mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Pedalling efficiency - Bronson v Nomad

My wife is looking at getting a new bike, and she's considering something like the Bronson to replace both her Nomad and current xc bike. She loves her Nomad and will ride it everywhere, but the geometry and pedalling efficiency aren't ideal in a race situation. The angles give her a lot of confidence on more technical terrain and she doesn't want to loose this, which is why she has the 2 bikes at present.

From what I understand, the Bronson is almost the 27.5 version of the Nomad, but potentially leans slightly more to the xc side of things. For those who have ridden it, could the Bronson hold its own at the odd xc/endurance event, maybe even with an adjustable fork to lower the front end (would this even be needed?)? Would my wife still have the feeling of confidence while riding the Bronson on steeper/more technical terrain like she does on her Nomad? She said in the past that she'd never sell her Nomad, but if there is a bike that gives her as much confidence going down while also holding its own pedalling wise, she may change her mind. She'd build it up fairly light weight with carbon wheels.

The Solo would be great but wouldn't give her the ride she's looking for on the odd bike park day.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Does she have carbon wheels on her nomad now? I haven't ridden a bronson but if they both had carbon wheels i'm guessing the bronson would only pedal slightly better given all components being equal. Maybe think about just buying the carbon wheels for her nomad that will probably drop a lot of rotational weight which will help pedaling a lot and save money vs a whole bike upgrade.

mtbr member
    Gettin the Bronson as a "one bike" to replace a Nomad and a XC bike is not a good idea. No, the Bronson will not be that good in a XC or endurance race situation. Her XC bike will be way better for that type of thing (I'm assuming of course it is short travel, light weight, etc). She will miss her XC bike if she gets rid of it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Sweet, just what I wanted to know, thanks for that!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I only have one ride on my Bronson, also have a highball and had a blur lt, and a blur xc carbon. The Bronson is a fine climber, the only problem mine is 31lbs. I was telling my friend that if I could afford to build it at sub 27lbs I would possibly use it as an only bike assuming no xc racing was involved.