Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,300 of 1722
    mtbr member
    Lucky kid! Can't wait till my daughter is riding the trails with me!

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn View Post
    Nice bike! It looks like he is a velosexual.
    Quote Originally Posted by DAnREal View Post
    I'm jealous of the kid and I have my own!
    He loves riding. He went once with my wife (his stepmother) today and again with me. I figured the bike would last him at least 4 years and then a simple frame swap would get a few more, so amortized out it about $500 per year. It also didn't hurt that my sister kicked in $500 and my mom $200. We had a good shakedown ride today.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your Butchers & Nickels!-p1020877.jpg  

Post your Butchers & Nickels!-p1020879-2-.jpg  

Post your Butchers & Nickels!-p1020884-2-.jpg  

Riding slowly since 1977.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Lets talk Forks...

I'm in the market for a new fork, I can't stand my current float 120mm for a few reasons... 1: it's very twitchy due to the 9mm qr axel and 2: for it being a 120mm fork imnpretty bothered that I only get 3.75 in of ravel out of it. I know this is a common problem with fox forks but I'm in no way about to open the internals and start hacking away.... A service and sell is in its future.... So my research has turned me onto a few forks first being Rock shox World Cup revolution 150mm with a 15mm TA, I'll probably lower this fork to 130mm or so, second option is the Marzocchi 44 RC3 Ti, I know quite a few people run this fork on their nickel now and love it and by the reviews this fork seems to be best bang for buck. I'm really wanting a responsive tunable fork for AM riding, weight isn't am issue but money is I don't want to spend more then a grand(1000 US dollars) on the fork... I know I have a plethora of option in the table in this price range......thoughts?

mtbr noob
    "Jefe, would you say I have a plethora of pinatas ???".....

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
    roxo56
    Surly Troll
    SC Butcher

mtbr member
    I'm in the market for a new fork, I can't stand my current float 120mm for a few reasons... 1: it's very twitchy due to the 9mm qr axel and 2: for it being a 120mm fork imnpretty bothered that I only get 3.75 in of ravel out of it. I know this is a common problem with fox forks but I'm in no way about to open the internals and start hacking away.... A service and sell is in its future.... So my research has turned me onto a few forks first being Rock shox World Cup revolution 150mm with a 15mm TA, I'll probably lower this fork to 130mm or so, second option is the Marzocchi 44 RC3 Ti, I know quite a few people run this fork on their nickel now and love it and by the reviews this fork seems to be best bang for buck. I'm really wanting a responsive tunable fork for AM riding, weight isn't am issue but money is I don't want to spend more then a grand(1000 US dollars) on the fork... I know I have a plethora of option in the table in this price range......thoughts?
    X fusion velvet. Great fork regardless of its price wich happens to around 400.00 on the bay.

mtbr member
    I originally posted this on a 650 thread and thought I would drop it in here for those interested. I paid $675 from a medium with the RL shock and it sat around while I collected parts to set up as a 650B. The inventory is as follows:

Fox 32 RL fork (non compression - mistake)
    XT cranks and shifters
    Formula RX brakes -I love them
    Crank Bros carbon bar - best bend and rise
    Thomson masterpiece seatpost with Ti hardware
    Thomson 70mm stem with Ti
    My old WTB seat - not light but I don't care, itís comfy
    Tioga flat pedals - I'm old and clip ins are no good for my knees, got to move around
    XTR lock-on hubs - I wanted silver hubs but only Hope has them and I have no experience with them. Also, they are 6 bolt and I like the lock-ons.
    Stans Crest hoops
    NeoMoto tubeless - my first experience with tubeless
    XT RD, XT 12-34 with 24/34 chainrings. Set up as a 9 speed.
    Sram XO FD 2 x 10 - seems to work OK but I have an XTR back up

I was surprised to weigh the frame with the RL and see it registered a massive 7.5 lbs. on my scale. However, the complete build out weighs 27.5 lbs which works fine for me.
    I have silver spokes, the grey/silver fork and other silver pieces on the bike because I am done with the black thing. Itís become real old and mud loves mat black. My former bike was a 26 Intense Spyder which weighed exactly a pound less with similar components. The BB height from the center of the BB to the floor is 13-7/8". That might seem high but I live just North of Boston, MA and riding over rocks, logs and roots is a way of life. With the extra height I have new found confidence and attack sections that used to intimidate me. I only have about 150 miles on it but so far I am very happy. In fact, I am shocked how successful this experiment is. Even with just a 34 on the back it seems to roll up hills. I donít think I will need a 36. The bike is very agile in the tight stuff and goes down-hill with confidence. Itís as if the SC designed this to be a 650. I suppose in the perfect world the chainstay could be 1/8 longer the BB could be 3/16 less but I would never notice it. Itís a fun bike and my only regret is that I waited so long to put it together. You will notice that I routed the cables under the top tube like an Intense or a Blur. Why SC put all the braze-ons for down tube routing mystifies me; it makes for longer cables that can get caught up and just looks ugly. I am also not convinced about continuous cables without tension stops. If I did not love the color so much I would attack the brackets since there is a lot of extraneous metal there. Nonetheless I am very surprised and happy. I have absolutely no regrets and will ride through the winter and enjoy it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your Butchers & Nickels!-dscf0586.jpg  

Post your Butchers & Nickels!-11-27-12-069.jpg  

Post your Butchers & Nickels!-11-27-12-070.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by vizsladog View Post
    X fusion velvet. Great fork regardless of its price wich happens to around 400.00 on the bay.
    I'm liking the reviews but I can't find a 140mm on eBay with a 15mm TA.... Do you run this fork? How easy is it to adjust travel and what about servicing the fork?

mtbr member
    I'm liking the reviews but I can't find a 140mm on eBay with a 15mm TA.... Do you run this fork? How easy is it to adjust travel and what about servicing the fork?
    If you buy it straight from X-fusion, which you can do, they will set it up for you.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    If you buy it straight from X-fusion, which you can do, they will set it up for you.
    I'm checking their website out now hopefully I see what I want

mtbr member
    Your best bet is to give them a call. They are really nice to deal with.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Your best bet is to give them a call. They are really nice to deal with.
    I'm trying to figure out if they ship to Japan....I'm out here on military orders so If I can't deal with them directly I might just buy one off eBay and adjust the travel myself

mtbr member
    That's a good question.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Just placed my order from jensonUSA for a x fusion velvet rl2 DLA now just a few more things till my bike is completely done and I can start on my next build

mtbr member
    great news. the fork is awesome and on their site they show you how to adjust travel

Mine is set at 140mm and it is smooth and stiff. I have a tapered 15mm

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by vizsladog View Post
    great news. the fork is awesome and on their site they show you how to adjust travel

Mine is set at 140mm and it is smooth and stiff. I have a tapered 15mm
    I got the DLA version so I'm assuming you then a knob to adjust travel... Unfortunately this fork (DLA version) isn't 650b compatable but that's nota huge issue to me since I wasn't planning in going 650b any time soon

mtbr member
    Who runs a coil on their butcher? If I was to get one, do I try to mimic the same "tune"as the air shock and what weight of spring ?
    I want to make my butcher into a mini DH bike thats why im asking
    Thanks in advance

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Whelp, here she is, my new frame.

Call it a Nickel EVO?

I needed a large frame, because the medium Remedy I was on before was causing back problems with how cramped it was.

Notables are:

-Van 36rc2 lowered to 145mm, piston honed, shimmed for more LSC

-Roco TST r air. Graphic says 57mm stroke, but its really 51mm (I don't know why). Rebuilt with my own custom seal kit using Minnesota Rubber genuine quad seals. If you need a rebuild kit let me know, I have a few left that I put together. Easy to service, simple to rebuild. IFP set for a more linear stroke, rebuilt with redline fluids. The best performing air shock I've ever run, and I've run most all of them, except for a CCDB air.

-Sun inferno 31 rims. Such a great rim for the money. 550g on my scale, and 26mm inner width. Lets those tires sit like they are supposed to. THe build quality was top notch, and they are even hand engraved by the person who checked and built the rim. Oh, they're, like, 45 bucks each or something.

-12x135 rear hub using the new hayes 12x135 to 10mm bolt on adapter. This is a sweeet piece for the money. O rings to keep it from sliding inside the hub, nice fit and finish, and it made the rear end nice and stiff. I was coming off of a thru axle rear on my old frame, and I couldn't go back to something floppy.

Overall, I'm really happy with the bike in our short time together. I transferred most of the parts from my old frame, and rebuilt/tweaked/modded them into exactly what I wanted for this bike. It's the first new frame I've ever had, so that was exciting. The 24"tt feels right on at 6' with a 50mm stem, and 1" of drop from the saddle to bars.

I wanted a shorter travel bike for snappy xc riding, but I still wanted something that I could shred Michigan lift access riding on when I travel with one bike (which is most of the time).

My remedy, when all was said and done, had a 65 head angle. Hopefully by summer I'll have a works components 1.5 degree cup in there to rake this out a bit. Even though I'm only getting 125mm of rear travel, the roco is plush, composed, and the bike feels totally bottomless. I've been riding on chopped up refrozed rutted out trails, and even in the 20 degree cold, the suspension soaks the small bumps up without feeling wallowy.

Any questions about the setup, let me know.

Hunter

Swedetarded
    Quote Originally Posted by CDMC View Post
    Photo of the year!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Hmm so I have a predicament.... Im currently running a 120mm stem and I want to shorten my stem some perhaps to around 80 or so but im really comfortable with the way it stands now. what size stem are you running for those of us who are 5'8" tall

mtbr member
    Hmm so I have a predicament.... Im currently running a 120mm stem and I want to shorten my stem some perhaps to around 80 or so but im really comfortable with the way it stands now. what size stem are you running for those of us who are 5'8" tall
    Wow, that's way to long a stem if you are riding a medium. I would shorten that up to anywhere between 70 and 90, but use a wider bar to make yourself feel comfortable. I'm riding a medium with. 90mm stem and 720mm bar. I'm 5'9".

mtbr member
    Im 5'7", on a medium, 680mm bar and 90mm stem. Im also on a Thomson setback post with the seat set to the rear. Id like to try a 100 or 110mm stem sometime, but am very happy with my current setup.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I'm 5'10" riding a medium 650b Nickel. I have a 70mm stem and 720mm bars and it feels perfect for me.

Here is a teaser pic of what I am going to be building up next.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DYI01 View Post
    I'm 5'10" riding a medium 650b Nickel. I have a 70mm stem and 720mm bars and it feels perfect for me.

Here is a teaser pic of what I am going to be building up next.
    Building up a second Nickel?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Building up a second Nickel?
    A Nickel "LT" It will probably push the limits a bit further than a few of you guys have with the 150mm fork, but I'm pretty sure the frame can handle it. I have a feeling that SC overbuilt these frames quite a bit judging by the weight. This will be a resort/park bike build reminiscent of the now discontinued Transition Bottlerocket.

What does a bean mean?!
    I am a lucky new member of the Nickel tribe! After riding and really liking both Santa Cruz's single-pivot and VPP bikes I took a chance and ordered one. Been for a few rides on it out here in Pisgah/DuPont and and I'm loving it so far. (Very intrigued in 650b'ing it but that's a different discussion...)

While researching the Nickel I remember reading something in a thread somewhere about a piece on these frames that breaks easily or is defective or something, and if you contact Santa Cruz they will send you a replacement. Now that I own one I'd like to go a head and get one of the replacement parts, just in case. I have searched some of the threads about the Nickel on here and can't find anything, so I'm asking you fellow Nickel owners to help me out!!

Does anyone know what I'm talking about or did all my internet searching infiltrate my brain and I dreamed this?!?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by COTarHeel View Post
    I am a lucky new member of the Nickel tribe! After riding and really liking both Santa Cruz's single-pivot and VPP bikes I took a chance and ordered one. Been for a few rides on it out here in Pisgah/DuPont and and I'm loving it so far. (Very intrigued in 650b'ing it but that's a different discussion...)

While researching the Nickel I remember reading something in a thread somewhere about a piece on these frames that breaks easily or is defective or something, and if you contact Santa Cruz they will send you a replacement. Now that I own one I'd like to go a head and get one of the replacement parts, just in case. I have searched some of the threads about the Nickel on here and can't find anything, so I'm asking you fellow Nickel owners to help me out!!

Does anyone know what I'm talking about or did all my internet searching infiltrate my brain and I dreamed this?!?
    Butcher and Nickel owners read this...

What does a bean mean?!
    YES! Thank you! Glad to know my brain didn't invent this, though it's forum searching skills seem suspect.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by COTarHeel View Post
    YES! Thank you! Glad to know my brain didn't invent this, though it's forum searching skills seem suspect.
    I forgot about this. I'll have to write an email and see if they still have some new ones.

mtbr member
    Got my Nickel frame a week or two ago. Just got my cranks in. Just waiting on a Revelation U-turn fork and Elixir 5 brakes.

New Blackspire pedals compared to my old Animals.

Also my $10 bike "stand" if you want to call it that.

Chainguide and bash.
    Last edited by Hoban; 01-11-2013 at 01:22 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Hey Guys, ive had my butcher now for a year or so, quick question for all other owners.

Do you find it quite a slow rolling bike? It just doesnt roll that quickly in my eyes.
    Let me know your experiences please. Cheers Mike

mtbr member
    I would think a combination of tire choice and suspension would create this issue.

mtbr member
    Wheel bearings. I swear that it feels like when my Nickel leaves the pavement and goes to the dirt that it rolls faster.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lawson View Post
    Hey Guys, ive had my butcher now for a year or so, quick question for all other owners.

Do you find it quite a slow rolling bike? It just doesnt roll that quickly in my eyes.
    Let me know your experiences please. Cheers Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by liljoe76 View Post
    I would think a combination of tire choice and suspension would create this issue.
    My butcher is a pretty slow roller compared to the 29er. The high rollers were the main reason for this particularly with the puncture resistant tubes this bike came with.
    16 Process 111DL
    15 Process 134DL
    16 Process 153DL
    16 Honzo DL
    16 Private Jake

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Awesome Morning Ride at Pulau Ubin Ketam Trail... Singapore
    First Trail Ride for the Santa Cruz Nickel...
    Loving it even more!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    VJRK77
    What rims are those?
    Did you buy your frame in Singapore ? I am looking for an XS Nickel for my lady

mtbr member
    Wow, love the color combo!

Got mine together tonight using my Trek's fork and BB7s. Waiting on a Revelation U-turn fork and Elixir 5 brakes. Hitting some freeride trails tomorrow.

Love it already. I feel like I'm in the bike and don't have to lean forward to load the front around turns like my Fuel EX7. The shorter top tube fits me great with a 60mm stem. I did go with a set back seatpost for now in case I need to pull it back some.

SLX cranks with Blackspire chainguide and pedals.

The bike is a great balance of stability and flickablity. Love this frame.

Last edited by Hoban; 01-08-2013 at 10:33 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by simonuk View Post
    VJRK77
    What rims are those?
    Did you buy your frame in Singapore ? I am looking for an XS Nickel for my lady
    Rims are Spank Subrosa Evo 30 rims...
    Frame (M Size) bought locally in Singapore at local Authorised Agent, ReEvolution. Located at the base of Mount Faber.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Just finished my 12' Nickel. Bought if from a Shop in Moab Utah via internet. It was one of their demo bikes, ive since upgraded the following:

Shimano XT M785 Brakeset
    Shimano Zee Crankset (went 1x9)
    E Thirteen DRS Chainguide/bashgaurd
    ODI Ruffian Lock on grips
    And miscellaneous odds and ends, ie; Skewers, bolts etc etc

Pic:

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoban View Post
    Wow, love the color combo!

Got mine together tonight using my Trek's fork and BB7s. Waiting on a Revelation U-turn fork and Elixir 5 brakes. Hitting some freeride trails tomorrow.

Love it already. I feel like I'm in the bike and don't have to lean forward to load the front around turns like my Fuel EX7. The shorter top tube fits me great with a 60mm stem. I did go with a set back seatpost for now in case I need to pull it back some.

SLX cranks with Blackspire chainguide and pedals.

The bike is a great balance of stability and flickablity. Love this frame.

Hey Paul, bike is looking good and great action shots! What park is this?
    16 Process 111DL
    15 Process 134DL
    16 Process 153DL
    16 Honzo DL
    16 Private Jake

fraid of heights
    Quote Originally Posted by GFMarlin13' View Post
    Just finished my 12' Nickel. Bought if from a Shop in Moab Utah via internet. It was one of their demo bikes, ive since upgraded the following:

Shimano XT M785 Brakeset
    Shimano Zee Crankset (went 1x9)
    E Thirteen DRS Chainguide/bashgaurd
    ODI Ruffian Lock on grips
    And miscellaneous odds and ends, ie; Skewers, bolts etc etc

Pic:

nice bike! I almost bought a green Nickel from a tour company myself a couple weeks ago.

I still can't believe SC kept the single pivots, and got rid of this design. I could understand if they would have replaced them with carbon versions, but...
    Quote Originally Posted by the_owl
    Everytime you ride in mud, god kills a kitten.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    GAHHHH!!!! I just sold my Fork and wheels in hopes that My X Fusion was going to ship next week well JensonUSA removed it from their website and when I click on the my fork in my order it says OUT OF STOCK instead of "Usually ships in 1-2 weeks"

mtbr member
    GAHHHH!!!! I just sold my Fork and wheels in hopes that My X Fusion was going to ship next week well JensonUSA removed it from their website and when I click on the my fork in my order it says OUT OF STOCK instead of "Usually ships in 1-2 weeks"
    Call X-fusion. They are very cool to deal with.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Check out Tryonbike and BikerBob too. I think you'll save money over Jenson.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ATXZJ View Post
    Hey Paul, bike is looking good and great action shots! What park is this?
    Thanks Marcus. It's out at Stewart Stub state park out in Vernonia. There's a couple XC loops and a couple downhill/freeride trails so far. They're building onto it every month. Good stuff, and close to me (30 min from Beaverton).

mtbr member
    Thanks Marcus. It's out at Stewart Stub state park out in Vernonia. There's a couple XC loops and a couple downhill/freeride trails so far. They're building onto it every month. Good stuff, and close to me (30 min from Beaverton).
    Ah, nice! We passed close by on our way to cannon

Did you get a front derailleur? If not, how did the blackspire do?
    16 Process 111DL
    15 Process 134DL
    16 Process 153DL
    16 Honzo DL
    16 Private Jake

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Call X-fusion. They are very cool to deal with.
    Ill try giving then a ring
    Quote Originally Posted by sneakyt View Post
    Check out Tryonbike and BikerBob too. I think you'll save money over Jenson.
    Thanks ill check them out

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ATXZJ View Post
    Ah, nice! We passed close by on our way to cannon

Did you get a front derailleur? If not, how did the blackspire do?
    Front derailleur is back ordered (SLX 3speed). Should be here soon. However, with the Blackspire stinger held the chain on awesome without it, even on jumps and drops. Slight noise with it, but don't notice while riding. Good deal for $40.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    So I ended up ordering a Rock Shox revelation RLT for a temporary fix and bought a whole XT drive train with brakes in a month or so ill try looking for a better fork XFusion didn't answer for me I guess it's the time difference... Gotta love being in Japan

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I love my XT Brakes

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by GFMarlin13' View Post
    I love my XT Brakes
    I was going to go with a whole X.9 set up with Elixer brakes in Red, but I decided to go with what I know.... which is Shimano, Im sure I would be happy with either

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I was going to go with a whole X.9 set up with Elixer brakes in Red, but I decided to go with what I know.... which is Shimano, Im sure I would be happy with either
    I'm happy with my Elixir 9s, but XTs feel even better imo. Even the SLX brakes are fantastic for the money. I do like the feel of SRAM drivetrain more though. At XT or X9 levels, you really can't go wrong with either.

mtbr member
    Front derailleur is back ordered (SLX 3speed). Should be here soon. However, with the Blackspire stinger held the chain on awesome without it, even on jumps and drops. Slight noise with it, but don't notice while riding. Good deal for $40.
    Good to know! I installed a 30T andersen ring, BBG "bashwich" and also picked up a stinger off ebay for $22 just to be sure the chain stays on

Picked up a minion 2.5 UST in 42A compound for angel fire!

16 Process 111DL
    15 Process 134DL
    16 Process 153DL
    16 Honzo DL
    16 Private Jake

mtbr member
    So I ended up ordering a Rock Shox revelation RLT for a temporary fix and bought a whole XT drive train with brakes in a month or so ill try looking for a better fork XFusion didn't answer for me I guess it's the time difference... Gotta love being in Japan
    I would just stay with the RS RLT. It's a great fork, and when it needs a service you can have it PUSHed. Did you get the Dual Air version?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I would just stay with the RS RLT. It's a great fork, and when it needs a service you can have it PUSHed. Did you get the Dual Air version?
    no Its its a 2011 OE from Jenson

Rockshox Revelation RLT 140 Oe Fork '11 > Components > Forks > Suspension Forks | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

Ill try it out and see how it goes from there

mtbr member
    no Its its a 2011 OE from Jenson

Rockshox Revelation RLT 140 Oe Fork '11 > Components > Forks > Suspension Forks | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

Ill try it out and see how it goes from there
    I think that's a dual air.
    Revelation RLT 140 2011 at Jenson

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I think that's a dual air.
    Revelation RLT 140 2011 at Jenson
    This makes me more excited to try it out..... The reviews on bike reader were saying its mediocre..... Ill see how I enjoy the ride...... I'm sure it will be stiffer and actuall give me the 140mm of travel unlike my recent Float I just sold and only gave me 3.75 in of the 4.75 it claimed (2008 F120r)...... I can't wait to get my Cruz all put back together the frame could use a good cleaning as well

mtbr member
    Finished my build...for now. Love this bike.

2012 Nickel frame
    Cane Creek headset
    Revelation air U turn
    Sunringle MTX33 rims
    SLX cranks
    SLX 2x9 derailleurs
    Blackspire Stinger
    Blackspire pedals
    Answer 720 bars
    Jagwire cables
    Elixir 5 brakes with 185 rotors
    Bell / Kenda tires

Last edited by Hoban; 01-20-2013 at 02:58 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Finished my build...for now. Love this bike.

2012 Nickel frame
    Cane Creek headset
    Revelation air U turn
    Sunringle MTX33 rims
    SLX cranks
    SLX 2x9 derailleurs
    Blackspire Stinger
    Blackspire pedals
    Answer 720 bars
    Jagwire cables
    Elixir 5 brakes with 185 rotors
    Bell / Kenda tires
    Very nice! Im waiting for a few things to come in then I have to save up to get some XT brakes and ill be set!
    Last edited by DAnREal; 01-18-2013 at 09:55 PM.

fraid of heights
    Love that color green! (won't quote the pics yet AGAIN)

Another thing I don't get about SC discontinuing these frames. Why didn't they at least wait till they had sold down stock more? There were obviously several hundreds of frames fresh and ready to sell. (plus they still have to keep a decent batch for warranty replacements for a few years) So I wonder why didn't they didn't at least sell down their stock before dropping the line entirely... weird.
    Quote Originally Posted by the_owl
    Everytime you ride in mud, god kills a kitten.

mtbr member
    Finished my bashwich/stinger/andersen project and took the butcher out today. God help me I love this bike!

Last edited by ATXZJ; 01-23-2013 at 08:04 PM.
    16 Process 111DL
    15 Process 134DL
    16 Process 153DL
    16 Honzo DL
    16 Private Jake

mtbr member
    FYI, CompetitiveCyclist.com has a killer deal on a Nickel build right now. $1999 with some pretty legit components.

mtbr member
    Awesome Marcus. Looks tits.

I'm really wishing the Butcher was available, but I'm happy with the Nickel. Love the geo (seriously awesome), but I hope the longer shock I'm getting this week helps the travel feel.

mtbr member
    Awesome Marcus. Looks tits.

I'm really wishing the Butcher was available, but I'm happy with the Nickel. Love the geo (seriously awesome), but I hope the longer shock I'm getting this week helps the travel feel.
    Thanks Paul! I'm sure changing the shock will help, even if was the standard length. The float just seems to plow through travel and doesn't feel any different than my 100mm bikes. I definitely want to do something with the shock on the butcher and soon.
    16 Process 111DL
    15 Process 134DL
    16 Process 153DL
    16 Honzo DL
    16 Private Jake

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Santa Cruz Butcher 650B

Here's my ride..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your Butchers & Nickels!-bike-1.jpg  

Post your Butchers & Nickels!-bike-2.jpg  

Post your Butchers & Nickels!-bike-4.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mudfoot124 View Post
    Here's my ride..
    Love the orange scheme! Great looking bike!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Mosquito1 View Post
    Love the orange scheme! Great looking bike!
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Loving Mine
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your Butchers & Nickels!-p4pb9108719.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by trailjunkie12897 View Post
    Loving Mine
    Nice look.
    Is that red & orange

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Great additions. I bet that 650b Butcher is an absolute beast.

trailjunkie, what wheels and bars are those. Like the red.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    installed some updates to my Nickel!!! couldn't be happier the shifting is unreal and extremely smooth, and the fork feels bottomless.... I was wrong to think this fork would be a temporary fork

Full XT drive train upgrade, with a Truvativ AM stem 70mm, Shimano XT Ice Tech Rcenter lock rotors, Shimano XT hubs, and a Rock Shox Revelation RLT fork..... still to come XT brakes and a dropper post

mtbr member
    Nice! Same fork I'm using. How much do you weigh? And what setup are you using on the fork?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    @DanReal: Thatīs a nice built!

mtbr member
    Weighed the butcher today. 31.36 LBS

2012 RAM, Large
    16 Process 111DL
    15 Process 134DL
    16 Process 153DL
    16 Honzo DL
    16 Private Jake

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Nice! Same fork I'm using. How much do you weigh? And what setup are you using on the fork?
    Im running 125 up top and about 120 below.... I need to change it up some Im about 200 with gear but I want my fork a little more plush ill mess with it some more this weekend

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by tobiwan View Post
    @DanReal: Thatīs a nice built!
    thanks I appreciate it!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Anyone know if there are any Butcher frames still out there. Trying to build one up for my brother and just can't find one anywhere. Any help would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    there's a couple on pinkbike. the path bike shop has one as well
    16 Process 111DL
    15 Process 134DL
    16 Process 153DL
    16 Honzo DL
    16 Private Jake

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Butcher owners. Assume I don't care about the warranty. Does anyone ride a 180mm fork with their Butcher? Is it a bad idea.

I do mostly light DH and FR and some trail. Not a long ride guy. Thinking about getting a Fox 36 Van RC2. I can always drop it to 170...thoughts?

mtbr member
    i dont see why not, i park ride with a 160 float. 180 would be very nice.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    question for any one who knows.... Ive just got a Shimano XT FD-M786 Front Derailleur in and its not fitting.... what front Derrailleur do I need? SC says a 34.9 top swing/top pull front derailleur..... didn't know it had to be a certain height.... am i missing something?

mtbr noob
    question for any one who knows.... Ive just got a Shimano XT FD-M786 Front Derailleur in and its not fitting.... what front Derrailleur do I need? SC says a 34.9 top swing/top pull front derailleur..... didn't know it had to be a certain height.... am i missing something?
    I just sold my butcher and have one that won't fit my new surly.
    Only has 15 miles on it.
    PM me if interested.
    roxo56
    Surly Troll
    SC Butcher

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by roxo56 View Post
    I just sold my butcher and have one that won't fit my new surly.
    Only has 15 miles on it.
    PM me if interested.
    Thanks! If I were in the states I would jump on it.... (assuming your in the states) but im just gonna try to run my old deore until I can find a local shop that has the FD-M775

mtbr member
    Isn't that a direct mount? If it is, you can't use it on a Nickel of Butcher.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Isn't that a direct mount? If it is, you can't use it on a Nickel of Butcher.
    nope its a clamp style just a High clamp im assuming.... Which SC would have stated that the high clamp didnt work.... then again I should have known

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Whats the best dropper post to get for my nickel? Im thinking a KS i950..... thoughts?

mtbr member
    Whats the best dropper post to get for my nickel? Im thinking a KS i950..... thoughts?
    Sneak Peek: X-Fusion Hilo SL Dropper Post | Mountain Bike Review ?

just a man
    I've owned a HILO, KSi950 & Supernatual, and Reverbs. The HILO wasn't too good in my opinion. The i950 works ok. The Supernatural crapped out after 2 rides. And the Reverbs have worked spectacularly. I run Reverbs on my Nickel and Butcher.
    [URL=https://www.juststopandthink.com/david-nassar-religion-the-movie-religion-video/[/URL]

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I hear lots of good things about the Reverb. Thompson is coming out with one real soon. Check the link

Thompson Elite Dropper hydraulic seatpost | BikeRadar

mtbr member
    Reverb FTW. Had mine since June and its been awesome. SRAM warranty/service has been good as well.

mtbr member
    I've been eyeing the 170mm lyrik for trips to the bike park and riding the more aggressive stuff.

Lyrik RC2 DH | SRAM

Quote Originally Posted by gcdavis33 View Post
    Butcher owners. Assume I don't care about the warranty. Does anyone ride a 180mm fork with their Butcher? Is it a bad idea.

I do mostly light DH and FR and some trail. Not a long ride guy. Thinking about getting a Fox 36 Van RC2. I can always drop it to 170...thoughts?
    16 Process 111DL
    15 Process 134DL
    16 Process 153DL
    16 Honzo DL
    16 Private Jake

mtbr member
    I've been running that post on on my Nomad for a 2 x 12 month seasons. Works great.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

I have fitted a 180 talas on my butcher...I don't quite comfortable with it...as the angle is abit off...160mm would be good

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    made some more updates on my Cruz....
    Rock Shox Revelation 140mm RLT w/15mm TA
    Cane Creek 110 Headset
    Full Shimano XT drive train 2x10
    Shimano XT Hydro trail brakes with Ice tech center lockrotors
    Truvativ AKA AM 70mm Stem
    Shimano XT M788 hubs with Mavic hoops (Nothing special)
    Crank bros Mallets 3

Coming in the mail is a KS i950 seat post

yeah I know the hydro lines need to be trimmed im waiting for the bleed kit to come in

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Ya I think I am going to jump on the Van 180 and drop it to 170 which I have read is pretty simple just swap out the air shaft assembly and see how it works. Hopefully it will prevent some over the handlebar events of late

facebook.com/photo.php?v=660013810012

mtbr member

speed is your friend

16 Process 111DL
    15 Process 134DL
    16 Process 153DL
    16 Honzo DL
    16 Private Jake

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Ya I think I am going to jump on the Van 180 and drop it to 170 which I have read is pretty simple just swap out the air shaft assembly and see how it works. Hopefully it will prevent some over the handlebar events of late

i dont think having a bigger fork will prevent that... by going that slow you're gonna go over the bars even with a DH bike.... on drops its all about momentum..... dig in and pull up on your bars... not sure how big that drop was but from what it looks like maybe a ft to 2 ft drop?
    Last edited by DAnREal; 02-11-2013 at 10:52 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    i dont think having a bigger fork will prevent that... by going that slow your gonna go over the bars even with a DH bike.... on drops its all about momentum..... dig in and pull up on your bars... not sure how big that drop was but from what it looks like maybe a ft to 2 ft drop?

In my defense my current fork is a Fox 32 140 rlc. I thought a little more length could let me tentatively go over something like that with less momentum and ride it out. I settled on a RS Lyric RC2 DH 170mm...and ya totally wussed out on that because I was riding it for the first time...but it was pretty weak. But a great fall.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    i dont think having a bigger fork will prevent that... by going that slow your gonna go over the bars even with a DH bike.... on drops its all about momentum..... dig in and pull up on your bars... not sure how big that drop was but from what it looks like maybe a ft to 2 ft drop?
    Totally agree... You may wanna try leaning further back for speeds that slow to prevent over the bars... Fingers of the front brake too...

mtbr member
    I settled on a RS Lyric RC2 DH 170mm....
    Nice choice! Keep us posted on how it works out for you.
    16 Process 111DL
    15 Process 134DL
    16 Process 153DL
    16 Honzo DL
    16 Private Jake

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    i have a few question for the 650b Butcher guys....
    ☞1. there is room between the shock linkage & seat mast; have any of you used a slightly longer eye to eye, making even more room for rear wheel? im kicking around the idea of a CaneCreek D/B.
    ☞2. have the 650b guys stepped up in fork to the suggested 160mm?
    ☞3. any ideas on what the biggest tire width that is usable in this combo? i currently run 2.5 and would likely cry if i cant keep my monster tires ☹
    i present you "Mrs Cleaver" (btw that a 20mm profile classic i machined to fit 15mm)

Last edited by dedmann; 02-21-2013 at 10:07 AM.

Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 9