Page 40 of 67 FirstFirst ... 30 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 50 ... LastLast
Results 976 to 1,000 of 1675
  1. #976
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    25
    Here is my Butcher, picked this up used a few months back. Changed out a few things, but overall very impressed and happy with the bike.

    -Revelations World Cup Fork 150mm
    -Fox RP23
    -Chromag Ranger 50mm Stem
    -Chromag Acute Bars
    -Stans Flows
    -Hope Evo2 Hubs
    -Reverb Dropper Post
    -E*Thirteen Bashguard/ Dual Chain guide

    Just added Shimano M785 brakes w Ice-tech Rotors.












  2. #977
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    289
    Quote Originally Posted by JSko View Post
    Here is my Butcher, picked this up used a few months back. Changed out a few things, but overall very impressed and happy with the bike.

    -Revelations World Cup Fork 150mm
    -Fox RP23
    -Chromag Ranger 50mm Stem
    -Chromag Acute Bars
    -Stans Flows
    -Hope Evo2 Hubs
    -Reverb Dropper Post
    -E*Thirteen Bashguard/ Dual Chain guide

    Just added Shimano M785 brakes w Ice-tech Rotors.
    I really like that color. It's "unapologetically" blue.

    White pedals are a nice touch too, have you considered white cables, handlebar, etc.? Would be a little bit like clouds in the sky lol.

  3. #978
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost_03 View Post
    I really like that color. It's "unapologetically" blue.

    White pedals are a nice touch too, have you considered white cables, handlebar, etc.? Would be a little bit like clouds in the sky lol.
    I thought about it, but ended up just staying with Black/Blue.

  4. #979
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    197
    Quote Originally Posted by JSko View Post
    I thought about it, but ended up just staying with Black/Blue.
    What size bike is that mate?

  5. #980
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by cmscheip View Post
    What size bike is that mate?
    Large Frame.

  6. #981
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by JSko View Post
    Large Frame.
    Where did you get that beauty?

  7. #982
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by mudchuck View Post
    Where did you get that beauty?
    Found it on craigslist made an offer, and drove down to Maryland on the weekend to pick it up.

  8. #983
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    42
    Really nice built!

  9. #984
    habitual line-stepper
    Reputation: kanai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    443
    Finally took some time to install my BBG bashguard and Blackspire ISCG05 Stinger. All that's left is to shorten the chain and take her for a spin.

    Quote Originally Posted by vBulletin
    The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later.

  10. #985
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    325
    What chain tensioner choices di I have for my Nickel?

  11. #986
    Nickel Havr
    Reputation: Eckstream1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,186
    Quote Originally Posted by DAnREal View Post
    What chain tensioner choices di I have for my Nickel?
    Any that offer a BB mount...
    I really like my Blackspire Stinger.
    It's cheap and it works!
    Quote Originally Posted by William Blake
    Great things are done when men and mountains meet. This is not done by jostling in the street .

  12. #987
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    289
    Quote Originally Posted by DAnREal View Post
    What chain tensioner choices di I have for my Nickel?
    Do you mean chain tensioner to avoid dropped chains, or chain tensioner to go singlespeed?

    If it's the former, according to Santa Cruz' Nickel FAQ,

    Quote Originally Posted by Santa Cruz
    Can I put a chainguide on my Nickel?
    Definitely. Pretty much any BB mount guide or ISCG guide with adaptor will work great- there is great chainguide clearance on the APP bikes.
    If you mean the singlespeed kind, I'm not sure, but I would think it'd have to be the kind that mounts where the RD would normally go, as the chainstays aren't located in the "normal" place. Moreover, you need one that can handle the FS, a quick search yields this as an option.

  13. #988
    habitual line-stepper
    Reputation: kanai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    443
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckstream1 View Post
    Any that offer a BB mount...
    I really like my Blackspire Stinger.
    It's cheap and it works!
    Second that. I've had a BB mount Stinger on my Blue Pig for a couple years now with no problems. Cheap and reliable, can't go wrong. Good luck

    Forgot to ask if there's a drive-side spacer with your RF cranks? If so, the BB mount will take the place of that spacer. I know some Truvativ cranks will not work with BB Stingers & 73mm BB shells.
    Quote Originally Posted by vBulletin
    The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later.

  14. #989
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    325
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost_03 View Post
    Do you mean chain tensioner to avoid dropped chains, or chain tensioner to go singlespeed?

    If it's the former, according to Santa Cruz' Nickel FAQ,
    To avoid chain drop..... here's what's happening.... please let me know if its a something else.... but when peddaling in rough Terrain gears pop like if I don't have my gears tuned.... would a tensioner work?


    Quote Originally Posted by kanai View Post
    Second that. I've had a BB mount Stinger on my Blue Pig for a couple years now with no problems. Cheap and reliable, can't go wrong. Good luck

    Forgot to ask if there's a drive-side spacer with your RF cranks? If so, the BB mount will take the place of that spacer. I know some Truvativ cranks will not work with BB Stingers & 73mm BB shells.
    1 spacer on the drive side only.... will the stinger work with a 2x9 or would I have to go down to a 1x9 setup

    Quote Originally Posted by Eckstream1 View Post
    Any that offer a BB mount...
    I really like my Blackspire Stinger.
    It's cheap and it works!
    Ill check it out

  15. #990
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    289
    Quote Originally Posted by DAnREal View Post
    To avoid chain drop..... here's what's happening.... please let me know if its a something else.... but when peddaling in rough Terrain gears pop like if I don't have my gears tuned.... would a tensioner work?
    It would probably help, but you might not need one if there's another underlying issue. The main purpose of those is to keep the chain from falling off the chainrings (and secondary to stop chain slap) in rough terrain.

    The swingarm on the rear derailleur itself is a tensioner, but if the derailleur isn't positioned right (there is a positioning screw that touches the derailleur hanger), or if the chain is too long, then it might not be keeping enough tension. Rough terrain could exacerbate this as suspension movement will change the distance from the BB to the rear axle.

    Other things you might want to rule out before spending cash on a bashgaurd are simply RD position as it can be exceedingly picky on 9/10 speeds (though it sounds like you've looked at this), and chain condition--if you have a link or two with more resistance than the others (e.g., common on a patched shimano chain), it may actually cause the swingarm to "twitch" and pop the gears.

    Lastly, if you do decide to go with a device like this, it will either take the place of the spacer if it's the same width [likely], or you can get an adapter that sits there and provides ISCG or ISCG'05 tabs so you can mount any ISCG device that fits.

    Hope this helps.

  16. #991
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    325
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost_03 View Post
    It would probably help, but you might not need one if there's another underlying issue. The main purpose of those is to keep the chain from falling off the chainrings (and secondary to stop chain slap) in rough terrain.

    The swingarm on the rear derailleur itself is a tensioner, but if the derailleur isn't positioned right (there is a positioning screw that touches the derailleur hanger), or if the chain is too long, then it might not be keeping enough tension. Rough terrain could exacerbate this as suspension movement will change the distance from the BB to the rear axle.

    Other things you might want to rule out before spending cash on a bashgaurd are simply RD position as it can be exceedingly picky on 9/10 speeds (though it sounds like you've looked at this), and chain condition--if you have a link or two with more resistance than the others (e.g., common on a patched shimano chain), it may actually cause the swingarm to "twitch" and pop the gears.

    Lastly, if you do decide to go with a device like this, it will either take the place of the spacer if it's the same width [likely], or you can get an adapter that sits there and provides ISCG or ISCG'05 tabs so you can mount any ISCG device that fits.

    Hope this helps.
    Ill check the chain lenght again... its a brand new chain so I don't think a link can be seized already, the RD's position is good AFAIK its my first build and it was basically a parts swap from my Giant Trance X2.... it may not be in proper alignment.

  17. #992
    habitual line-stepper
    Reputation: kanai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    443
    Quote Originally Posted by DAnREal View Post
    1 spacer on the drive side only.... will the stinger work with a 2x9 or would I have to go down to a 1x9 setup
    Yes, it will work with 2x9, my Butcher is set up 2X10. Occasionally I run a granny on the Blue Pig (long fire road climbs), and that works fine as well. When riding in the middle ring, the chain rests in the groove of the roller, when in the granny it rests on the inner shoulder.

    From past research, Pricepoint has been the cheapest: Blackspire Stinger Chain Guide at Price Point

    I'm sure there are others out there, but I only have experience with Blackspire. So far that has been all positive. Hope that helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by vBulletin
    The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later.

  18. #993
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    325
    Quote Originally Posted by kanai View Post
    Yes, it will work with 2x9, my Butcher is set up 2X10. Occasionally I run a granny on the Blue Pig (long fire road climbs), and that works fine as well. When riding in the middle ring, the chain rests in the groove of the roller, when in the granny it rests on the inner shoulder.

    From past research, Pricepoint has been the cheapest: Blackspire Stinger Chain Guide at Price Point

    I'm sure there are others out there, but I only have experience with Blackspire. So far that has been all positive. Hope that helps.
    This might be something I want

  19. #994
    Swedetarded
    Reputation: mrbigisbudgood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    526
    Quote Originally Posted by DAnREal View Post
    What chain tensioner choices di I have for my Nickel?
    I run an e*thirteen DRS when I go to the chairlifts or skatepark or whatever calls for it. I think it is now called the TRS+ Dual.

    I've never dropped a chain with it installed. I have had some binding issues when shifting both ways with it installed. It might have something to do with my AM 22-36 2X10 setup. It might have something to do with the TruVativ chainrings not being as profiled as Shimano chainrings. I need to do some testing to find the problem.

    I do drop my chain without it if I take a rough high speed DH on the 22T (too lazy to shift).

  20. #995
    rollin
    Reputation: sriracha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    2,554
    wrong location...
    Last edited by sriracha; 10-08-2012 at 08:40 AM.

  21. #996
    rollin
    Reputation: sriracha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    2,554
    A lot of nice looking bikes on this thread.

    Have many people been converting the Nickel to 140mm travel?

    I just pulled trigger on a Nickel frame, and I am wondering about the possibility of removing the travel limiting spacer on the Fox Float RL, to make it a 200x57.

    Has anybody done this?

    I searched for a tech tutorial on this, with no results.

  22. #997
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mosquito1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    136

    ... and if we just ...

    My Nickel has a Fox Float Fit 140 and the RP23. It seems to be a great balance IMO. Go for it! Love the bike - feels super light, fast, flickable - great fun to ride everywhere I go!


    *Edit*

    Doh! Misunderstood! Sry. Enjoy your Nickel regardless!
    Last edited by Mosquito1; 10-09-2012 at 07:08 AM.

  23. #998
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mountain Cycle Shawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,951
    Quote Originally Posted by sriracha View Post
    A lot of nice looking bikes on this thread.

    Have many people been converting the Nickel to 140mm travel?

    I just pulled trigger on a Nickel frame, and I am wondering about the possibility of removing the travel limiting spacer on the Fox Float RL, to make it a 200x57.

    Has anybody done this?

    I searched for a tech tutorial on this, with no results.
    Some one here tried it and said they liked it. I think it's a bad idea. If it were a simple single pivot, like a Heckler, I would say putting a longer stroke shock on isn't a bad idea, if longer travel is what you are looking for. But not with the APP links. They were designed specifically for a certain amount of shock stroke. 57mm of shock stroke should give you 142.5mm of travel. I think that with a 57mm shock stroke, the initial travel is going to be such a falling rate that you are going to have to run a lot of pressure to stay around the recommended sag. Which will give a harsh mid stroke and to much bottom out resistance.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 SC Nickel LT
    Incoming: 2008 Lotus Exige S 240
    '12 Toy FJ TT
    '05 Cooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

  24. #999
    rollin
    Reputation: sriracha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    2,554
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn View Post
    Some one here tried it and said they liked it. I think it's a bad idea. If it were a simple single pivot, like a Heckler, I would say putting a longer stroke shock on isn't a bad idea, if longer travel is what you are looking for. But not with the APP links. They were designed specifically for a certain amount of shock stroke. 57mm of shock stroke should give you 142.5mm of travel. I think that with a 57mm shock stroke, the initial travel is going to be such a falling rate that you are going to have to run a lot of pressure to stay around the recommended sag. Which will give a harsh mid stroke and to much bottom out resistance.


    The rear shock is seeing the movement of a single pivot, though.

    I was thinking that things would feel the same, but you'd have a bit more travel at the end, ramping up more at the end.

    There would be a change in the air volume in the shock causing a more linear feel and more movement at the end of the stroke, which should be an increased rising rate at the end.

    If you ran the same amount of pressure as before, you would have a more linear rate with more travel, ramping up at the end?

  25. #1000
    mtbr member
    Reputation: microbike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    38
    I wonder 34 talas 160mm will do alot of harm to the Nickel
    2010 Giant Reign0

Page 40 of 67 FirstFirst ... 30 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 50 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •