Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Post your Butchers & Nickels!

345K views 2K replies 249 participants last post by  Shawn in da Canyon 
#1 ·
Let's see these sexy beasts!

I'll Start:

Butcher R AM w/ Fox Float 32 in the front

And here's the mutilator with Mt Tamalpais in the background- sun glare kinda missed up the pic :(

See less See more
#60 ·
I hope to have my seabright blue Butcher soon, but I have to wait for the Canecreek Angleset to slacken it out. It's replacing a Trek Remedy that I was REALLY unhappy with(regressive shock rate).

I have a Tapered Lyrik but need to buy a 1 1/8 crown/steerer/upper assembly. Does anybody need a tapered Lyrik C/S/U assembly?

#62 ·
rattpoison said:
I hope to have my seabright blue Butcher soon, but I have to wait for the Canecreek Angleset to slacken it out. It's replacing a Trek Remedy that I was REALLY unhappy with(regressive shock rate).

I have a Tapered Lyrik but need to buy a 1 1/8 crown/steerer/upper assembly. Does anybody need a tapered Lyrik C/S/U assembly?
what year remedy? can't wait to hear the ride comparison.

#63 ·
It was a 2008, so it does not have the 2010 drcv shock, or whatever it's called. I recently spent a lot of time tuning my DH bike's rear shock(tried 3 shocks, both air and coil, with 3 spring weights), and throwing an Avalanche damper to replace the Boxxer's stock Moco unit.

When I fiished the DH bike and focused on my AM bike, which I thought would be cake by comparison. The Remedy had the geometry, weight, and sizing I was looking for, but unlike my DH bike, no damper/spring replacement would fix the problem.

The problem is that the Remedy has a regressive suspension design and a high volume Float shock. There is a big MTBR thread about Remedy owners having horrible small bump compliance with the air pressure required to prevent bottoming. With the higher air volume and digressive design, the initial spring rate had to be pretty damn high, since there was less progression to the ending spring rate. It was also tougher to pump the bike through the terrain without the initial "give" of the suspension.

A lot of people recommended packing the high volume air can full of plastic strips to reduce air volume and ramp up the spring rate more quickly. I did this, and the suspension felt significantly better. However, I'm still not happy. 5.8lbs sans shock is a nice frame weight, though.

What brought my attention to Santa Cruz is the attention to the spring rate curve. Not only is it progressive, the initial regressive starting stroke seems to just make sense. I'm pretty sure the "feel" of the bikes will be dramatically different.

#71 ·
four months later...

Tire Wheel Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel Bicycle tire

quickly pieced together. need to take it back in and cut down the steerer, string up the cables, install a chain, and torque some bits and pieces. went together smoothly. now i ride as much as possible until it starts to snow!

weight of large frame (with seatpost collar) was 7.48# on the digital scale.

Motor vehicle Blue Automotive design Automotive exterior Electric blue

looks like the drive-side of the pivot on the downtube is missing something. i haven't taken it apart yet. anyone else notice this?

#754 ·
Did you ever confirm.....

That the drive side main pivot was missing the bearing cap? Just got a nickel and the same is on mine. Nice bike BTW.:thumbsup:

View attachment 565150

quickly pieced together. need to take it back in and cut down the steerer, string up the cables, install a chain, and torque some bits and pieces. went together smoothly. now i ride as much as possible until it starts to snow!

weight of large frame (with seatpost collar) was 7.48# on the digital scale.

View attachment 565151

looks like the drive-side of the pivot on the downtube is missing something. i haven't taken it apart yet. anyone else notice this?

#75 ·
PVD, have you ridden your Butcher at Pacifica yet? I'm planning to switch out my Float R for a Cane Creek or Fox RC4 down the road- but I think an upgrade to some Formula The One brakes is in store first. I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on the Butcher's handling at Pacifica. Are you going to be hitting all the jumps??? :D

#76 ·
I just got the bike together and photographed late last night. Tonight is Butter Lap, so I'm urban after work.

I don't hit the BIG dirt jumps there. A little out of this Marin boy's league. I do hit the lower stuff.

I hope to be there on Thursday shaking the bike down. Try to get two laps in on Mile and BS. We'll see. I'm not 100% about the springs that I've got in the bike, so I may be screwing around a bit.

Probably N-star this weekend on the M6.

I use Saint brakes on all my dirt bikes. Epic. Even my hard tail has them. The are just sooo fantastic.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.