mtbr member
    May 2013

Play in bottom links on my 2010 Blur LT?

I noticed a bit of wobble in what appeared to be my bottom bracket or crank, and when I brought it in to the shop they told me it was the pivots at the bottom of the VPP. I don't get how that could cause the wobble if it's noticeable when the bike is being pedaled by hand (no suspension active), but whatever. How common is this? I just got the bike, a 2010 model, and they told me it would be $45 for diagnosis then another ~$200 for replacement if the bearings are shot. This seems fair, but I'm new to having a Santa Cruz( or any high performance bike for that matter) and would appreciate some opinions.. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Check out this article. Get yourself some grease, Loctite, a torque wrench with 5, 6, 8mm bits and have at it.

Tech Tuesday: Adjust the Pivot Bearings on Any Santa Cruz VPP Suspension - Pinkbike
    The cake is a lie.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by kubikeman View Post
    Check out this article. Get yourself some grease, Loctite, a torque wrench with 5, 6, 8mm bits and have at it.

Tech Tuesday: Adjust the Pivot Bearings on Any Santa Cruz VPP Suspension - Pinkbike
    Thanks. They're doing an adjustment for $45 and said they would call me if the bearings are shot. If they are, that's and additional $200. Should I just tell them no if they say I need to perform that work and adjust myself?

mtbr member
    That depends on how much you trust your bike shop mechanics

If you're feeling ambitious, you can order the tools and parts you need directly from the Santa Cruz Bikes store. Only problem you may run into is if you bust a bearing while extracting the old ones. Then you're left with half a bearing buried inside your frame

It sounds like you bought a used frame. If they turn out to be rusty and loose, might not be a bad idea to just have the shop replace them and be done with it. Then the frame should give you many more years of worry free service.
    The cake is a lie.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    for $66 you can get a new link with new bearings and install it yourself in less than 10 minutes...
    Santa Cruz Bicycles
    here we go again

mtbr member
    adjusting is seriously a 10 minute job. a couple hex wrenches and youre golden. it sounds like one or both of your axles are loose. just unscrew the bolts, pull out the tapered washers, then unscrew the axles and you should be able to pull the lower link. from there, you can see how the bearings look/feel. http://www.santacruzbikes.com/tech/b...on_bearing.pdf thats a good rundown of the entire process, but the first few steps are what you need to pull the bolts/axles/link.

if the bearings are shot, then youd need new bearings and the bearing removal tool, and the bearing press tool. thats a bigger job and would probably be worth it for them to do it. since youve already got the lower link pulled, just take the link (with the bearings in it) to the shop. might save you some money from them having to pull the link and then put it back on the bike.

if it were me, Id take it apart myself and see if the bearings are still good.

b a n n e d
    No, no, NO!!! Do NOT pay $200 for the LBS to do the bearings, PLEEEEEASE do not. The bearings are FREE from Santa Cruz, and either you can buy the tools to do it yourself for ~$100 or find someone in your area who will help you out. If you're near Los Angeles, I'll do it for the price of 2 beers.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    What he said ^

Lifetime warranty on SC bearings!

$200 !!!! - Though a full bearing overhaul is a bit more involved and technically involves special tools (that any SC shop should have). Still, it's an hour's labour for experts. Personally I'd look for another LBS. Ideally an SC dealer.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Santa Cruz Bicycles frame bearings are warranted for life to the original owner of the bike.

mtbr member
    just an FYI - I replaced my bearings in my BLTc a few months ago. I already had the new bearings. and I had already pulled my upper and lower links. I called a local shop to see what they would charge... They told me they charge $20 PER BEARING. there are 8 bearings, so they wanted $160.

I asked around on my local mtb message board and found someone who had the tools. I offered a couple 6 packs and he let me come over to his house and we had the old bearings out and the new ones in in under 45 minutes.

I still cant believe the LBS wanted that much for a 45 minute job. boggles the mind