Page 46 of 67 FirstFirst ... 36 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 56 ... LastLast
Results 1,126 to 1,150 of 1675
    mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Why are the Nickel and Butcher not listed on the SC website??????

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by .Shawn. View Post
    Which means, you haven't read the thread. They are not listed because they don't make them anymore. Grab one while you can. They are already a classic
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT
    CAT D9

mtbr member
    You can still read about the Butcher and Nickel on the SC website. The links have been gone for some time, though all the info regarding tech specs and geometry is still there.

Right now, there is an ad for holiday shopping blocking the page.

The White Jeff W
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn View Post
    Which means, you haven't read the thread. They are not listed because they don't make them anymore. Grab one while you can. They are already a classic
    Yeah go back and read all 1100 posts
    No moss...

mtbr member
    You can still read about the Butcher and Nickel on the SC website. The links have been gone for some time, though all the info regarding tech specs and geometry is still there.

Right now, there is an ad for holiday shopping blocking the page.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    So they only made it for 2 years and pulled it? I wanted to pick one up for my wife but if they aren't even standing behind the designs for 2 years it leads me to believe I could be wasting my money on a bike Santa Cruz ditched which confuses me because all the reviews are so good. What's the deal with pulling them from the line?

And thanks for the responses guys. I have been through almost every page looking at your builds but I'm not reading EVERY post....

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    So, just got off the phone with Santa Cruz...asked a few questions, here were the answers:

Q. What's the REAL reason for discontinuing the Nickel and Butcher?

A. They simply were not selling....Seems they sold more low cost build Blurs than high cost build Nickels and Butchers....and that they have lowered the prices a bit of the vpp bikes to further push those models. He added that they were huge fans of the Nickels geometry and shock stroke/rate moreso than the Butcher.

Q. Why do some Nickels have straight down tubes and some curved?

A. The older style,( the 1.0 he referred to it as) with the curved downtube and welded on gussett was considerably more money for Santa Cruz to produce instead of drilling the downtube and welding in a mount. He added that the newer style is a tid bit lighter but gives up a bottle mount. He said the geometry is exactly the same as far as the ride is concerned. He added that there actually are some fans of the block letter design on the new ones. He admittedly added that he liked the traditional italicized letter style better.

Q. Why no 142 rear on these frames but does have tapered head tube?

A. He stated frame was super stiff back there with no links close to the dropouts and the traditional ones open you up to more hubs available at the time of production. He said the DT Swiss 10mm fits fine and works similar to the 12mm Maxle.

Q. Why do some frames come with bottle opener derailleur hangers and some dont?

A. He said there was no good reason for this and that the vendor/bike shop usually has both on hand and to request which one you like. Most do not have the bottle opener according to his words.

Super nice people and great Customer Service.....they are sending me a bottle opener hanger free of charge as well as some stickers,etc.....This is my 4th new Santa Cruz so I guess I'm deserving!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by poe400 View Post
    So, just got off the phone with Santa Cruz...asked a few questions, here were the answers:

Q. What's the REAL reason for discontinuing the Nickel and Butcher?

A. They simply were not selling....Seems they sold more low cost build Blurs than high cost build Nickels and Butchers....and that they have lowered the prices a bit of the vpp bikes to further push those models. He added that they were huge fans of the Nickels geometry and shock stroke/rate moreso than the Butcher.

Q. Why do some Nickels have straight down tubes and some curved?

A. The older style,( the 1.0 he referred to it as) with the curved downtube and welded on gussett was considerably more money for Santa Cruz to produce instead of drilling the downtube and welding in a mount. He added that the newer style is a tid bit lighter but gives up a bottle mount. He said the geometry is exactly the same as far as the ride is concerned. He added that there actually are some fans of the block letter design on the new ones. He admittedly added that he liked the traditional italicized letter style better.

Q. Why no 142 rear on these frames but does have tapered head tube?

A. He stated frame was super stiff back there with no links close to the dropouts and the traditional ones open you up to more hubs available at the time of production. He said the DT Swiss 10mm fits fine and works similar to the 12mm Maxle.

Q. Why do some frames come with bottle opener derailleur hangers and some dont?

A. He said there was no good reason for this and that the vendor/bike shop usually has both on hand and to request which one you like. Most do not have the bottle opener according to his words.

Super nice people and great Customer Service.....they are sending me a bottle opener hanger free of charge as well as some stickers,etc.....This is my 4th new Santa Cruz so I guess I'm deserving!
    That is awesome! Nice work!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBforlife View Post
    The disk brake rub was caused by flexing in the rear drop outs. So I converted the hub to bolt on and that stiffened up the frames drop outs dramatically.
    Thatīs the same what I have done. I changed the rear drop out to the 10mm axle with the pretty expensive DT Swiss RWS spanner and that improved the stiffness of the rear a lot.
    By the way - really great looking Nickels here!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by tobiwan View Post
    Thatīs the same what I have done. I changed the rear drop out to the 10mm axle with the pretty expensive DT Swiss RWS spanner and that improved the stiffness of the rear a lot.
    I've gotten rid of QR's and switched over to the DT Swiss 10mm RWS bolts in both of my bikes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffw-13 View Post
    Yeah go back and read all 1100 posts
    Wouldn't want anyone to spend a couple hours reading and learning about something they are interested in!
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT
    CAT D9

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Is it known fact that the rear flex on Nickels? Was just thinking I'd put a Haven wheelset on mine and take the DT Swiss off but would I be best sticking with the DT RWS vs the regular QR on the Havens?

mtbr member
    It shouldnt be a problem, unless something else is wrong.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT
    CAT D9

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Nickel getting dusty and dirty Wales, England Thailand & Nepal
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your Butchers & Nickels!-wales.jpg  

Post your Butchers & Nickels!-peaks-nov10_039.jpg  

Post your Butchers & Nickels!-thai.jpg  

Post your Butchers & Nickels!-nepal-218.jpg  

mtbr member
    Righ on! You sure get around!
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT
    CAT D9

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tobiwan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DYI01 View Post
    I've gotten rid of QR's and switched over to the DT Swiss 10mm RWS bolts in both of my bikes.
    Will they fit in any wheel that uses a quick release?
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT
    CAT D9

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn View Post
    Will they fit in any wheel that uses a quick release?
    The standard 5mm DT Swiss RWS skewer will fit in any QR hub. The advantage is that you can make it tighter than a normal QR. The 10mm DT Swiss RWS through axle will only fit in a hub that accepts a 10mm through axle.

DT Swiss RWS 5x100 and 5x135 skewers

DT Swiss RWS 9x100 and 10x135 through axles.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

New Nickel in the Family

Very happy to join you guys with my newly built Nickel. Just got it from Competitive Cyclist yesterday and built it up. They still have a GREAT deal on a full X9 build for $1999 shipped for all you NOT on the Nickel bandwagon yet. Here are the dirty bits:

Frame: 2012 Santa Cruz Nickel (L)
    (Incidentally, I also got the 1.0 curved downtube version, but I love the look and my total weight came out just fine)
    Fork: 2013 Fox Float 140 FIT CTD 15mm tapered w/ Kashima
    Shock: Fox Float RL
    Drivetrain: X9
    Brakes: X9
    Wheels: EA70 XCT
    Tires: Rocket Rons
    Bars: EA70 Wide (685mm)
    Stem: EA90 90mm
    Grips: ODI Ruffian
    Pedals: Candy 3 (or Deity Compound flats)
    Weight: 27.8lbs w/ Candy 3's

rollin
    Quote Originally Posted by davemayo2000 View Post
    Frame: 2012 Santa Cruz Nickel (L)
    (Incidentally, I also got the 1.0 curved downtube version, but I love the look and my total weight came out just fine)
    Weight: 27.8lbs w/ Candy 3's
    Nice looking bike! I can't believe how light your Nickel is. That's crazy light! Mine is 33.3 lbs...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sriracha View Post
    Nice looking bike! I can't believe how light your Nickel is. That's crazy light! Mine is 33.3 lbs...
    Mmmmooooooo!
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT
    CAT D9

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by sriracha View Post
    It actually surprised me too. That's about a pound lighter than I expected. The XCT wheels aren't the lightest at about 1650g, but they still help, and the Float 140 fork is only 3.88lbs with the thru axle, which seems crazy light to me. So, with frame, fork and wheels, I'm up to about 15lbs leaving a little under 13lbs for everything else. I've seen people running X0 and XX setups getting pretty close to 26, so I think we can get them pretty low.

No matter how it's built up, I love that all the weight is in that beautiful, burly frame. The thing looks like it will take some serious abuse.

Now, I want to look into a 57mm shock stroke mod like some of you have done. That sounds great! Did anyone ever get a "yes" back from PUSH on extending the Float RL to 57mm while doing a retune?

mtbr member
    They never got back to me about SC letting them do the 57mm upgrade. I can tell you it is involved enough that you're just as well off to buy a new shock and keep the RL as a spare. It's not an easy conversion.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT
    CAT D9

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I installed a Gravity Dropper classic onto my Nickel and it gained exactly 1 pound over the cheap RaceFace ride seatpost. So as it sits now, 31lb 4oz. i think I could drop some additional weight off of the seat and tires, but for now it's not bad at all.

mtbr member
    ^ Nice Nickel. But, we need to have a serious talk about the saddle!
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT
    CAT D9

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    What travel do you guys recommend for a beginning female mountain biker (140lbs geared up) with an xs Nickel? I'm trying to decide between the Revelation RLT (travel ranges 120-150mm) or the Sid (100-120mm). The Sid would save an additional 300g over the Revelation. I'm trying to make the bike as light as possible. However, I don't want to limit the travel. Most of her riding will mostly be smooth hardpack, some loose over hard, and gravels in Southern California. I guess my real question is does she needs the additional 20mm of travel? Thanks all.

Page 46 of 67 FirstFirst ... 36 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 56 ... LastLast