Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Post your Butchers & Nickels!

345K views 2K replies 249 participants last post by  Shawn in da Canyon 
#1 ·
Let's see these sexy beasts!

I'll Start:

Butcher R AM w/ Fox Float 32 in the front

And here's the mutilator with Mt Tamalpais in the background- sun glare kinda missed up the pic :(

See less See more
#77 ·
Hit us back with a ride report. My Butcher has been out of commission for the last couple of weeks. I cracked the derailleur cage on my Butcher's rear derailleur a couple of weeks ago at Northstar. Waiting for the new derailleur to come into the LBS as we speak- hoping to take down Hitler and his Slushee cousin at China Camp Friday afternoon. :D

#81 ·
No room for a 24oz bottle on my medium Nickel in the triangle, but you can get one on the underside of the down tube. The shock gets in the way in the triangle.

I've only had mine a few weeks now, but I love the way the Nickel rides. It climbs really well, and has great handling characteristics. The suspension feels like more than 125mm. I've been surprised by a couple of 3 foot drop offs on the trail and took off awkwardly, but the angles and suspension made the landings easier than they should have been. I think the only thing missing is a dropper post on mine. In 20 years of mountain biking it is the best riding bike I have ever owned, even compared against bikes that cost far more. It's a great, fun technical trail riding machine, but I would even race it in XC, DS, or marathon (Don't race now, but was a Cat 1/NORBA Expert). If you like to ride trails aggressively, and still climb well I would highly recommend the Nickel.

#90 · (Edited)
Damienp said:
So is this the only pic we get??

This is the only complete Nickel in here. Stop teasing and show us the rest!!!! :)
Here is the rest:devil:

A very versatile trailbike, pedals well & and descends great:)

I've made a short video (watch in HD) of my first ride with the Nickel.
I hope you will enjoy it.

[URL=http://vimeo.com/15105087]Santa Cruz Nickel first ride from miraculix on Vimeo.

[/URL]

#93 ·
Overall weight is 11,9 kg as equipped in the picture.

Nearly all parts are from my former Epic S-Works, which I sold for this more versatile bike.
I just added a Float 140mm and XTR 10-speed shifters/cassette/derailleur.

I won`t care about the frame weight, as written before the Nickel pedals very well:rockon:

#94 ·
Tax refund check already spent!

Yeah the black powdercoat with white decals looks great, no doubt about that. Now I want to get a coil spring rear shock, and fork too. My bike is "never finished", always have to upgrade to better parts, and quick! There goes my tax refund check, ha ha!:madman:

#96 ·
The eagle has landed!

Finally ....

Parts:
Nickel large seabright blue
RS Pike 454 coil
Some Nukeproof stuff ...
e.thirteen bashguard and guide
SLX/XT components
Sixpack Fire-R reducer headset
Hope bottom bracket
Elixir CR brakes
Kenda Nevegal

Total weight ~ 14 Kg

There´s still some cable salad :madman:

Been out on the BMCC-pumptrack today and i think i gonna love it. Tomorrow thirst run on my hometrails ...

Greetings

#98 ·
3 months of riding on my Butcher and it's time to start upgrading this bad boy into the burly AM/Light FR beast it's capable of.

I've found a couple of deals on the interwebz and I think I'm going to pick up a Fox RC4 and a pair of Formula Mega brakes.

#100 ·
I'm actually quite happy with my 32 Talas up front right now. But, I think I'm going to switch over to the 36 Talas 160s after I've got some money saved- I really like the option of adjustable travel since a lot of the AM riding I'm doing consists of very steep fire roads. If RockShox offered their Lyrik U-turn in 170mm, I might actually consider that.

#101 ·
I been riding a 36van and its such a good ride I will have a hard time going back to air. I do like the Talas 36 because of what you mentioned of lowering it for climbing. I run a dhx5 with ti coil and love that I kinda of suck at setting it up and it feels great so it has to be a good shock! haha

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.