mtbr member

Pivot Axle short on new TRc?

Just got my new TRc and saw this...

On my other bikes, the pivot axle is flush. Have you noticed this on any of your SC's? I've already emailed SC a pic as well to get their opinion.

Big Gulps, Alright!
    Normal. My Blur is the same way.

mtbr member
    Looks wrong. Just looked at mine and its flush with the end of the threads.
    what does it look like on the other end of the bolt? Maybe its not in all the way?

mtbr member

Pic for reference.

Pivot Axle short on new TRc?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1360372099.596820.jpg

mtbr member
    The Pivot Axle is snug and the lock nut is also snug...

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Same thing on a BLTc that I had. I asked SC about it and they said it was ok. I didn't have any problems with it for the year I had it. My nomadc's pivots are flush like the 2nd pic shows.

mtbr member
    my BLTc is flush. seems strange but if SC says its ok, i say let it ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I'd press the issue, lack of full thread engagement in a carbon frame would be a concern.
    My '13 TRc axle ends are all flush, full thread engagement. I did notice they are not all the same length, the pivot with issue should have an axle approx 2.75" full length. (measured mine) Maybe when frame was assembled they accidently used a shorter axle from a different pivot point?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Mine is the same way. It's not threaded into carbon. There's a metal insert. Plus that bolt doesn't require alot of torque. I still have the bolt from the black and orange 2012. That was warranteed. Compared it to the 2013. And their identical length.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    My point was partial engagement within the insert. I've seen aluminum axles strip/gall within inserts and threaded inserts break loose within carbon. Installation torque is one thing, radial/axial forces applied during use is completely different. (I'm a ME, sorry)
    To each his own, that wouldn't fly with me, especially on a $$$ frame.

uncertainty principle
    My black/green TRc 1.0 is also the same (looks short). Been riding it for about a year with no problems. Best pics I could get tonight. Post a follow-up if you get a reply from SC but assuming it's normal/ok.

Pivot Axle short on new TRc?-2-9-13-3-002.jpg

Pivot Axle short on new TRc?-2-9-13-3-001.jpg
    Bumper sticker spotted: "If you’re riding a single speed in the woods and no one sees you, is it still cool?"

mtbr member
    May 2012
    i got my 2012 end trc frame full up to the edge...post pic later

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I just got my 2012 TRc frame as well. The axle bolt appears short of flush like flip's and centaurus's pics above. I made a careful measurement and the bolt is 2.74" total length, same as the two axles in the lower link, near the BB.

I'm looking closely at flip's and mestapho's pictures. Is it me or does it look like the carbon molding is different in the two frames? The "bowl" (sorry don't know what else to call it) on Mestapho's frame looks wider and deeper than the one on flip's.

mtbr member

I think it's just the angles and lighting that are making it look that way.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    The white frame has a smaller chamfer than the black frame does, which is just a cosmetic difference so you don't see the unused threads. probably a f*#k up
    here we go again

mtbr member
    SC replied that it was the wrong pivot axle that was sent out and is sending out the correct one.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    ^ Thanks for the follow-up, I've just emailed SC myself.

Edit: Got a prompt reply, they're sending a replacement axle.
    Last edited by lyndonchen; 02-14-2013 at 02:35 PM. Reason: follow-up

uncertainty principle
    I just emailed SC about my pivot axle. Assuming this was a packing mistake and my LBS didn't catch it because they had just started carrying SC bikes...
    Last edited by Centaurus; 02-16-2013 at 07:33 AM.
    Bumper sticker spotted: "If you’re riding a single speed in the woods and no one sees you, is it still cool?"

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I received this email from SC tech support, looks like our frames are ok as is:

Lyndon,

I am now not sending you a bolt.

I was hasty in sending out the first one before I spoke with our head engineer. He assured me that you have the correct bolt, you just have more threads than normal on your swing arm. There was a small batch of frames that came the same way yours did. I know it looks slightly weird but you have just as many threads engaged as those frames without threads showing.
    Thanks,
    Colin Lambing | Sales | Santa Cruz Bicycles
    104 Bronson ST #22, Santa Cruz, CA 95062 | Phone 831-459 7560 x 246 | Santa Cruz Bicycles

uncertainty principle
    ^ Thanks for the update - guess that explains the difference in how some of the pivots look.

I did here back from SC first thing in the morning after I sent in my warranty request that they were sending me a replacement but assuming same case as yours.

[...except the statement about this being the case for "a small batch of frames" doesn't make sense because my frame is a 2012 1.0 (black/green) and one is a 2013 2.0 (white/black)...]
    Last edited by Centaurus; 02-17-2013 at 09:54 AM.

uncertainty principle
    Willie from SC replied "Yep-our head engineers assures us everything is good.."

The only thing that doesn't make sense is the statement from Colin from SC about this being the case for "a small batch of frames" because my frame is a 2012 1.0 (black/green) and one is a 2013 2.0 (white/black)...

Maybe two different molds? Here's a better pic of my 2012 1.0 pivot area for future reference.

Pivot Axle short on new TRc?-dscn4771.jpg