Thread: pivot grease

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

pivot grease

What kind of pivot grease do you guys use and were can i get some.

Also how easy is it to grease the pivots have a small creak and want to try and get rid of it

Willyt
    Last edited by WillyT; 03-05-2006 at 07:25 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Which Bike

For the Blur, I tend to have uppermost smallest pivot creak allot. I very seldom get creaks anymore since I no longer hose spray. Before, got allot.
    I just spray some finish line dry lube from spray can. Some times requires removing caps and moving out shaft a little. Be sure and re loctite caps on any of the bearings you spray.
    If you don't get water in the pivots you will rarily need to do this stuff.

mtbr member
    First check is the creak came from suspension and not from seat/seat post, stem, and bottom bracket.
    Second the best grease is Rockíníroll super coat, but usually try to put some Teflon spray lube (Finish Line,Ö) after a wet ride or cleaning the bike.
    Third is not difficult to grease the pivots, but the principal is to read the PDF file from Santacruz site and the file is the same for blur, blur XC, LT and 4X (http://www.santacruzbicycles.com/blu...maintainence=1) and have all the tools that is required, and take time do not hurry.

Photog Cyclist.
    For pivot grease on all my full suspension bikes I use Stay-lube boat trailer wheel bearing grease!!!!! It is thick and gooey and water dosen't break it down, try it it will last.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Oh yea, forgot the only problem with spraying even dry lube into the bearings, (of course you wouldn't want to use petro based lube) is breaking down the semi perm 680 retaining compound that holds the bearings in place. You don't want to have any bearing casing movement in the bore, as it might wear the aluminum. Mostly would happen if the bearings actually seize I beleive.
    I don't really have a good answer as to how to not do that. Mainly just don't spray your bike with water and you will seldom get creaks.