshox Reba Solo Air SL 120mm
DT Swiss Spline One XR-1501 Wheelset
Schwalbe Nobby Nic tyres (front and back)
Shimano XT 1x11 drive train
Blackspire's Snaggletooth Oval Chainring 34T
Truvativ Noir Carbon seat post and handle bars

#1,474 ·
View attachment 1105292 View attachment 1105293

Built it up myself, I went for a more XC oriented set up, very fast on climbs and tons of fun on downhills.

Rockshox Reba Solo Air SL 120mm
DT Swiss Spline One XR-1501 Wheelset
Schwalbe Nobby Nic tyres (front and back)
Shimano XT 1x11 drive train
Blackspire's Snaggletooth Oval Chainring 34T
Truvativ Noir Carbon seat post and handle bars
Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel Bicycle wheel rim Winter

Winter build:

MRP Rock Solid 490 Carbon Fork
A Class VED6 Front Wheel
Hand built Rear Wheel with A Class Hub, DT Swiss M442 Rim
Ice Spiker Pro Studded Tires

#1,513 ·
On a whim I decided to find a new obsession that will keep me busy during the off season of snowboarding. What I came up with was getting into mountain biking. I used to ride BMX when I was younger and have messed around on MTBs here and there. I figured I would start simple and get a good all arounder, so today I picked up a 2016 Santa Cruz Chameleon R that had only been ridden 3 times for $900. Planning on swapping out the 2x10 for a 1x10 and adding a dropper seat.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

#1,517 ·
A little late to the game with an older Chameleon 3 I just finished building for my wife. It came with some giant Rockshox Totem forks, so I stole the Bomber DJs off a Kona of mine, and it is much better. Still have to cut the steerer and I will probably single speed it with a 32/19 for a nice commuter for her. Wish it was bigger, and wish it was mine. I fell in love with the Chameleon when I found one for myself, but ended up buying it regardless of it being a medium, and too small for me, but I picked it for a friend who loves it to death! One day I'll pick one up myself.

Hers

The other one I picked up a few years back. It is also 32/19, and is ridden rain/shine/snow.

#3 ·
I know this doesn't count yet but I just placed my order....one medium, rootbeer lizard to go please!!

I can't freakin wait. Putting the ret of the specs together right now but it will definitely be another SS!

Marathon S 100
Titec Bars/Post
Azonic Hot Seat
DMR Tubular Cranks/BB
Azonic Shorty Stem
Rhyno Lites on Novatech SS hubs
Hayes 8" Mech up front
Avid Arch Rival in back
Avid SD7 Levers
Ruffian lock ons
Kenda Kinetics (off road)
Maxxis Hookworms (park/urban)

Im giddy!

#4 ·
I just ordered a White Chameleon last month, so hopefully I'll see mine relatively soon.
Although I'll be running gears on mine.

My parts spec will be:
'01 Z1
Sram drivetrain
and the rest will be whatever I find laying around the house. I think I have everything....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.