Page 39 of 51 FirstFirst ... 29 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 49 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Been lurking a while, almost all on this thread. Figured now's a good time for first post since my lizzy isn't filthy for once, after a nice overhaul and clean. If anyone's interested in specs just ask.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your lizards. (Chameleon)-img_1465.jpg  

Post your lizards. (Chameleon)-img_1470.jpg  

Post your lizards. (Chameleon)-img_1481.jpg  

Post your lizards. (Chameleon)-img_1489.jpg  

mtbr member
    Rebuilt my 05 Chameleon again a few months back for a DJ/slalom build, here's a rough history of past builds:
    2008: 1st - rigid singlespeed, short fork, V-brakes. Really lightweight, handled like a razor

2009: 2nd - SS AM hardtail. 140mm travel Rockshox Pike, mullet brake setup (disc front, V-brake rear)
    Stripped the dark blue paint off the frame sometime around this time.

2010: 3rd - AM hardtail 1x9. Rockshox Pike, SRAM X9 1x9 setup. Transition revolution wheelset
    2012: 4th - DJ/slalom bike.

XL Chameleon was always way too small for XC so I figured I'd follow the wisdom of getting a size too small of Chameleon if you're planning on jumping on it. Other than the fork and handlebars, everything else were just spare parts sitting around so it was a pretty cheap bike to throw together.

Rockshox Sektor RL Solo Air, lowered to 100mm
    Immortis Bucket Bars 32" wide, 4" ride
    Generic DK stem
    E13 STP chainguide
    Avid Road BB7s with super vintage XT levers.
    Kenda K-Rad tires til they wear out. I throw a Nevegal up front for dirt days.

Love this bike so much.
    Last edited by GTscoob; 08-03-2012 at 03:07 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I am looking to getting a frame and building up a chameleon for XC/Single track type riding. I am 6'1 and weight about 190 lbs. I am trying to decide whether to go with a Large frame or a XL frame. Can anyone suggest a size?

Also, does anyone know anything about turning a chameleon into a 69er?

meh?
    Has anyone else noticed that SC has updated the chameleon? I mean, it's not ground breaking, but it's different. 26" version of the Highball.
    It's got ISCG mounts and a tapered head tube now. Apparently it's a pound lighter too.

"The world’s most versatile hardtail just got a serious makeover. New hydroformed aluminum tubing eliminates the need for gussets and shaves a pound of weight off the frame without sacrificing any of the legendary toughness the Chameleon is known for. We’ve added ISCG05 mounts and a tapered headtube, and riders can now choose between fixed vertical rear dropouts for geared use or adjustable
    swinger-style dropouts for singlespeed setups. The top tube grew a little in length, and the head angle has become a degree slacker. All new, more awesome than ever"

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    GT - what are you running for chainrings on your latest build? It is indeed a blast to ride...

For you guys running 1x9 can you provide a parts list of what it takes? It looks like the shifters just come with a spool of cable sticking out. As far as the sheath and other parts though?

Quote Originally Posted by Map204 View Post
    Has anyone else noticed that SC has updated the chameleon? I mean, it's not ground breaking, but it's different. 26" version of the Highball.
    It's got ISCG mounts and a tapered head tube now. Apparently it's a pound lighter too.
    I just looked at their site earlier today and did notice. The logos on the frame are in a different font. The frame looked slightly different but I couldn't find a list of the changes.

So what does this mean, worth upgrading to a new frame?

How are people mounting the MRP chain guides on their older bikes?

Thanks for posting details about it.

I wreck alot
    Quote Originally Posted by mbrick View Post
    GT - what are you running for chainrings on your latest build? It is indeed a blast to ride...

For you guys running 1x9 can you provide a parts list of what it takes? It looks like the shifters just come with a spool of cable sticking out. As far as the sheath and other parts though?

I just looked at their site earlier today and did notice. The logos on the frame are in a different font. The frame looked slightly different but I couldn't find a list of the changes.

So what does this mean, worth upgrading to a new frame?

Thanks for posting details about it.
    The chain guides are BB mount guides.

mtbr member

I think I'm using the stock Truvativ chainring that came with the Stylo crankset, either that or a 32T FSA ring that came with another SS FSA crank. Ultegra 12-27 cassette out back for decent tight gearing.

BB mounted ISCG05 adapter to mount the E13 STP guide. SRAM X7 rear shifter, X9 rear derailleur.

For 1x9, you'll need some form of chain retention, either full on chainguide or locked out FD/1x guide/thirdeye with a bashguard. Old front derailleur locked out works best but is ugly and offers no bash protection.

New frame has slightly different geometry, I think I saw shorter chainstays and slacker head angle, factory ISCG05 mounts, tapered headtube. Pivoting rear dropouts for SS ability rather than EBB (3rd gen) or track ends (1st and 2nd gen). All worthwhile upgrades, and it looks a lot more like the gen1/2 frames which is a good thing IMO.

meh?
    What's the largest tire you can fit on the rear of the Chameleon? I mean, I know they say 2.35 is the largest, but I've see people complain that it doesnt' work. The new ones boast that they'll fit 2.5. What I'm looking for is a high volume tire, not necessarily the widest. I ride WTB Velociraptor 2.1 right now. It's good, but I feel like the Conti Mountain King 2.2 might provide a better ride and better traction. I'm just looking for some tire suggestions.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Can anyone with a Lizard Skins chainstay protector share the size for a Chameleon? I am guestimating jumbo.

mtbr member
    What's the largest tire you can fit on the rear of the Chameleon? I mean, I know they say 2.35 is the largest, but I've see people complain that it doesnt' work. The new ones boast that they'll fit 2.5. What I'm looking for is a high volume tire, not necessarily the widest. I ride WTB Velociraptor 2.1 right now. It's good, but I feel like the Conti Mountain King 2.2 might provide a better ride and better traction. I'm just looking for some tire suggestions.
    I've routinely run 2.3-2.4" rear tires on my gen2 Chameleon and think that the newer ones have more clearance. No doubt at all that it would fit a 2.5 with due clearance.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Update and Upgrades!

Quote Originally Posted by njonesy_07 View Post
    Yup, just straight yellow. Its been used (obviously) so in the sunlight it may seem a bit more "dull", not quite as vibrant yellow as it once was.

I enjoy the bike too, its great. I just need to lighten it up a little bit and it'll be perfect. I'm really wanting to get a Rockshox Revelation for it, the Domain 318 I have on there is very heavy and more travel than I really need. I'm running a 22/36/bash with an 11-34t cassette. I can get that baby to climb up anything in the "granny" while maintaining good pedaling speed on flat and downhills.

I'm going to call Santa Cruz and request new stickers for it. I am very tempted to ask for silver stickers, as I may end up powdercoating the frame red like the one they have listed on the website.

I love it
    Update!

Made some changes and upgrades over the summer:

Sold Rockshox Domain 318 and Bontrager Big Earl wheelset!

Added:
    -Rockshox Revelation RCT3 Dual Position Air - 15mm QR - 150mm/130mm Travel
    -Bontrager "Duster" Wheelset --> Tubeless
    -Thomson "Set Back" seatpost
    -Easton Haven bars w/ Ergon Grips
    -Shimano SLX front derailleur

Also added waterbottle cages to compliment the red accent color I'm trying to show. I'll be picking up a red "Salsa" seat post clamp too. Eventually I'd like to rebuild the wheels with upgraded hubs and red spokes or nipples.

Santa Cruz sent me a full Chameleon decal set up. I will be powder-coating the frame this winter in the same yellow color to freshen it up. I'm hoping to upgrade the shifting group around the same time as the powder coat (X9 shifters & rear derailleur).

In the meantime, she'll be on the trail as much as possible!

meh?
    Hey! Looks good! Love that color. I can't wait to see it after you've done the powder coating. I'm in the same boat. I've got a peeling decal on the drive side of my bike, but no other decals anywhere. I'm interested to see how easy it is for you to get the frame painted.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Hey! Looks good! Love that color. I can't wait to see it after you've done the powder coating. I'm in the same boat. I've got a peeling decal on the drive side of my bike, but no other decals anywhere. I'm interested to see how easy it is for you to get the frame painted.
    It'll be pretty simple. I had a Norco frame done in a lime-green two summers ago now. Just remove all the components and decals. It turns out to be a really great finish that holds up well to the weather and abuse.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by njonesy_07 View Post
    It'll be pretty simple. I had a Norco frame done in a lime-green two summers ago now. Just remove all the components and decals. It turns out to be a really great finish that holds up well to the weather and abuse.
    How much weight did the powdercoating add to the Norco frame?

I like the yellow!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Not enough for me to tell a difference, but then again I did not have it weighed. I will weigh the Chameleon frame (before and after) to get an idea....my guess is that the difference would be negligible.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Frame in Mexico

[QUOTE=SoWal_MTBer;9151041]I recently picked up my first Santa Cruz frame from a fellow forum member. Seeing as how there was little information on Chameleon builds out there, I thought I'd start this thread on my build process to hopefully help someone else in the future.

Here is the '09 Chameleon green frame as I purchased it.

JOE: thanks a lot, finally I put my hands on it... its great....

mtbr member
    How much weight did the powdercoating add to the Norco frame?

I like the yellow!
    I don't feel the Chameleon frame was designed to compete in the weight catagory. Its strengths lie in stiffness, strength, and build flexibility.

-Lule

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fparra View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SoWal_MTBer View Post
    I recently picked up my first Santa Cruz frame from a fellow forum member. Seeing as how there was little information on Chameleon builds out there, I thought I'd start this thread on my build process to hopefully help someone else in the future.
    Wait what?

The Chameleon is one of the longest running mountain bikes, there is a wealth of information about setting them up, especially in this thread. I had a friend tell me that you're not a real mountain biker until you've owned a Chameleon.

Great frames for everything except all out freeriding. I've loved my Chameleon in each different way, just build it how you want it and the bike will be great.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Hi all

I wonder does anyone here been install a Shimano Alfine or Nexus on Chameleon?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Courier_Six View Post
    Been lurking a while, almost all on this thread. Figured now's a good time for first post since my lizzy isn't filthy for once, after a nice overhaul and clean. If anyone's interested in specs just ask.
    Is that 150 float and 32T chainring? been looking for matched 32T chainguide
    Spez Enduro EVO 2012
    SC Chameleon 2012

meh?
    Update

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by rsumantri View Post
    Is that 150 float and 32T chainring? been looking for matched 32T chainguide
    140 Float, 150 feels a little tall to me on climbs, and I didn't want the price, weight, and reliability issues of a travel adjust. It is a 32 chainring. What kind of guide are you looking for? I'm curious if anyone's had any luck running a clutch derailleur with a roller-less guide, or no guide at all?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Update

Is that a 29er fork?

meh?
    Quote Originally Posted by eyderman View Post
    Is that a 29er fork?
    Yup! 26 inch wheel though. Sry, I should have posted specs.
    It was $200 on CRC, which is a steal for the Tower. The axle to crown length is in the center of the suggested range for the chameleon and it's got 120mm travel, so it all works out.

meh?
    EBB!!! Has anyone replaced the EBB on their Chameleon? I'm getting creaking from my crank and I'm betting it's water that's entered the EBB. I'm just wondering if replacing the stock wedge with something nicer from the someone like Bushnell or Phil Wood.

I have a stream that I have to cross twice on my favorite local trail. I don't submerge the BB, but it gets very wet. It hasn't been a problem until recently.

Page 39 of 51 FirstFirst ... 29 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 49 ... LastLast