Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 202627282930
Results 1,451 to 1,461 of 1461
    mtbr member
    May 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBR_Saris View Post
    Who wants to take bets that the Chameleon comes back as a plus sized model?
    That's what was intimated to me... a new model Chameleon that could switch between 27.5+ and 29 wheel sizes. Take it with a huge grain of salt... this is just the word of one bike shop guy, based on what he said he saw on next years price list.

mtbr member
    Anybody running a 120mm fork on their '15-'16 Chameleon?

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Surf View Post
    Anybody running a 120mm fork on their '15-'16 Chameleon?
    That's what I'd like to do with my '11 instead of the 140mm on there at the moment.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Nope. 130mm on my '14 though.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Picked up a Chameleon in the D config as I couldn't find a frame anywhere. I've always had my eye on the Chameleon and finally pulled the trigger when competitive cyclist lowered their prices. I will be running mine single speed as soon as the dropouts get here and the wheels are built. Anyway, noticed the sticker on my frame for size also states that the bike is meant for 29" wheels. Obviously a mistake, but has anyone else had the wrong sticker placed on their frame? Think this happed at the factory or the dealer? Post your lizards. (Chameleon)-img_20160917_095128.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
    That's what I'd like to do with my '11 instead of the 140mm on there at the moment.
    Also would like to move to a lighter 1 1/8 fork for mine. Hard to find a non-taper.

mtbr member
    2016 Santa Cruz Chameleon R Build Large. Took her on her maiden voyage today:

Post your lizards. (Chameleon)-2.jpg
    Post your lizards. (Chameleon)-1.jpg

This is my first 650b (non+). Bike is super fun. It wheelies and manuals super easy. Plus there's nothing like standing up and mashing on a hardtail. The Rock Shox Sector Gold fork 130mm did well. One thing that surprised me is the Shimano SLX push/pull shifter also works like a push/push (something I found out by accident as I am used to Sram). I am halfway through a 1x10 conversion as I'm still waiting for my Goatlink and Sunrace 11-42 to arrive. With the Race Face 32nw and 11-36 cassette I don't know if I need more gearing. It climbed well in the 32-36, so I'm gonna have to think about that one. After flipping the large stem spacer to the top, the cockpit felt good. I like the size of the stock Race Face stem (70mm), so I'll probably keep it for a while. The stock bars are nice and wide, but I'd like a little more rise. I plan on getting carbon bars, so I'll get 'em with more rise. Only thing I think it really needs is a dropper post. Stock tires are Maxxis Minion DHRII 2.3 (F) and Maxxis Ardent 2.25 (R). They came stock tubeless with Stans added, and came with two little bottles of Stans. Initial Impression is it's a great bike. Dropper Post and Carbon Bars I'm gonna get immediately, with a Chromag Ranger or Deity Cavity stem and Hope Brakes on the not-so distant future list.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Carbon bars don't provide a ton of weight gain, and they can splinter into a million pieces from a hard impact. I'd honestly stick with aluminum, just for durability and safety. Or, at least be sure to stick with a reputable brand.

Really nice bike you have!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I disagree with sticking the to aluminum comment. As you noted if you stick with a reputable brand, and clamp accordingly with a torque wrench and all you should be fine. Greg Minnar and many other pro downhill riders ride on a level that most of us will never reach with carbon bars, that are 200mm+ wide with complete confidence.

NOW, that's not to say there aren't any incidents of carbon bars cracking, or breaking but I'd say it's so nominal that you should not even worry if you stick with a reputable company. Easton, Enve, Sram, just a name a few.

You'll probably break a bone in your body from hard impact crash before you break carbon. At least it's happened to me.

Now if you're gonna buy a Enve knock off from China that doesn't even look like anything on the market, then I'd be worried.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    There's a YouTube clip of a guy standing with both feet in the clamp area of a cheap Chinese mtb bar with the grips on bricks. He's bouncing on it and when it breaks, says "and that's why you don't buy cheap Chinese stuff".

mtbr member
    Went with aluminum bars to keep the cost down, and added a Chromag ranger 60mm:

Post your lizards. (Chameleon)-3.jpg
    Post your lizards. (Chameleon)-4.jpg

Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 202627282930