Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Play in Santa Cruz Linkage.

Hi I have a Santa Cruz XC blur 06 which when you pick the seat up by the seat post you can feel play in the linkage. I have checked all the barrings and also have changed the bushings on the shock yet the play is still there. I'm starting to think its a charateristic of the frame doesn't affect the ride but is just very annoying. Has anybody else had this problem and how do you fix it thanks.

mtbr member
    Read their maintenance page - you need to shorten the axles 1-2 mm (the ones that spin after being tightened) and re-torque to spec. IF your bearings aren't shot (NO side to side play).

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    There's no sideways play in the linkage just up and down have already stripe down and bearings look fine how would I short'n the axels with a file? Could you put up a link for the mantenice page as I'm new here and still find my way around the site thanks.

mtbr member
    check your lower link for wear, if it's wore out get a new one and shorten your axles by 1-2 mm.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Whats the best way of shortning the axel

mtbr member
    dremil or hack saw

mtbr member

weird

my new 08 nomad that i got for christmas has a similar problem, when i pick it up by the seatpost I get slight play. I thought it was just the way it was but , it's at the shop now, my lyrik is off for service. Looks like when I get it back I got more work to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by pipes10
    ^^hey, bikers helping bikers out...that's the way it should be....

pooter
    Aug 2008
    I had the same problem. It was caused by the link becoming worn and into a 'oval' shape rather than a 'sphere'. Therefor picking up that seat caused minor (and very annoying) play in the whole suspension.

I went through the same process: change bearings, check shock...but in the end changing out the link for a new one fixed it right away!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Taken bike into Goldtec today their going to replace lower axels on it should get it back tommorow see if it'll cure the problem.Thanks for the help.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Jizzy
    Hi I have a Santa Cruz XC blur 06 which when you pick the seat up by the seat post you can feel play in the linkage. I have checked all the barrings and also have changed the bushings on the shock yet the play is still there. I'm starting to think its a charateristic of the frame doesn't affect the ride but is just very annoying. Has anybody else had this problem and how do you fix it thanks.
    check the DU bushing on your shock - it could be worn and be the cause. This has happened to me twice in the course of by Blur ownership.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dmannx
    check the DU bushing on your shock - it could be worn and be the cause. This has happened to me twice in the course of by Blur ownership.
    He said he just changed the shock bushings!

Assuming those are fine it almost ALWAYS is the front shock pivot bolt if you can feel slop at the seat (can tell if it spins freely even after tightened to spec (90 in/lbs). Shorten by 1mm using a dremel tool and GOOD2GO!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    If the axles are to long it can cause the wear to happen sooner.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I've taken the drawing in of the axel Goldtec are making the parts for me and fitting.thanks for your help.

mtbr member
    What are they making for you?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

blut lt2 play

I've had my blur lt2 for 2 weeks today, about 8 rides on it, nothing serious either. I notice there is some play in the bushing where the 'seatstay' end of the rear triangle fits into the carbon link. I can lift the bike by the seat and see it move. Think the long axle problem is to blame?

Got A Lust for Life...
    Quote Originally Posted by ritter
    I've had my blur lt2 for 2 weeks today, about 8 rides on it, nothing serious either. I notice there is some play in the bushing where the 'seatstay' end of the rear triangle fits into the carbon link. I can lift the bike by the seat and see it move. Think the long axle problem is to blame?
    Probably not. I have the same thing. It appears it is the reducer in the shock. This is a recurring problem in Blurs and it f'n sucks balls. I just let it roll and I'll get around to changing it out whenever I feel like it. Why, because it will feel the same way in about 5 rides anyway. It doesn't seem to hurt anything. Sure, I can feel the rear end move a bit when I lift the bike from the saddle...but that doesn't mean dick when I am riding. Seems it is just one of the dues we have to pay to play the game that is riding SC bikes...

I'd love to find a solution to this problem...I am all ears. But really...I don't care.
    I am immune to your disdain.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    They are making the bottom linkage axels and checking the linkage and barring also.They manufacture pritty much anything for you if you ask nicely.And there only a mile away from my house.Go to www.betd.co.uk there web site thanks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by indyfab25
    Probably not. I have the same thing. It appears it is the reducer in the shock. This is a recurring problem in Blurs and it f'n sucks balls. I just let it roll and I'll get around to changing it out whenever I feel like it. Why, because it will feel the same way in about 5 rides anyway. It doesn't seem to hurt anything. Sure, I can feel the rear end move a bit when I lift the bike from the saddle...but that doesn't mean dick when I am riding. Seems it is just one of the dues we have to pay to play the game that is riding SC bikes...

I'd love to find a solution to this problem...I am all ears. But really...I don't care.

There is no play in the shock bushing. There is play where the rear triangle goes into the link. The shock and rear triangle are completely separate.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ritter
    There is no play in the shock bushing. There is play where the rear triangle goes into the link. The shock and rear triangle are completely separate.
    Shorten that pivot axle by 1mm and no more play.

mtbr member
    indyfab25 and ritter if you have play in your lower link and you don't make your axles shorter you will need a new link and it will happen all over again. Not sure this is true on the LT2. I'm assuming your axle bolts are tight.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by biketuna
    indyfab25 and ritter if you have play in your lower link and you don't make your axles shorter you will need a new link and it will happen all over again. Not sure this is true on the LT2. I'm assuming your axle bolts are tight.
    The play in mine is in the upper link. The bolts are tight.

Got A Lust for Life...
    Likewise,
    And as stated, it is because of the shock reducers.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Ok, this is where my linkage has play. Plain as day to see there is play when lifting the seat, and unless I'm mistaken this is not a shock reducer. Either way, kind of disappointing for an expensive bike.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Got A Lust for Life...
    Yup,
    That is the reducer doin the jig. Replace the shock reducers and blam...no more play. Ride it for a week...blam! Play is back. You should be able to see where it is moving in where the reducers press into the shock eyelet.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I feel that "play" on both my classic blur and my new lT2, the real question, does it really need to be fixed or can it just stay this way ?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast