mtbr member
    May 2004

Platform pedals on an 07 Heckler

My 07 Heckler is supposed to ship from Speedgoat in about 2 weeks and I was wondering if anyone had some words of wisdom on platform pedals. On my current bike (a Jamis Dakar), I have Crank Bros Mallets, but I use them like platforms (I never could get comfortable with the clipless aspect of the pedal).

Most of my riding is climbing/descending (no drops, nothing extreme) and trail riding. I've used Sun Ringle Zu Zu pedals a few years ago and thought they were pretty good, but I'm not sure what the best pedal would be for the Heckler and my riding style. I don't care that much about weight but I do care about durability and low maintenance. I also don't want to have hamburger shins, so I can trade off a bit of stick-to-the-shoe for a bit less impact on the body.

never ender
    pedals are like grips, what bike they're on doesn't matter as long as they work for you. ZuZus are nice...I have some Wellgo platforms but I'm using SPDs most of the time nowadays.

mtbr member
    May 2005

Wellgo Magnesium MG-1's

Get some Wellgo Magnesium MG-1's @ 370g p/pair w/cromo axles, they're light but tuff and will help with making it easier to pedal rather than some of those overbuilt 600g flatties.

mtbr member
    Another vote for the wellgos
    I had the 50/50 xx pedals on my 07 Heckler and swapped out to the wellgo and saved 300 grams off the bike and they have a better grip than most of the pig pedals out there, only $50-$60 sealed the deal.

mtbr member
    Azonic a-frames! I have about 5 sets of these pedals and ive never had 1 issue ever.I highly recomend.

Bionic Mtn Biker
    Definitely recommend Azonic A frames, best bang for your buck, sturdy, great grip, and pins are easy to replace. Easton flatboys are a worth a look as well. Be sure to wear grippy soles - 5.10 Impacts or Vans Rowleys.
    Better than he was before. Better. . . Stronger. . . Faster. (but not smarter)

mtbr member
    If I recall correctly, Odyssey do a plastic version of their twisted model flat pedal. It is designed for BMX street, but its pretty tough and grippy and is very light. A mate uses them for steer/DJ and loves them. I can't find a weight online for them though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    The best pedal ive ever felt is the new Atomlab Trailkings! They are super skinny and have a sit in fealing instead of sit on. Personally i love super skinny pedals for the "sit in" fealing and i find the fatter the pedal the less i like it.
    My 04 Heckler is running Easton flatboys which i also like as well as the old Atomlab Trailkings though they are both a lil fatter.
    The new Atomlab Trailkings
    Oh yeh i also wear 5 10s, by far the best flatty shoes ive used.

Baby-heads.... oh joy!
    Another for the Wellgo MG-1's. Low stack-height, only about 350 grams, and tough.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I hate to sound like a broken record but...

Quote Originally Posted by Da-Sloth
    Another for the Wellgo MG-1's. Low stack-height, only about 350 grams, and tough.

I hate to sound like a broken record but, wait, what's a record? Anyhow, I've got a set of the Wellgo MG-1's on my Heckler and they have been awesome for the last couple of years. Bashed on rocks numerous times by my 240lbs self. I've never lost a pin, the bearings are as smooth as when new and very little damage to the cage afther multiple bashing. I think they are pretty hard to beat. Light, tough, great grip, low profile and inexpensive. I had A-Frames before and they were nice heavy pedals but I lost lot of pins from hits on rocks. I would think the magnesium with be softer than the aluminum but it seems to hold up better.

Baby-heads.... oh joy!

Hey 67 degrees

Funny thing is, when I bought these pedals, gosh, like 4-5 years ago, I was thinking to myself, man I hope these things hold up to my 250lbs. They were on sale for 38 bucks at super-ho. They have been on three different bikes, I bash the heck out of them(not on purpose of course), and they have stayed strong. I bought a pair of Forte Shovels last year, planned on putting the MG-1's on the hardtail, and the Shovels on the Heckler. That lasted a month, switched back to the MG-1's on the Heckler, and the Shovels on the hardtail. One Forte Shovel weighs the same as both of the MG-1's, 710 grams a pair on the Shovels. I had a pair of Crank Bro's 50/50's for 2 weeks, the bearings were crap, took 'em back, got a refund. bottom line is, for a platform pedal, you can't go wrong with the MG-1's, price, weight, strength, low stack-height.

Members who have read this thread: 0