Page 40 of 52 FirstFirst ... 30 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 50 ... LastLast
Results 976 to 1,000 of 1286
    mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Map204 View Post
    EBB!!! Has anyone replaced the EBB on their Chameleon? I'm getting creaking from my crank and I'm betting it's water that's entered the EBB. I'm just wondering if replacing the stock wedge with something nicer from the someone like Bushnell or Phil Wood.
    Just as an idea does it still make the same noise when you are standing up? I thought for sure my bottom bracket was squeaking but it ended up being the top part of my Thompson seat post when I was sitting down. I took it apart and cleaned the surfaces and it still makes a little noise.

When tightened the EBB itself shouldn't squeak, and I don't see how water would cause any issues if it is tight, but maybe your bottom bracket itself is squeaking?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    can these frame be converted to 650B wheels? any review on the 2013 chamelion???

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Post your lizards. (Chameleon)-sc.jpg

'06 Frame
    Fox Float 160 RLC
    XTR Shifting (Deore front d)
    FSA Crank (2x9 with bashguard)
    Avid Juicy 7 brakes (160r/180f)
    Thompson seatpost and stem
    Chris King Headset
    Azonic Outlaw Wheelset
    Maxxis Minion 2.35 tires

Love it

meh?
    Quote Originally Posted by mbrick View Post
    Just as an idea does it still make the same noise when you are standing up? I thought for sure my bottom bracket was squeaking but it ended up being the top part of my Thompson seat post when I was sitting down. I took it apart and cleaned the surfaces and it still makes a little noise.

When tightened the EBB itself shouldn't squeak, and I don't see how water would cause any issues if it is tight, but maybe your bottom bracket itself is squeaking?
    It doesn't stop once I stand up. It's the BB or the EBB. I think I'm just going to grease them and then see what's up. Thanks!
    2013 Chromag Rootdown
    2010 SC Chameleon
    2001 Specalized Rockhopper FSR

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

just picked up a new frame...need some help!

Hi all,

I've been scoping this awesome thread for like the last 2 weeks and I finally decided it was time to reach out for some help from the fellow chameleon owners!

I just picked up a chameleon 4 frame (size Large, 2012 I think?), and I am totally new to mountain biking, even more-so to putting together a bike. I am trying to build up this frame but I've had a really difficult time figuring out which parts are the right ones for a chameleon frame. I want to make sure that I don't try to put something on the bike that a) isn't the right size b) damages the bike c) would be unsafe.

I have been scouring the web trying to find out which parts and dimensions are the right fit for the chameleon, but I have yet to run across anything that has the specifics on it (most of that info seems to have disappeared when the 2013 model came out).

The parts that are most confusing to me to figure out are:
    1) Headset- which size and threadless or threaded?
    2) Fork (I know the travel limit goes from about 120mm-160mm) but what size is best and how long should the top single tube going through the headset (sorry if there is a specific name for it) be for a size large frame?
    3) Seatpost- what circumference will fit?

Thank you in advance for your help! I'll be sure to post about how the build is going!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by D STEW View Post
    Hi all,

I've been scoping this awesome thread for like the last 2 weeks and I finally decided it was time to reach out for some help from the fellow chameleon owners!

I just picked up a chameleon 4 frame (size Large, 2012 I think?), and I am totally new to mountain biking, even more-so to putting together a bike. I am trying to build up this frame but I've had a really difficult time figuring out which parts are the right ones for a chameleon frame. I want to make sure that I don't try to put something on the bike that a) isn't the right size b) damages the bike c) would be unsafe.

I have been scouring the web trying to find out which parts and dimensions are the right fit for the chameleon, but I have yet to run across anything that has the specifics on it (most of that info seems to have disappeared when the 2013 model came out).

2) Fork (I know the travel limit goes from about 120mm-160mm) but what size is best and how long should the top single tube going through the headset (sorry if there is a specific name for it) be for a size large frame?

Thank you in advance for your help! I'll be sure to post about how the build is going!
    Here is some info:
    http://www.santacruzmtb.com/chameleon/faq.php
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 SC Nickel LT
    Incoming: 2008 Lotus Exige S 240
    '12 Toy FJ TT
    '05 Cooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Hi all,

Lots of respect for starting out and building a Chameleon. I've also noticed the 2013 specs are taking over. Following answers for your 2012:

1) Headset: 1 1/8, NON-tapered; beware tapered headsets and forks, as they won't fit in the 2012 frame since it has a straight 1 1/8 headtube. Always threadless, especially for mtb. Even road bikes these days don't use threaded any more (thankfully).
    2) Fork: You're right about the recommended travel range; what's best really depends on where/how you're riding. More travel soaks up bigger hits on rough descents, but it also raises the front end of the bike, which can cause it to wander on steep climbs from not enough weight on the front wheel. You've also probably noticed there are some models of forks with a travel adjust feature, which may seem like the best of both worlds, enabling you to drop the travel for climbs, and increase it for descents. This may be something to consider, however be aware that travel-adjust, as opposed to fixed-travel forks, are generally more expensive, heavier, and possibly more prone to reliability issues. Sorry the "best travel" answer isn't more definite, it just depends on a lot of factors, including personal preference. As for the steerer tube length, you want to make sure it's long enough to accommodate the stack height of the headset cups (both top and bottom), the frame's headtube, the stem, and probably a spacer or two. As an example, I know the 2012 L Chameleon frame has a 5.1in head tube, an average headset total stack height is about 30mm, most stems have a 40mm clamp stack height, and let's suppose you want to run 20mm total of spacers. That's 130+30+40+20= 220mm steerer tube required. Without getting into how threadless headsets work (interesting read, necessary if you're planning on doing the build yourself), just always err on the side of too long a steerer tube when buying a fork. It can always be cut down, but not lengthened. This shouldn't be an issue if buying a new fork since they always come super long.
    3) Seatpost diameter is 30.9mm. Be sure you get one long enough as well so, when raised to your optimum pedaling height, there is a sufficient length in the frame to prevent scary bendage/snappage. However for the 2012 Chameleon I know from personal experience if it's too long, you won't be able to drop your seat very far (for descents) since the bottom of the seatpost will hit the water bottle bosses on the inside of the frame.

Hope this helps, good luck and have fun with your build!

addict

Check this site

Hi all,

Lots of info on older SC models here.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Chameleon Raw Color

Hello everyone... im from mexico city... always looking forward to build a chameleon... here in mexico it is very dificult to find some used frames... I was glimpsed by SoWal_MTBer built...

SoWalMTBer: you did an excellent work with the frame, thanks again for your details.

Then I bought this raw frame from SoWalMTBer... and after some days it arrived to Mexico... I stripped it again... asked for some decals to SC, this time in black color... some sand working and aluminum cleaning... I had some issues removing the headset... so I leaved it there... put the decals on... send the frame to a automotive professional ($100 USD) and applied a transparent gloss finish... the results are great... now im planning to build it up... more patience to find the proper equipment according to my riding style...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your lizards. (Chameleon)-chameleon-before.jpg  

Post your lizards. (Chameleon)-chameleon-after.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fparra View Post
    Hello everyone... im from mexico city... always looking forward to build a chameleon... here in mexico it is very dificult to find some used frames... I was glimpsed by SoWal_MTBer built...

SoWalMTBer: you did an excellent work with the frame, thanks again for your details.

Then I bought this raw frame from SoWalMTBer... and after some days it arrived to Mexico... I stripped it again... asked for some decals to SC, this time in black color... some sand working and aluminum cleaning... I had some issues removing the headset... so I leaved it there... put the decals on... send the frame to a automotive professional ($100 USD) and applied a transparent gloss finish... the results are great... now im planning to build it up... more patience to find the proper equipment according to my riding style...
    Nice! How safe is it to ride around the trails In Mexico City with a nice expensive bike?
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 SC Nickel LT
    Incoming: 2008 Lotus Exige S 240
    '12 Toy FJ TT
    '05 Cooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

meh?
    Impressive work man! I think I might do this once my paint wears through. Did you document your process?

Quote Originally Posted by Fparra View Post

2013 Chromag Rootdown
    2010 SC Chameleon

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Impressive work man! I think I might do this once my paint wears through. Did you document your process?
    It is a two stages work.....

Stage 1: The first stage was by SoWal... he did an excellent work... please read his post.... Post your lizards. (Chameleon)

Stage 2: I only stripped it again... it was only removing decals... SoWal didnīt applied any gloss... and the aluminum in raw color begans to get dirty .... the only thing I did was cleaning it up... and sanding again... and I sent it to an expert in automotive paint for the transparent finish ... you can applied a matte or brilliant... I choosed brilliant....

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn View Post
    Nice! How safe is it to ride around the trails In Mexico City with a nice expensive bike?
    Hi!!... You'd be amazed... you can find top of the line bikes in mexican trails... you can always ride with someone else... with our toys, always and everywhere we need to be cautious... everywhere in the world we are always at risk that someone take it borrowed and didn't gave it back... enjoy your rides!!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Thanks!!!

Thank you so much for all of your reply posts! They were spot on and you all saved me countless hours of Internet cruising! I've started picking out some of the parts based on the suggestions. The real trick now will be the build! Pictures coming soon! Y'all chameleon owners are the best!

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

EBB Maintenance

It doesn't stop once I stand up. It's the BB or the EBB. I think I'm just going to grease them and then see what's up. Thanks!
    Regarding EBB maintenance I found these video...

Santa Cruz Chameleon Eccentric Bottom Bracket Service - YouTube

igz
    mtbr member
    May 2009

Smile My Chameleon

Hi all

Santa Cruz Chameleon (Large) 2011 frame

Philosophy behind this build was to put together a bike that was: robust, do-it-all purpose, quiet and light. Making it light was not the most important thing for me, however I did try my best. After owning Reign X 2009 and Reign 1 2011, I really wanted a bike that pedalled great uphill, that could take some AM abuse on local trails and that can take me around town if need be.

I've been saving for about 10 months to get all the parts and finally I put it together few weeks ago. I have been taking it to local XC trails and went to the city few times. All I can say that I LOVE IT. Sure, my behind needed some time to get used to no suspension at the back but now I'm very much used to it. I'm not the type of the rider who races and needs FS bike no matter what. In time, if I decide that I need FS bike, I'll get/build one but for now Lizard is more than enough. I love it!

The Build:

Frame - large
    Wheels - (front) Mavic Crossmax SX, (rear) DT Swiss E2200
    Fork - Fox 36 Float -- I'm very glad I went with this fork, it is ideal I think
    Crank - RaceFace Atlas Freeride (single ring setup)
    Chainring - RaceFace 36t
    Bar - Answer ProTaper 720mm
    Stem - Easton Havoc 50mm
    Brakes - Shimano XT - (front 203mm) (rear 180mm)
    Seatpost - Thomson Elite
    Saddle - WTB Vigo
    Rear derailleur - SRAM X9, 10 speed, medium cage
    Pedals - Blackspire Sub4 blue -- I ordered black ones but I got blue ones, I'll keep them for now
    Tires - Kenda BBG 2.35
    Bashguard - Gamut P30
    Chain tensioner - Blackspire Stinger BB
    Headset - FSA Orbit MX
    Spacers - Straitline
    Grips - ODI Lock-On

Cheers
    igz
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your lizards. (Chameleon)-santa-cruz-chameleon-1.jpg  

Post your lizards. (Chameleon)-santa-cruz-chameleon-2.jpg  

Post your lizards. (Chameleon)-santa-cruz-chameleon-3.jpg  

Post your lizards. (Chameleon)-santa-cruz-chameleon-4.jpg  

Post your lizards. (Chameleon)-santa-cruz-chameleon-5.jpg  

Post your lizards. (Chameleon)-santa-cruz-chameleon-6.jpg  

Post your lizards. (Chameleon)-santa-cruz-chameleon-7.jpg  

Post your lizards. (Chameleon)-santa-cruz-chameleon-8.jpg  

Post your lizards. (Chameleon)-santa-cruz-chameleon-9.jpg  

Post your lizards. (Chameleon)-santa-cruz-chameleon-10.jpg  

Last edited by igz; 11-23-2012 at 06:29 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Awesome igz!! Nice build writeup and photos. Looks like a fun ride!

Enduroist
    Mar 2007
    Question for all you Lizard owners. Just picked up a V4 Chameleon on the big Santa Cruz frame blowout, and need some advice. Should I stick to the current head angle, or should I put a 1 degree slacking headset from Works Components on it? Link to headset: Works Components - 1 0 Degree EC34 - Traditional 1 1 8 Fitment

I plan to build this thing up for everything from dirt jumping to ripping flowy dh trails to pulling my kiddo around in the chariot. In general I like slacker bikes. I am putting a 150mm coil Sektor on it and going 1x10.

Stoked to be joining the Lizard owning club, and will post a pic of my new whip when I get it done in a few weeks (still need to procure a crankset and a few other small bits, including headset).

meh?
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshP View Post
    Question for all you Lizard owners. Just picked up a V4 Chameleon on the big Santa Cruz frame blowout, and need some advice. Should I stick to the current head angle, or should I put a 1 degree slacking headset from Works Components on it? Link to headset: Works Components - 1 0 Degree EC34 - Traditional 1 1 8 Fitment

I plan to build this thing up for everything from dirt jumping to ripping flowy dh trails to pulling my kiddo around in the chariot. In general I like slacker bikes. I am putting a 150mm coil Sektor on it and going 1x10.

Stoked to be joining the Lizard owning club, and will post a pic of my new whip when I get it done in a few weeks (still need to procure a crankset and a few other small bits, including headset).
    The Sektor should have a pretty long axle to crown length (529mm), as well as 10mm more travel than Santa Cruz's "sweet spot". This will give the bike a slacker angle to begin with.

I have a Manitou Tower 120mm which has a 530mm axle to crown length and I love it, but I do trail riding. I guess use this information as you will, but I don't see it doing any damage. Personally I wouldn't, but that's just a personal taste thing.
    Congrats on the new frame!
    2013 Chromag Rootdown
    2010 SC Chameleon

igz
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    What about running something like Fox 36, that will slacken the angle?

igz
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    Thanx mate! Awesome bike! ;-)

meh?
    Quote Originally Posted by igz View Post
    What about running something like Fox 36, that will slacken the angle?
    It depends on the axle to crown length. Off the top of my head, I think santa cruz said anything from 480-something to about 530mm. I didn't look that up. As the axle to crown length gets longer, the head tube angle gets more slack. Look up the details of the Fox 36 (i didn't readily find it on their site) and it should be in there.

The Fox36 might be overkill for the Chameleon though. 160-180mm of travel? They suggest 100mm to 140mm as the "sweet spot", though there are many examples of it handling much more.
    2013 Chromag Rootdown
    2010 SC Chameleon

igz
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    Hmmm... not sure about those lengths and things but I wouldn't go over 160mm travel fork anyway. 36 - 160 feels just so nice and solid, without much extra weight from 150mm fork.

meh?
    My Manitou's a2c length is 530mm and that was at the high end of the range. That's really all I can say with any real certainty. I did my research when I bought the fork, but that was a few months ago and I don't remember everything exactly now.

I've ridden a Nomad with a Fox 36 160mm on it and you're right, it feels amazing.
    2013 Chromag Rootdown
    2010 SC Chameleon

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    New 2013 Large Chameleon Tennis Yellow. I am going to have a busy winter building this!

Page 40 of 52 FirstFirst ... 30 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 50 ... LastLast