Page 47 of 67 FirstFirst ... 37 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 57 ... LastLast
Results 1,151 to 1,175 of 1674
    mtbr member
    ^ Go with 130mm up front. It's the minimum it was designed for. Anything less will make the handling to fast for a beginner, and she doesn't need any more travel then that. Until she starts blowing you off into the weeds. I had to chose my words carefully there, almost made the mistake of using "into" instead of "in".
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by sneakyt View Post
    What travel do you guys recommend for a beginning female mountain biker (140lbs geared up) with an xs Nickel? I'm trying to decide between the Revelation RLT (travel ranges 120-150mm) or the Sid (100-120mm). The Sid would save an additional 300g over the Revelation. I'm trying to make the bike as light as possible. However, I don't want to limit the travel. Most of her riding will mostly be smooth hardpack, some loose over hard, and gravels in Southern California. I guess my real question is does she needs the additional 20mm of travel? Thanks all.

Hello!!! how tall is she???... because my wife has an specialized and she just need to change the frame, at 5'0" does the xs fits good????

Regarding your question.... my wife rides the SID at 100mm and it is all she needs... we are XC riders... no jumps or drops...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fparra View Post
    Hello!!! how tall is she???... because my wife has an specialized and she just need to change the frame, at 5'0" does the xs fits good????

Regarding your question.... my wife rides the SID at 100mm and it is all she needs... we are XC riders... no jumps or drops...
    I don't think the fit is the problem. And your wife's Big S is probably designed for !00mm. The Nickel isn't, but it will be a very good bike for her needs.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I'd probably stick with a 120mm or 130mm fork. A 120 will steepen out the HTA (~68.4 deg) a bit helping the bike climb better, which is more beginner friendly IMO. 130 will but it at 68 deg even which is what the Nickel was designed for.

My Nickel with 140mm fork (~67.7 deg HTA) tends to wander a bit and will lift the front if I'm a little out of position on climbs. I'ts not nearly as forgiving or easy to climb when compared to my 100mm HT 29er with 70 deg HTA. I probably wouldn't recommend the 140mm fork for a beginner.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn View Post
    ^ Nice Nickel. But, we need to have a serious talk about the saddle!
    I've been looking at lighter and more minimalistic saddles recently. I've realized that in the past few rides that with a FS you don't really need a cushy saddle as much as when you are riding a HT.
    Last edited by DYI01; 12-18-2012 at 01:36 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DYI01 View Post
    I'd probably stick with a 120mm or 130mm fork. A 120 will steepen out the HTA (~68.4 deg) a bit helping the bike climb better, which is more beginner friendly IMO. 130 will but it at 68 deg even which is what the Nickel was designed for.

My Nickel with 140mm fork (~67.7 deg HTA) tends to wander a bit and will lift the front if I'm a little out of position on climbs. I'ts not nearly as forgiving or easy to climb when compared to my 100mm HT 29er with 70 deg HTA. I probably wouldn't recommend the 140mm fork for a beginner.

I've been looking at lighter and more minimalistic saddles recently. I've realized that in the past few rides that with a FS you don't really need a cushy saddle as much as when you are riding a HT.
    I'm running 150 mm up front to better match my 142mm in the rear. I haven't had any climbing problems with it in 22 x 34 gear in the steep stuff. I just stick the tip of my saddle againt my external sphincter and lean over the bars. In fact, I have a 20T ring on the way for the front, so I can climb steeper stuff.

Ok, I'm glad we got the saddle thing worked out!
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    againt my external sphincter
    Ah wut?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by liljoe76 View Post
    Ah wut?
    Lol, yep, that's where it is. Try it, it works. Just make sure you're wearing your padded shorts.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fparra View Post
    Hello!!! how tall is she???.....
    X2. The XS nickel is freaking small

B.O.T. I would look for a takeoff revelation and space it down to 130mm and then you have the option of going bigger for the fun stuff.

Lastly, IMHO the nickel is too heavy for XC.
    Last edited by ATXZJ; 12-18-2012 at 04:00 PM.
    SC:12' Butcher (sold)
    SC:12' Superlight 29er (sold)
    SC:12' Juliana (wife's)
    SC:12' TBLT

mtbr member
    ^ You can get them down in the 26 pound area. That's not to bad.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    ^ You can get them down in the 26 pound area. That's not to bad.
    Agree, but takes some higher end components to do so. I dig the nickel's GEO and think it would be a fun bike for the trails out here, and if I didn't already have a butcher would probably own one.

To me it seems like running a fork with less than 130mm on mild xc trails (no drops, rock gardens ETC) on a nickel is counterproductive.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ATXZJ View Post
    Agree, but takes some higher end components to do so. I dig the nickel's GEO and think it would be a fun bike for the trails out here, and if I didn't already have a butcher would probably own one.

To me it seems like running a fork with less than 130mm on mild xc trails (no drops, rock gardens ETC) on a nickel is counterproductive.
    Higher end, yes. But if you look for good deals on EBay or the online stores, you can actually build one pretty cheaply. It didn't cost me much to build mine.

Yep, anything less then 130mm isn't going to be productive, especially for a beginner.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ATXZJ View Post

you are completely right... being just obstinate...it was the only way to justify having a Nickel in the bike garage... her best option is a Juliana or a SL xsmall

mtbr member
    Higher end, yes. But if you look for good deals on EBay or the online stores, you can actually build one pretty cheaply. It didn't cost me much to build mine.

Yep, anything less then 130mm isn't going to be productive, especially for a beginner.
    All about good deals on MTB parts

A few rides over the past couple of weeks has me thinking about the nickel a little. My 29er just kills on fast flowing XC trails while the 150mm butcher is a beast bouncing off babyheads on white knuckle downhill and AM runs. Problem is when I have to take a 30+ LB butcher uphill or when the 29er gets into tight techy stuff. For a fun comparison, I took my wifes juliana out to the same trails (don't laugh) and it was a blast to ride. The bike was light and nimble enough to go uphill and hit the sweeps with ease while able to dodge the bigger rocks on the trail that 100mm couldn't handle. I can see why the nickel could have worked as a do-it-all bike, but it definitely needed to be lightened up considering what SC was asking for a 125mm AL bike at the time.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Hi folks- been lurking here for a bit but finally registered to ask some advice on sizing. Getting ready to pull the trigger on a Nickel- prices are too good to ignore.

I have been reading this thread with interest- lots of great info.

My question is on sizing. Someone mentioned the sizing of a nickel large being similar to a yeti medium. I am 5'8", slightly longer torso and arms (but not an ape by any means). I've ridden mediums in every bike I've owned, and am having a hard time thinking I need a large in the SC.

My local shop doesn't have any nickels left to try a ride.

Just like to avoid ending up with a longish stem to avoid a cramped feeling. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I'm running 150 mm up front to better match my 142mm in the rear. I haven't had any climbing problems with it in 22 x 34 gear in the steep stuff. I just stick the tip of my saddle againt my external sphincter and lean over the bars. In fact, I have a 20T ring on the way for the front, so I can climb steeper stuff.

Ok, I'm glad we got the saddle thing worked out!
    The Nickel isn't by any means a bad climber, I think the small niggles I have with my particular bike climbing are attributed to the Nevegals and the boat anchor I am dragging up the hill. The seat in the sphincter sounds like a terrible idea lol.

Quote Originally Posted by ramdonkey View Post
    My question is on sizing. Someone mentioned the sizing of a nickel large being similar to a yeti medium. I am 5'8", slightly longer torso and arms (but not an ape by any means). I've ridden mediums in every bike I've owned, and am having a hard time thinking I need a large in the SC.
    I'm 5'10" with a 30" inseam. so I have short legs with a longer torso and I ride a medium Nickel. It feels spot in with a 70mm stem.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ramdonkey View Post
    Hi folks- been lurking here for a bit but finally registered to ask some advice on sizing. Getting ready to pull the trigger on a Nickel- prices are too good to ignore.

I have been reading this thread with interest- lots of great info.

My local shop doesn't have any nickels left to try a ride.

Just like to avoid ending up with a longish stem to avoid a cramped feeling. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all.
    Definitely a medium. I'm 5'9", I ride a medium, with a 70mm stem and 720mm bar, and its perfect for me. And, I tend to like long top tubes.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Just got her today! So stoked.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Dyi01 and MCShawn- thanks for the quick replies. That helps my decision a lot.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by t2091 View Post
    Just got her today! So stoked.

Nice ! Happy holidays came early!

Go ride and let us know what you think!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    This is mine-just got it finished!

It is a XL frame,2x10 XO drivetrain and brakes,mavic crossmax st wheels with tubeless nobby nics,fox float rlc 140.
    Still my bike weights 12.7kg-27.9lbs.
    Not bad for me but i'm wondering how some guys have managed 26lbs as i read here with this frame and not lighter components than mine..
    Anyway,hope the weather improves here so i can ride it!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your Butchers & Nickels!-phpd3loispm.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I upgraded to a Avenir 200 Series mountain saddle and lost 5oz. of weight off the bike.

Finally under the 31lb mark at 30lb 15oz getting this scale has turned me down the slightly scary path of a weight weenie Short of making drastic part changes the only other place I can see losing much weight is in the tires.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by blade72 View Post
    This is mine-just got it finished!

It is a XL frame,2x10 XO drivetrain and brakes,mavic crossmax st wheels with tubeless nobby nics,fox float rlc 140.
    Still my bike weights 12.7kg-27.9lbs.
    Not bad for me but i'm wondering how some guys have managed 26lbs as i read here with this frame and not lighter components than mine..
    Anyway,hope the weather improves here so i can ride it!
    An XL frame is going to add a good chunk of weight compared to, lets say a medium, like mine. I'd be willing to bet it's in the range of a whole pound.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    An XL frame is going to add a good chunk of weight compared to, lets say a medium, like mine. I'd be willing to bet it's in the range of a whole pound.
    Maybe you're right-my frame weighs 3.2kg-7lbs
    I'm not a weight weenie but just for the conversation i don't think i can get it lighter than it is and still be reliable for am use.
    Anyway i like it alot-hope it rides as good as it seems!

rollin
    I'm not a weight weenie but just for the conversation i don't think i can get it lighter than it is and still be reliable for am use.
    I don't think the difference in frame size is that significant to the weight. The rear triangle and links are still the same. We're talking about a couple of inches of thin wall tubing in the front triangle.

My medium frame weighs just barely under 7 lbs, with a Roco air shock.

mtbr member
    I think you'll like it. But, remember the nickel is on the light side of AM.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

Page 47 of 67 FirstFirst ... 37 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 57 ... LastLast