Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Post your Butchers & Nickels!

345K views 2K replies 249 participants last post by  Shawn in da Canyon 
#1 ·
Let's see these sexy beasts!

I'll Start:

Butcher R AM w/ Fox Float 32 in the front

And here's the mutilator with Mt Tamalpais in the background- sun glare kinda missed up the pic :(

See less See more
#102 ·
I had a 1998 Black Heckler then an Spec Enduro SL for 4 years now I'm "back in black" on a 2010 Butcher. High speed stability and slamming the rough stuff seems on par with the Enduro but somehow it carves the tight single track better. The suspension also seems more balanced and compliant than the Enduro and I only have two rides on it.

My Butcher only has a watter bottle mount on the underside of the down tube, hmm.

1998 Heckler

#104 · (Edited)
nickel

Here is mine. Just built up last week. Rode it this weekend and loved it. Enough travel to hammer everything but not to much to climb in comfort. The 120 reba makes it fairly quick in the tighter stuff although the front and rear is very well balanced. I'm running 1x10 XO. 34 up front and 12-36 on rear. no trouble at all.

Awsome bike

#109 ·
Haus Boss said:
First of many upgrades to come, just installed a Fox RC4 on my butcher!

Good stuff, but I think you've put it wrong/upside down, wouldn't the piggy clear the downtube if you put it the other way around, piggy pack up facing downwards?

How much was it for the DHX RC4? What spring do you use? First impressions?

#111 ·
hillwilly said:
@DenisonDesign, your Butcher looks great. I'm thinking of carrying my tire pump where the water bottle bolts are. A water bottle is going to get really dirty by whatever the front tire kicks up, I guess it would be ok for the street, but I'm a trail rider.
I tried a water bottle once there on my old Gary Fisher Joshua. The bottle wound up completely covered in mud every time I rode. I wound up just using my Camelbak. It holds my water AND my bike pump!

#112 ·
tp806 said:
Good stuff, but I think you've put it wrong/upside down, wouldn't the piggy clear the downtube if you put it the other way around, piggy pack up facing downwards?

How much was it for the DHX RC4? What spring do you use? First impressions?
Santa Cruz's website states some coil springs may need to be flipped for smaller Butcher frames. I thought it'd fit on the medium, but it doesn't have the clearance. I weigh around 185-190lb and I'm running a 450lb spring. I've taken it off a few 3' drops, but haven't hit any super aggressive AM riding since I installed it. I'm hoping to change that this next weekend. I may try toying with a 400lb spring to see how that feels since the 450 does seem a little stiff.

Here's a better shot:

#113 ·
goodvibe said:
I tried a water bottle once there on my old Gary Fisher Joshua. The bottle wound up completely covered in mud every time I rode. I wound up just using my Camelbak. It holds my water AND my bike pump!
On rides of less that 2 hours I use one of those funky water bottles with a cap covering the spout. REI has them. I think a Camleback is overkill sometimes. CO2, gel and my house keys and go...to Tamarancho right now! :D

George

#114 · (Edited)
how is the coil shock

Haus Boss said:
Santa Cruz's website states some coil springs may need to be flipped for smaller Butcher frames. I thought it'd fit on the medium, but it doesn't have the clearance. I weigh around 185-190lb and I'm running a 450lb spring. I've taken it off a few 3' drops, but haven't hit any super aggressive AM riding since I installed it. I'm hoping to change that this next weekend. I may try toying with a 400lb spring to see how that feels since the 450 does seem a little stiff.

So how do you like the coil shock over the the air shock on the Butcher? I am considering doing the same.

#115 ·
For those of you running a 160mm (545mm axle to crown fork) on your Butcher, how does your bike handle the uphills and tight-flowy singletrack? I have a 150mm on there right now (521mm C-A), thinking of upgraded to a 160mm or even a Lyrik 170mm coil. I'd probably get an angle reducing headset as it looks like the Butcher runs right around a 66.8 degree HA with a 545mm C-A fork.

#116 ·
In response to your question Daniel, the coil spring is too stiff on there right now (450b)! I'm going to order a 400lb spring and I think it'll be just right. It climbs like a dream at the moment but definitely not as plush as the Float R that was on there.

#117 ·
With Talas 160

I run Talas 160/120. It handles tight singletracks and fast cornering really well. I think that the side stiffness of the fork is really helpful is comparison to 32mm forks.
On uphill I use the 120 setting only when things get really steep. I could also get away with a fixed 160 fork, though it is nice to have the option. Please note the 170mm will violate SC warranty. I also don't think it is required on that bike. Are you sure there is an angle reducer for a tapered head-tube?

#118 ·
Not worried about the warranty too much (it's not like I'm thinking about throwing a 200mm Boxxer on here ;) ), I just want a bike I can peddle up hill and then do some light-ish freeride and descend super steep terrain with ease. A slack head angle of around 66.5 ( which is what it'd be on a 170mm fork) seems pretty ideal for this- I'm just wondering about the compromise I'll be making on less steep flow singletrack and the uphills. I've calculated my current head angle at 67.8 degrees based on the Fox 32's 521mm C-A.

#121 ·
Im climbing with 160mm front fork. On extremely steep uphills, it can get a little challenging, but non the less once you get used to it, it will climb anything well. I've only had the front end pop up a couple times, and that was on the first day I took it out. I'd say go for it.

#122 ·
I'm bout to do some serious pimping of my Butcher here in the next month.

Planned upgrades:
Formula Rx Brakes
RockShox Lyrik Solo Air 170mm Fork
Industry 9 or possibly Chris King wheelset
Twentysix Anodized Pedals
Easton Haven AM Carbon handlebars
WTB Devo Ti-Carbon seat

:cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.