Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Post your lizards. (Chameleon)

689K views 2K replies 537 participants last post by  mbrick 
#1 ·
Post your lizards.

Why is there no Chameleon thread at the top of this page? I think it's time one got started. Here's mine...

The world's most expensive headbadge.

Homemade bashguard, ala E.T.R., unfortunately mounted on interim cranks.

View from the cockpit.

Attachments

See less See more
#1,500 ·
Got my '17 Chameleon R1 about a month ago. Switched out all the Sram NX stuff to my old steel hardtail Dragon 29er and bought all new XT for the Chameleon. Made a great bike even better. Full XT setup and a dropper post. Everything else is stock. This bike is FUN! Flicky, nimble, extra grippy and just overall fun to ride. I love this bike!

Attachments

#1,501 ·
2016 Chameleon SS raw aluminum

My XL 2016 Chameleon SS raw aluminum.
Headset: Chris King
Bars/Stem: Chromag Fubars Cutlass, Chromag Ranger V2
Seatpost: Ritchey Superlogic Link Flexlogic
Saddle: Custom Downieville WTB Volt Team Saddle.
Brakes/Rotors: Shimano XT M8000 / Formula Disc
Wheelset: Industry Nine Trail S 27.5in w/ Torch hubs
Tires: 2.4 X-King rear, 2.4 TrailKing front.
Fork: 2014 Fox 34 150mm. 2018 Fox Factory 34 140mm arriving this week.
Crankset: RaceFace NextSL running 34/18 or 34/19 depending on the mountains.
Weight: 23.8lbs with current fork.

Tire Bicycle tire Wheel Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel

#1,502 ·
My XL 2016 Chameleon SS raw aluminum.
Headset: Chris King
Bars/Stem: Chromag Fubars Cutlass, Chromag Ranger V2
Seatpost: Ritchey Superlogic Link Flexlogic
Saddle: Custom Downieville WTB Volt Team Saddle.
Brakes/Rotors: Shimano XT M8000 / Formula Disc
Wheelset: Industry Nine Trail S 27.5in w/ Torch hubs
Tires: 2.4 X-King rear, 2.4 TrailKing front.
Fork: 2014 Fox 34 150mm. 2018 Fox Factory 34 140mm arriving this week.
Crankset: RaceFace NextSL running 34/18 or 34/19 depending on the mountains.
Weight: 23.8lbs with current fork.

View attachment 1141902
What drop outs are those Mike? I have a 135 SS swinger drop outs from my highball would this work? Are they interchangeable? And one more thing? Does this version of chamelion 27.5 accept a Hammerschmidt crank? Been toying around with the idea of building a 2 speed bike... Any inputs? Thanks

#1,524 ·
I've been trying to find a better / lighter fork for my 2010 4th gen. The most difficult part by far is the straight steerer requirement as almost every recent fork has a tapered steerer and Fox doesn't make any more straight steerer. I wish I could find a 5th gen with tapered steerer but frames are rare.

I recently upgraded to new Shimano brakes and 1x11 drivetrain and it's brought new life into the bike.

Currently have a Marzocchi Bomber 150mm but it is heavy and tall and not very smooth. I guess I could try rebuilding it but I'm not sure how much better it will get.

I bought a Fox 32 Float Factory 120mm after a long search. Well, it actually turned out to be a 100mm. It can be converted to 120mm but the part needed to convert is discontinued even though it is only a few years old.

Is 100mm travel enough for xc / downhill riding? Doesn't seem like it and every build here is 120mm+.

#1,525 ·
Really a bummer with the lack of fork options. I have a 3rd Gen with a 140mm fork, and it feels perfect. Fork is showing serious signs of wear now, and as soon as it ceases to work, I will probably retire the frame.

Maybe you can find the spare parts if you post in the appropriate section here or scour eBay etc? Or contact Fox directly? I think 120mm would work. For me it is less the travel, but the steeper head angle is sh*tty for downhill. Coming down from 150mm you'd steepen the angle by more than 2° I believe (2cm = 1°?).

#1,526 ·
I am currently waiting for my new 26” wheel set.
Not sure what year mine is, I think it is a 2014 the tennis yellow.
Anyway, build it up originally with spare parts as 27.5” back up bike but now I want to ride a bit more and the standover height is a bit sketchy with the 27.5 wheels and also use it a bit as a dj bike.
Just fitted a dropper and with the new wheels it will also be converted from ghetto 1x to a proper 1x12.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.