mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Picked up this 06 bullit but has some cracks in paint...good deal??

So I rode an 03 Bullit for years until it got jacked about 7 months ago...Been saving up and searching for another practically that whole time until I stumbled across another that fit my needs and seemed to be a great deal at $875. He says it's an 06. But after looking at it more i've noticed some tiny spiderweb looking cracks around the stem, seat post, and all around the frame really. Can't feel them by running my finger over them and can't really see unless I look really close but it's stressing me out now. This something I should be worried about or just paint cracking from not curing properly? Also, the bottom/rear bracket on this year frame is a lot different than my old one and all together feels lighter and not quite as solid. Are the 06 frames better/worse/just as good as the older ones? Looks like they changed the frame back to the old style on 2010 bullits too, just makes me wonder.. Thanks in advance for any input.
    Picked up this 06 bullit but has some cracks in paint...good deal??-wholebike.jpgPicked up this 06 bullit but has some cracks in paint...good deal??-seatcrack.jpgPicked up this 06 bullit but has some cracks in paint...good deal??-stemcrack.jpg

Slower But Faster
    All materials flex under load and it could be that the paint isn't as flexible as the base metal which would cause the paint to crack while the underlying frame is fine. This was an issue on the white carbon Nomad I believe.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Yeah that makes sense. I did read up on that a little and see that some people had the same issue. Really hoping its just the paint. Would be devastating to have this thing fall apart on me on a downhill section.. $875 sound like a fair deal though? The guy even paid the paypal fee too actually so really like $850. Cane creek headset, iodine carbon bars, elixir 5's, shimano crank, mavic 321's with kenda 2.5 front looks to be new and 2.3 rear, rockshox rc fork and fox van rc coil. Needs new grips and came with clip in pedals which I don't have shoes for an will most likely sell or trade. Lots of scratches but that doesn't matter to me, no dents.

mtbr member
    That's an 08 or newer Bullit.
    He could have purchased it in mid 07 though.
    Cracks look to be spider webbing in the clear coat. If so, nothing to worry about.
    I've seen that happen on new and unridden bikes shortly after pressing in a headset.
    Do you know if you have the 150mm rear end on that bike? Looks like you might.
    What you have is the last generation frame. I think it's the best that Santa Cruz put out.
    Looks like an 08 Rock Shox Domain on the front as well.
    What's cool about the last generation Bullits is that you can run an angleset and slack them out a bit.
    Those frames are WAY BURLY.
    You got a fair deal.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Thanks for the input Norman. Good to know its post 08, the guy I bought it from wasn't really sure just kinda guessed. I'm pretty happy with it so far besides the brakes squealing like crazy on me until I lubed them a bit, which definitely took away from stopping power but better than being annoyed like crazy and they still work fine. Not sure if I have the 150mm either how can I tell? And what do you mean by slacking it out with an angle set? Sorry if I sound ignorant never really knew a whole lot about the mechanics of biking just rode the **** out of whatever I had lol these bullits really are bomb proof though, I beat the hell out of my last one and nothing ever broke on me. Barely any maintanence too. Was really bummed when it got stolen but I'm starting to like this bike just as much, maybe even more once I fully get used to it.