Page 49 of 67 FirstFirst ... 39 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 59 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,225 of 1660
    mtbr member
    Lucky kid! Can't wait till my daughter is riding the trails with me!

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn View Post
    Nice bike! It looks like he is a velosexual.
    Quote Originally Posted by DAnREal View Post
    I'm jealous of the kid and I have my own!
    He loves riding. He went once with my wife (his stepmother) today and again with me. I figured the bike would last him at least 4 years and then a simple frame swap would get a few more, so amortized out it about $500 per year. It also didn't hurt that my sister kicked in $500 and my mom $200. We had a good shakedown ride today.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your Butchers & Nickels!-p1020877.jpg  

Post your Butchers & Nickels!-p1020879-2-.jpg  

Post your Butchers & Nickels!-p1020884-2-.jpg  

Riding slowly since 1977.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Lets talk Forks...

I'm in the market for a new fork, I can't stand my current float 120mm for a few reasons... 1: it's very twitchy due to the 9mm qr axel and 2: for it being a 120mm fork imnpretty bothered that I only get 3.75 in of ravel out of it. I know this is a common problem with fox forks but I'm in no way about to open the internals and start hacking away.... A service and sell is in its future.... So my research has turned me onto a few forks first being Rock shox World Cup revolution 150mm with a 15mm TA, I'll probably lower this fork to 130mm or so, second option is the Marzocchi 44 RC3 Ti, I know quite a few people run this fork on their nickel now and love it and by the reviews this fork seems to be best bang for buck. I'm really wanting a responsive tunable fork for AM riding, weight isn't am issue but money is I don't want to spend more then a grand(1000 US dollars) on the fork... I know I have a plethora of option in the table in this price range......thoughts?

mtbr noob
    "Jefe, would you say I have a plethora of pinatas ???".....

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
    roxo56
    Surly Troll 650b

mtbr member
    I'm in the market for a new fork, I can't stand my current float 120mm for a few reasons... 1: it's very twitchy due to the 9mm qr axel and 2: for it being a 120mm fork imnpretty bothered that I only get 3.75 in of ravel out of it. I know this is a common problem with fox forks but I'm in no way about to open the internals and start hacking away.... A service and sell is in its future.... So my research has turned me onto a few forks first being Rock shox World Cup revolution 150mm with a 15mm TA, I'll probably lower this fork to 130mm or so, second option is the Marzocchi 44 RC3 Ti, I know quite a few people run this fork on their nickel now and love it and by the reviews this fork seems to be best bang for buck. I'm really wanting a responsive tunable fork for AM riding, weight isn't am issue but money is I don't want to spend more then a grand(1000 US dollars) on the fork... I know I have a plethora of option in the table in this price range......thoughts?
    X fusion velvet. Great fork regardless of its price wich happens to around 400.00 on the bay.

mtbr member
    I originally posted this on a 650 thread and thought I would drop it in here for those interested. I paid $675 from a medium with the RL shock and it sat around while I collected parts to set up as a 650B. The inventory is as follows:

Fox 32 RL fork (non compression - mistake)
    XT cranks and shifters
    Formula RX brakes -I love them
    Crank Bros carbon bar - best bend and rise
    Thomson masterpiece seatpost with Ti hardware
    Thomson 70mm stem with Ti
    My old WTB seat - not light but I don't care, itís comfy
    Tioga flat pedals - I'm old and clip ins are no good for my knees, got to move around
    XTR lock-on hubs - I wanted silver hubs but only Hope has them and I have no experience with them. Also, they are 6 bolt and I like the lock-ons.
    Stans Crest hoops
    NeoMoto tubeless - my first experience with tubeless
    XT RD, XT 12-34 with 24/34 chainrings. Set up as a 9 speed.
    Sram XO FD 2 x 10 - seems to work OK but I have an XTR back up

I was surprised to weigh the frame with the RL and see it registered a massive 7.5 lbs. on my scale. However, the complete build out weighs 27.5 lbs which works fine for me.
    I have silver spokes, the grey/silver fork and other silver pieces on the bike because I am done with the black thing. Itís become real old and mud loves mat black. My former bike was a 26 Intense Spyder which weighed exactly a pound less with similar components. The BB height from the center of the BB to the floor is 13-7/8". That might seem high but I live just North of Boston, MA and riding over rocks, logs and roots is a way of life. With the extra height I have new found confidence and attack sections that used to intimidate me. I only have about 150 miles on it but so far I am very happy. In fact, I am shocked how successful this experiment is. Even with just a 34 on the back it seems to roll up hills. I donít think I will need a 36. The bike is very agile in the tight stuff and goes down-hill with confidence. Itís as if the SC designed this to be a 650. I suppose in the perfect world the chainstay could be 1/8 longer the BB could be 3/16 less but I would never notice it. Itís a fun bike and my only regret is that I waited so long to put it together. You will notice that I routed the cables under the top tube like an Intense or a Blur. Why SC put all the braze-ons for down tube routing mystifies me; it makes for longer cables that can get caught up and just looks ugly. I am also not convinced about continuous cables without tension stops. If I did not love the color so much I would attack the brackets since there is a lot of extraneous metal there. Nonetheless I am very surprised and happy. I have absolutely no regrets and will ride through the winter and enjoy it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your Butchers & Nickels!-dscf0586.jpg  

Post your Butchers & Nickels!-11-27-12-069.jpg  

Post your Butchers & Nickels!-11-27-12-070.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by vizsladog View Post
    X fusion velvet. Great fork regardless of its price wich happens to around 400.00 on the bay.
    I'm liking the reviews but I can't find a 140mm on eBay with a 15mm TA.... Do you run this fork? How easy is it to adjust travel and what about servicing the fork?

mtbr member
    I'm liking the reviews but I can't find a 140mm on eBay with a 15mm TA.... Do you run this fork? How easy is it to adjust travel and what about servicing the fork?
    If you buy it straight from X-fusion, which you can do, they will set it up for you.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    If you buy it straight from X-fusion, which you can do, they will set it up for you.
    I'm checking their website out now hopefully I see what I want

mtbr member
    Your best bet is to give them a call. They are really nice to deal with.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Your best bet is to give them a call. They are really nice to deal with.
    I'm trying to figure out if they ship to Japan....I'm out here on military orders so If I can't deal with them directly I might just buy one off eBay and adjust the travel myself

mtbr member
    That's a good question.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Just placed my order from jensonUSA for a x fusion velvet rl2 DLA now just a few more things till my bike is completely done and I can start on my next build

mtbr member
    great news. the fork is awesome and on their site they show you how to adjust travel

Mine is set at 140mm and it is smooth and stiff. I have a tapered 15mm

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by vizsladog View Post
    great news. the fork is awesome and on their site they show you how to adjust travel

Mine is set at 140mm and it is smooth and stiff. I have a tapered 15mm
    I got the DLA version so I'm assuming you then a knob to adjust travel... Unfortunately this fork (DLA version) isn't 650b compatable but that's nota huge issue to me since I wasn't planning in going 650b any time soon

mtbr member
    Who runs a coil on their butcher? If I was to get one, do I try to mimic the same "tune"as the air shock and what weight of spring ?
    I want to make my butcher into a mini DH bike thats why im asking
    Thanks in advance

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Whelp, here she is, my new frame.

Call it a Nickel EVO?

I needed a large frame, because the medium Remedy I was on before was causing back problems with how cramped it was.

Notables are:

-Van 36rc2 lowered to 145mm, piston honed, shimmed for more LSC

-Roco TST r air. Graphic says 57mm stroke, but its really 51mm (I don't know why). Rebuilt with my own custom seal kit using Minnesota Rubber genuine quad seals. If you need a rebuild kit let me know, I have a few left that I put together. Easy to service, simple to rebuild. IFP set for a more linear stroke, rebuilt with redline fluids. The best performing air shock I've ever run, and I've run most all of them, except for a CCDB air.

-Sun inferno 31 rims. Such a great rim for the money. 550g on my scale, and 26mm inner width. Lets those tires sit like they are supposed to. THe build quality was top notch, and they are even hand engraved by the person who checked and built the rim. Oh, they're, like, 45 bucks each or something.

-12x135 rear hub using the new hayes 12x135 to 10mm bolt on adapter. This is a sweeet piece for the money. O rings to keep it from sliding inside the hub, nice fit and finish, and it made the rear end nice and stiff. I was coming off of a thru axle rear on my old frame, and I couldn't go back to something floppy.

Overall, I'm really happy with the bike in our short time together. I transferred most of the parts from my old frame, and rebuilt/tweaked/modded them into exactly what I wanted for this bike. It's the first new frame I've ever had, so that was exciting. The 24"tt feels right on at 6' with a 50mm stem, and 1" of drop from the saddle to bars.

I wanted a shorter travel bike for snappy xc riding, but I still wanted something that I could shred Michigan lift access riding on when I travel with one bike (which is most of the time).

My remedy, when all was said and done, had a 65 head angle. Hopefully by summer I'll have a works components 1.5 degree cup in there to rake this out a bit. Even though I'm only getting 125mm of rear travel, the roco is plush, composed, and the bike feels totally bottomless. I've been riding on chopped up refrozed rutted out trails, and even in the 20 degree cold, the suspension soaks the small bumps up without feeling wallowy.

Any questions about the setup, let me know.

Hunter

Swedetarded
    Quote Originally Posted by CDMC View Post
    Photo of the year!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Hmm so I have a predicament.... Im currently running a 120mm stem and I want to shorten my stem some perhaps to around 80 or so but im really comfortable with the way it stands now. what size stem are you running for those of us who are 5'8" tall

mtbr member
    Hmm so I have a predicament.... Im currently running a 120mm stem and I want to shorten my stem some perhaps to around 80 or so but im really comfortable with the way it stands now. what size stem are you running for those of us who are 5'8" tall
    Wow, that's way to long a stem if you are riding a medium. I would shorten that up to anywhere between 70 and 90, but use a wider bar to make yourself feel comfortable. I'm riding a medium with. 90mm stem and 720mm bar. I'm 5'9".
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    Im 5'7", on a medium, 680mm bar and 90mm stem. Im also on a Thomson setback post with the seat set to the rear. Id like to try a 100 or 110mm stem sometime, but am very happy with my current setup.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I'm 5'10" riding a medium 650b Nickel. I have a 70mm stem and 720mm bars and it feels perfect for me.

Here is a teaser pic of what I am going to be building up next.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DYI01 View Post
    I'm 5'10" riding a medium 650b Nickel. I have a 70mm stem and 720mm bars and it feels perfect for me.

Here is a teaser pic of what I am going to be building up next.
    Building up a second Nickel?
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Building up a second Nickel?
    A Nickel "LT" It will probably push the limits a bit further than a few of you guys have with the 150mm fork, but I'm pretty sure the frame can handle it. I have a feeling that SC overbuilt these frames quite a bit judging by the weight. This will be a resort/park bike build reminiscent of the now discontinued Transition Bottlerocket.

What does a bean mean?!
    Apr 2011
    I am a lucky new member of the Nickel tribe! After riding and really liking both Santa Cruz's single-pivot and VPP bikes I took a chance and ordered one. Been for a few rides on it out here in Pisgah/DuPont and and I'm loving it so far. (Very intrigued in 650b'ing it but that's a different discussion...)

While researching the Nickel I remember reading something in a thread somewhere about a piece on these frames that breaks easily or is defective or something, and if you contact Santa Cruz they will send you a replacement. Now that I own one I'd like to go a head and get one of the replacement parts, just in case. I have searched some of the threads about the Nickel on here and can't find anything, so I'm asking you fellow Nickel owners to help me out!!

Does anyone know what I'm talking about or did all my internet searching infiltrate my brain and I dreamed this?!?

Page 49 of 67 FirstFirst ... 39 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 59 ... LastLast