mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Planning on getting a Tallboy LT but I'm 5'6" and it only comes in size m frame ????

Hi There, I just decided on getting a Tallboy LT after doing some research only to find out that they don't make frame size small and I'm 5'6". I live in El Salvador so I have to order it since the dealer doesn't have any Santa Cruz Bikes here in Stock. Could someone please help me out. I checked the sizing charts and the medium size ranges for 5'5" to 5'10". Can someone who owns one tell me if the medium frame might do it for me. I wont be able to return it so it's a difficult decision. It would be the first tallboy LT they import to my country. I've been riding on a Specialized 29er small frame and it fits just great.
    THANKS ALOT FOR YOUR HELP

Paste eater

Planning on getting a Tallboy LT but I'm 5'6" and it only comes in size m frame ????

You'll fit. My fiancé is 5'5 and she fits fine with a 100mm dropper post and a 45mm stem.

It certainly a 'bigger' ride in terms of build and travel but we live in Moab so it's just right. That being said, the carbon version can be built under 30lbs.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwind View Post
    You'll fit. My fiancé is 5'5 and she fits fine with a 100mm dropper post and a 45mm stem.

It certainly a 'bigger' ride in terms of build and travel but we live in Moab so it's just right. That being said, the carbon version can be built under 30lbs.

Thanks alot. This is the reply I've been expecting jajaja ... I didn't want to miss the chance on riding on this bike.

mtbr member

Re: Planning on getting a Tallboy LT but I'm 5'6" and it only comes in size m

Definitely try before you buy, if you can... I am 5'9" and the front felt too high for me. Even with 0 spacers and inverted stem. I have a reg. Tallboy and it feels fine with a 120 fork. You seem to be a good candidate for a 650b. Bronson or Trc 650b?

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzanova View Post
    Definitely try before you buy, if you can... I am 5'9" and the front felt too high for me. Even with 0 spacers and inverted stem. I have a reg. Tallboy and it feels fine with a 120 fork. You seem to be a good candidate for a 650b. Bronson or Trc 650b?

Thanks... I am not able to try any Santa Cruz bike because they dont have any in Stock. In fact that would be the first trail bike the shop imports to my country. That is why Im not sure becuase I wont be able to return or exchange it.
    The bronson one of my options but the shop told me I'll have to wait to the end of the year to get one.. if I was lucky jajaja... thats too long...
    thanks once again for your input..

mtbr member
    If bar height is the main issue:
    Take a look at these:
    Syntace

If you add a an inverted riser (Niner, Syntace and Ritchey have them) you should be golden.
    If you already know the feel of the 29er wheels, you´ll probably know what you want.
    A 650B could be nice also.

Greetings Znarf

mtbr member extraordinair
    Compare the ETT measurement of a bike you do like to the TBLT. If its within an inch, you'll be fine.
    Grit, spit, and a whole lot of duct tape!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzanova View Post

x2 on this.

The LT is going to feel TALL for a short(er) person. Don't get me wrong, SC has done everything thing they can to keep the head tube as low as possible, but it's still a 140mm 29er. If you're still game, the M frame will fit fine as SC bikes tend to run a bit small.
    SC:12' Butcher (sold)
    SC:12' Superlight 29er (sold)
    SC:12' Juliana (wife's)
    SC:12' TBLT

mtbr member

Re: Planning on getting a Tallboy LT but I'm 5'6" and it only comes e m frame ????

I run an inverted stem on my Tallboy with a tiny spacer. I wish I could go even lower. The problem with this setup would be the shifters hittting the top tube... And this is a regular TB with 120 fork.
    That's why I coudnt get the right fit on the TBLT, it is just too tall for my liking.

Paste eater
    I don't understand this 'tall' talk. It's a long travel bike. Of course it's tall. If you don't want that, then you probably want a different bike - like the regular Tallboy... My fiance uses a 45mm stem with one spacer and risers. You could get pretty low with no spacers and flat bars. Any lower than that and you are doing the bike a dis-service IMO.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Planning on getting a Tallboy LT but I'm 5'6" and it only comes in size m frame

I'm a short-legged (long torso) 5'8 and just moved from a Tallboy to a Tallboy LT. I moved all my Tallboy components onto the new LT frame, which included flat bars and a zero-degree 70mm stem. When I first climbed onto the new LT, it felt REALLY tall. After about a half hour on the bike, I was comfortable. Now, I like this bike better in almost every way than my old Tallboy, which I would not have predicted. It's definitely a cushier ride, and is wonderful going downhill. The real surprise it that it is also every bit as good a climber. I have a TALAS fork, but I just keep it in the 140mm position because I haven't had any issues getting up some steep sections of trail even with the tall front end.

I'm not sure how all of this translates to someone a couple of inches shorter than me, but thought I would share my positive experience with someone down in my height-challenged range. All of this being said, now I want a Bronson too!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ATXZJ View Post
    x2 on this.

The LT is going to feel TALL for a short(er) person. Don't get me wrong, SC has done everything thing they can to keep the head tube as low as possible, but it's still a 140mm 29er. If you're still game, the M frame will fit fine as SC bikes tend to run a bit small.
    Thanks.... I appreciate your help....

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by teelow View Post
    I'm a short-legged (long torso) 5'8 and just moved from a Tallboy to a Tallboy LT. I moved all my Tallboy components onto the new LT frame, which included flat bars and a zero-degree 70mm stem. When I first climbed onto the new LT, it felt REALLY tall. After about a half hour on the bike, I was comfortable. Now, I like this bike better in almost every way than my old Tallboy, which I would not have predicted. It's definitely a cushier ride, and is wonderful going downhill. The real surprise it that it is also every bit as good a climber. I have a TALAS fork, but I just keep it in the 140mm position because I haven't had any issues getting up some steep sections of trail even with the tall front end.

I'm not sure how all of this translates to someone a couple of inches shorter than me, but thought I would share my positive experience with someone down in my height-challenged range. All of this being said, now I want a Bronson too!
    jajaja thanks man ... The Bronson and the Tallboy LT were my final choices but the dealer here in my country could only get the Bronson by the end of the year ... for sure before feb 2014... jajaja thats too much time... I can have the Tallboy LT by the end of May so that did it for me until I found out that medium was the smallest size... but after all the comments and advises from you all .... I'm almost sure I'll be getting the Tallboy LT al. gun black.... I started riding in a 29er and that's all I know.... I've tried some 26ers and it didnt feel right..... thanks once again