• So stiff I'm running 2.7 tires and they never rub

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pretty stiff and my 2.5's never rub

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Kinda stiff and my 2.5's don't rub unless I'm killing it

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Sorta stiff and I have to run 2.3 tires or else

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Oh, c'mon, it's stiff as hell but I just don't like the bike and I'm a troll :lol:

Votes: 4 36.4%

Poll: Does your Carbon Nomad flex?

1K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  huwe 
#1 ·
Initially, I thought the Nomadc was the stiffest bike I've ever ridden... well at least as stiff as my Firebird. Took it to a bike park and after cleaning 'her' up, noticed there are black rubber rub marks from the tires on both chainstays. I'm quite suprised because I normally don't get that. I was running 823 rims with WTB Prowler MX 2.5's.

So just a little poll:

#2 ·
I noticed the same rub marks on my frame when running a 2.4 cst cabalero. They were just black rubber marks, nothing into the paint. I still think thats a bit odd. I am not positive where the flex is coming from, the front triangle is uber stiff. Perhaps that stiffness translates more flex to the rear where other frames distribute loads through the whole frame. Just thinking and typing. I ride a xl size and weigh 222. I also run stans flow rims with sealant in all my tires, which lends to a little fatter casing as well as some added sidewall flop/flex.

#5 ·
I run through axle rears on my Flow/Hope wheels in the back there is no way in hell those things are flexing. I have tacoed rims in the past flows are bomb proof, Flows are supper stiff and strong maybe with the quick release though could be some flex but I doubt it.

#6 ·
Badpichu said:
I run through axle rears on my Flow/Hope wheels in the back there is no way in hell those things are flexing. I have tacoed rims in the past flows are bomb proof, Flows are supper stiff and strong maybe with the quick release though could be some flex but I doubt it.
Speaking of Stan's rims, how wide are those Flows? I've really liked the XT wheels, but if I were to build something up the Stans rims seem to be really popular.

Dunno if I mentioned it, but the wheels I was using were Magura FR's - DT Swiss 440 hubs, big thick spokes, and Mavic 823 rims with the DWS clamp out back. I went and looked and it doesn't appear the QR is sliding around at all as someone suggested but I have had bikes where you can see the QR has been moving around.

#11 ·
Guy.Ford said:
Ding...ding...ding...we have a winner!! Its called a QR rear axle. This is why big guys like myself dont like qr rear ends, if your getting rub marks think how clydes feel.
Well, I am 225lbs. The QR probably isn't where a wheel is flexing anyway - the rim moving around with the spokes.

I'm somewhat suprised it all moves around that much... there's quite a bit of room back there. I'm also suprised I never got those marks on my aluminum 'mad.

ALSO, I've ridden my Firebird with the same setup, same wheel, same DWS "QR" and no rubbing.

#12 ·
you do have to use the tape on the stans if you run them tubless. I had the arch rims on a niner which are much narrower and they never gave me issues, and the flows are much burlier. I have not had any issue with mine at all. With the stans tape you have to get it super tight then pit a tube in and air it up and let it sit over night, that will pretty much make it a permanent seal.

A little side note, i just pulled the stans raven tires off which hook up surprisingly well, to put on wtb mutanos. I mounted them to the flows with no sealant and inflated them with my floor pump. very impressed with the wtb tcs bead. After I checked em out on the bike I put the stans sealant in and pumped em up and they held perfectly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.