Page 48 of 67 FirstFirst ... 38 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 58 ... LastLast
Results 1,176 to 1,200 of 1675
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sriracha View Post
    I don't think the difference in frame size is that significant to the weight. The rear triangle and links are still the same. We're talking about a couple of inches of thin wall tubing in the front triangle.

My medium frame weighs just barely under 7 lbs, with a Roco air shock.
    Longer stem, post, cables and hydro lines. It all adds up.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 SC Nickel LT
    Incoming: 2008 Lotus Exige S 240
    '12 Toy FJ TT
    '05 Cooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by t2091 View Post
    Just got her today! So stoked.
    Congrats! Looks great.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by blade72 View Post
    This is mine-just got it finished!

It is a XL frame,2x10 XO drivetrain and brakes,mavic crossmax st wheels with tubeless nobby nics,fox float rlc 140.
    Still my bike weights 12.7kg-27.9lbs.
    Not bad for me but i'm wondering how some guys have managed 26lbs as i read here with this frame and not lighter components than mine..
    Anyway,hope the weather improves here so i can ride it!
    Mine is at 27.8 with L frame and 2x10 X9, EA70 XCT wheels and Rocket Rons. We could all probably drop a little weight in our wheels/tires, but we'd be moving toward XC specific wheels away from more AM appropriate setups. Then there's the carbon bits if you wanted to lose a little more in the stem, bars, post areas. You can follow MC Shawn's lead with the Tioga saddle and save even more. I don't doubt 26 can be hit with these bikes, but honestly I don't feel the need. This bike rides and feels lighter than my scale reports. I'm loving it and bet you will too.

Congrats on the new bike. Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    So...the good old sizing question again!

I am 6 foot 1 1/2, on the borderline of L or XL for the nickel. Any sugestions? I am currently riding a Large Transition bandit for reference and am an old downhiller who now mostly rides trail.

Looking at geting a nickel while they are cheap and doing the long travel mod.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfboy View Post

I am 6 foot 1 1/2, on the borderline of L or XL for the nickel. Any sugestions? I am currently riding a Large Transition bandit for reference and am an old downhiller who now mostly rides trail.

I'm 6' 1" and ride the L, which fits me fine. I've been told by various shops that I could probably ride either, but I prefer a slightly smaller frame so long as I fit in the cockpit. Obviously, if you can ride one or both sizes (just parking lot rides at your LBS at least), that would be best.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfboy View Post

I'm 6.2" and chose the XL as competitive cyclist suggested.
    It fits me nice,didn't have the chance to test the L though.
    Generally i prefer not feeling cramped and I think XL with a 70mm stem works better for my type of riding (long climbs and general trail riding)

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tobiwan View Post
    Thatīs the same what I have done. I changed the rear drop out to the 10mm axle with the pretty expensive DT Swiss RWS spanner and that improved the stiffness of the rear a lot.
    By the way - really great looking Nickels here!
    These bikes are awesome. The Nickle is one of the best trail bikes I have ever ridden.

mtbr member
    As I get to know this bike better I am finding out some great things about it. It is very easy to steer this badboy from the rear wheel with a suttle shift of the hips the rear wheel will drift the corners, with confidence, allowing me to maintain more speed in the corners. I have not had a bike that can do this in a long time. This bike truly is awesome.

mtbr member
    Wolfboy, why the switch from the Bandit to the Nickel?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by justin83 View Post
    Wow, It does fit in there. How do like that shock?
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 SC Nickel LT
    '12 Toy FJ TT
    '05 Cooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn View Post
    Wow, It does fit in there. How do like that shock?
    It is amazing. Feels like I'm cheating. No kicking, no wallow, no fade... Even helped with some of the brake jack with the LSC settings. Obviously blows away the rp23, even when pushed. I had a Roco WC Air on it for 1 ride and that shock was a big improvement over the rp23 and then I put the DBA on and was blown away by how much better it was OVER the Roco. It's just an amazing amazing shock. Very little stiction and it seriously feels as smooth as a coil. If you have the means of getting one I would highly recommend it. Changes the whole feeling of the bike (in a good way).

I don't know if CC makes one to fit the Nickel, but they do have one to fit the Butcher.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    You should come here to the forum and talk about this kind of stuff...

Now I just want a DBA on my Butcher... damn it!!!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeboardorblade View Post
    Wolfboy, why the switch from the Bandit to the Nickel?
    Not really sure! Guess i am thinking for $600 bucks why not!? Pretty stoked on the bandit but always like trying other options.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by tonebiclas View Post
    You should come here to the forum and talk about this kind of stuff...

Now I just want a DBA on my Butcher... damn it!!!!
    There's a guy on pinkbike selling an 8.5x2.5 dbair for 425. Smokin deal over the 550-600 price tag.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    ^ Go with 130mm up front. It's the minimum it was designed for. Anything less will make the handling to fast for a beginner, and she doesn't need any more travel then that. Until she starts blowing you off into the weeds. I had to chose my words carefully there, almost made the mistake of using "into" instead of "in".
    Thank Shawn. I order the RS Revelation RLT and the travel spacers to lower it down to 130mm. It would be my dream to have her blow me "off into the weeds." I want to see her kick ass man!

Quote Originally Posted by Fparra View Post
    Hello!!! how tall is she???... because my wife has an specialized and she just need to change the frame, at 5'0" does the xs fits good????

Regarding your question.... my wife rides the SID at 100mm and it is all she needs... we are XC riders... no jumps or drops...
    My partner is almost 5' tall and I don't know how the xs will fit her because there wasn't one for her to demo. She did demoed an xs Yeti ASR5 with 680/710mm bar and 100mm stem, which her arms were completely straightened out. So I compared that with the xs Nickel to find that the Nickel top tube is more than 1" shorter than the Yeti. So I'll start her with 50mm stem, which should lessen her reach about 2" than the Yeti setup.

I thought about getting a Superlight or a Julianna for her, but there wasn't none available when I ordered.

Quote Originally Posted by DYI01 View Post
    I'd probably stick with a 120mm or 130mm fork. A 120 will steepen out the HTA (~68.4 deg) a bit helping the bike climb better, which is more beginner friendly IMO. 130 will but it at 68 deg even which is what the Nickel was designed for.

My Nickel with 140mm fork (~67.7 deg HTA) tends to wander a bit and will lift the front if I'm a little out of position on climbs. I'ts not nearly as forgiving or easy to climb when compared to my 100mm HT 29er with 70 deg HTA. I probably wouldn't recommend the 140mm fork for a beginner.

I've been looking at lighter and more minimalistic saddles recently. I've realized that in the past few rides that with a FS you don't really need a cushy saddle as much as when you are riding a HT.
    The travel spacer kit comes with enough spacer to lower it down to 120mm so I'll try that too see if she likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by ATXZJ View Post
    X2. The XS nickel is freaking small

B.O.T. I would look for a takeoff revelation and space it down to 130mm and then you have the option of going bigger for the fun stuff.

Lastly, IMHO the nickel is too heavy for XC.
    I was amazed how small it is when I held it. If she doesn't like it, maybe I can sell the frame and get her something else. But man, I wonder what the market is like for xs frames

mtbr member
    You got a spinner! Lol. XS should be perfect for her. You can adjust the fit with bars and stems. The RLT is a great fork. Mine is a Dual Air version. Don't be afraid to run the air pressures way lower then what RS recommends. I'm about 165 ready to ride and I'm only running 90psi.
    http://www.evanscycles.com/product_d...zing-chart.pdf
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 SC Nickel LT
    '12 Toy FJ TT
    '05 Cooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Ar
    You got a spinner! Lol. XS should be perfect for her. You can adjust the fit with bars and stems. The RLT is a great fork. Mine is a Dual Air version. Don't be afraid to run the air pressures way lower then what RS recommends. I'm about 165 ready to ride and I'm only running 90psi.
    http://www.evanscycles.com/product_d...zing-chart.pdf
    With the 153mm crankset, she'll spin for sure Bar is 710mm but I'll probably have to cut it down after she gets on the bike. The Revelation is dual air and thanks for the tip. I saw a thread about Revelation settings so that'll help too. I hope I can finish the bike in the next couple of days so she can start riding during her vacation.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sneakyt View Post
    Ar

With the 153mm crankset, she'll spin for sure Bar is 710mm but I'll probably have to cut it down after she gets on the bike. The Revelation is dual air and thanks for the tip. I saw a thread about Revelation settings so that'll help too. I hope I can finish the bike in the next couple of days so she can start riding during her vacation.
    Don't forget to posts pics......with her on it.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 SC Nickel LT
    '12 Toy FJ TT
    '05 Cooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Anyone using a 150mm fork on the Nickel?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gunt pimp View Post
    Anyone using a 150mm fork on the Nickel?
    Yes, But I'm also using a 57mm stroke shock on the back instead of the OEM 50mm. Both seem to work very well together.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 SC Nickel LT
    '12 Toy FJ TT
    '05 Cooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    nice

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by sneakyt View Post
    My partner is almost 5' tall and I don't know how the xs will fit her because there wasn't one for her to demo. She did demoed an xs Yeti ASR5 with 680/710mm bar and 100mm stem, which her arms were completely straightened out. So I compared that with the xs Nickel to find that the Nickel top tube is more than 1" shorter than the Yeti. So I'll start her with 50mm stem, which should lessen her reach about 2" than the Yeti setup.
    The XS will fit her perfectly. My son is 4'8" and doing fine on an XS with a 60mm stem and 685 riser bar. I will probably move him to a flat bar, but he is comfortable on it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your Butchers & Nickels!-p1000102.jpg  

Post your Butchers & Nickels!-p1000104.jpg  

Post your Butchers & Nickels!-p1000032.jpg  

Post your Butchers & Nickels!-p1000033.jpg  

Riding slowly since 1977.

mtbr member
    Nice bike! It looks like he is a velosexual.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 SC Nickel LT
    '12 Toy FJ TT
    '05 Cooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I'm jealous of the kid and I have my own!

Page 48 of 67 FirstFirst ... 38 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 58 ... LastLast