Thread: Pivot issues

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Pivot issues

Hi all,
    I'm having major issues with my Tallboy LTa pivots.
    If i tighten the axle bolts enough to remove any play and prevent them coming loose, the rear end doesn't move smoothly and gives a very harsh ride.
    I can loosen them to make it move freely and smoothly, but then they come loose after one or two rides and develop play.
    I've tried loctite with no success, also had a shop look at it, also no luck

Any advice?

mtbr member
    Make sure there's no grease anywhere loctite is going or else it won't set properly.
    Santa Cruz Blur TRc

Trail Ninja
    Get another shop to look at it, preferably one that sells quite a few Santa Cruz and/or Intense bikes. No way that can be diagnosed over the net with that kind of info. The TB LTa has collet-based hardware that shouldn't have that problem, if you're doing things according to the manual. You should be able to set preload on the pivot bearings with the axle bolt and then lock it in by tightening down the conical washer.

Nabbed this image from another thread, but it should be the same setup. The big bolt with the slits in the head is the axle bolt that you tighten to set preload. The conical washer then goes into the head and the bolt pushes the thicker part of the cone against the head of the axle bolt, which spread it out and jams it against the inner bore of whatever the axle slips into:

Long shot, but check the bore for cracks/fractures or material being shaved. Check the axle bolt and conical washer's condition while you're at it. Again, consult the manual and double check your methods.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Have you checked the bearings are ok and not gritty or seized? That would be my guess.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Thanks for the ideas.
    Seems I'm doing everything right. Followed the SC instructions online...
    The bearings are ok (not prefect), the axle bolts have a few scratches and scuffs but otherwise ok. The conical things are good.

Maybe I should just buy all new hardware and bearings and start fresh?

mtbr member
    If you rode the bike for a while with loose and sloppy pivots, there may now be some wear in there that you can't adjust for without causing drag in the system.
    With minor wear, you should be able to adjust things to a point where there is minimal drag, but no slop. It won't be drag free, but you shouldn't notice it while riding.
    If the linkage can't be adjusted like that, then yes it may be time for replacement.
    It's not too hard to kill those bearing if the bike was ridden for a while with loose linkage.
    You can pull every axle/pivot in the linkage-top and lower link-clean things up, spin the bearings, regrease and loctite, and see where that gets you.
    If there's no improvement, just replace the bearings.
    SC offers free bearing replacement for the life of the bike to original owners.

Warrior's Society
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by stalks View Post
    The bearings are ok (not prefect)

Maybe I should just buy all new hardware and bearings and start fresh?
    As soon as you put a little preload on them by bet is that they will be stopping rotating properly and thats why the linkage feels gritty.

I'd do as you said and buy all new bearings and pivots and start again.

mtbr member
    Don't forget to apply locktite to the bolts going in the conical washers (the first one you undo when you service the pivots).

That was my problem, and recurrent mistake, with my Santa Cruz. Everything seemed tight and fine but without locktite on those bolts, they will just back off by themselves... and after a couple of rides everything becomes loose. A healthy amount of locktite solves the problem pronto.

Good luck!