mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Polished SC frames / Blur ?

Went out for a group ride last night and a polished Blur LT rolled by. I remarked that it looked nice polished but the rest of the group didn't agree stating Polished looks retro, old, dated whatever terminology for not good. Is polished a less desirable color / finish ? Like to hear some thoughts especially since I need to make a color / finish descision on a new frame. Thanx

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I have an '04 Heckler, full polished. I think it's cool, even though it isn't nearly as shiny as new. I have Mother's aluminum polish and with some hard scrubbin' you can get them shiny again, which is more than I can say for a powdercoat finish. It's all in the eye of the beholder. Somebody might say they're too blingy but I like 'em.

That said, I got my Free in grey ano and I like that finish a lot too. I guess I'm easy pleasy.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I ordered a bullit .2 in polished.. I think it looks sick!

mtbr member
    Agreed; polished is one of the nicer color that you can get out of the lineup. Just polished it with Mothers and it looks like new. Lots of people notice my Nomad leaving a comment how its shiny.

The Road Warrior
    How about anodized? What's that look like? I'm ordering an orange anodized, myself. Haven't seen one up close yet, but the pic on the website looks cool.

Get Down Do you
    Quote Originally Posted by LandSpeed
    How about anodized? What's that look like? I'm ordering an orange anodized, myself. Haven't seen one up close yet, but the pic on the website looks cool.

Polished is a hot color. I have a preference for the Ano though because it's bullet proof. But of the non Ano Colors it's definitely Blue, polished, and Green that I like the best and for some reason white is starting to grow on me.
    Progression is fine just remember to respect your roots.

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    IMO, the polished look on the SC line tends to look a bit weird- it looks so 'shiny' that it looks like silver paint over the aluminium. Contrast that to the Yetii or Cannondale 'raw' finishes (clearcoat over brushed aluminium) or any bare Ti frames (brushed or mirror-polished) and I think that the SC polished look just isn't up to scratch.

On the other hand, the SC ano and powdercoatings look great and much more tasteful. Well, except for the ano lime green- that's just plain weird

mtbr member
    Polished color is the only way to blind squirrels and take their nuts.

You can always polish it again and put the new stickers (:

..and save the weight d:

mtbr member
    How about over all longevity of a polished frame. I've read plenty of verbatim on keeping them polished but what about just plain old life expectancy Do polished frames hold up as well as anodized or powder coat over the long run?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    If you take care of polished, just as you would with p.c. I dont see why the longevity would be any different.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan
    How about over all longevity of a polished frame. I've read plenty of verbatim on keeping them polished but what about just plain old life expectancy Do polished frames hold up as well as anodized or powder coat over the long run?
    I think the polished looks better as time goes by. My mate has few year old polished heckler and it has taken on a good colour now. It doesn't show scratches and scuffs the same as paint would and although anodising gives a tough finish, deep scratches and gouges show through silver (unless the frame is anodised silver and then they're hard to spot). I'd say if you go for a polished, then let it go dull and don't polish it up, SC paint quality is very average at best but the anodised frames look nice.
    You can't make a racehorse out of a donkey, but you can make a fast donkey.

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan
    How does the paint or powercoat or anodization affect longevity at all? It's a cosmetic and cleanliness thing. Aluminium frames don't rust like steel. They oxidise, but this isn't a creeping, destructive process like rust.

Members who have read this thread: 0