190lbs of climber

Paging TNC: Bullit Shock Mounting

From some searches I've done, you seem to have a great wealth of information about Bullits. Help me!
    I just picked up an '01 frame, XL, and am going to put a Manitou Swinger 3-way coil on it. It's a 9x2.75, so I will be bolting it in without the shuttle.
    1. Do I need to drill out the mounting hole where the shuttle normally bolts in? If so, what do I need to do?
    2. What size bushings/reducers do I need to order to mount said shock?
    Thanks
    -Menso
    ye' old trailblog: www.most-excellent-adventures.com THE BAY AREA... WHERE IF IT'S FUN, IT'S ILLEGAL

TNC
    noMAD man
    Well, the bad news is that you'll have fun trying to get those spacers from Manitou at the moment...I think. You'll have to use Manitou spacers because they use a different eyelet bushing standard than most everyone else. I know of some guys who have mounted the front of a longer shock like yours there and used the 6mm bolt, but it probably really ought to be 8mm. If you drill out the frame hole to 8mm, I think you can still mount the shuttle later if you go back to a shorter shock by drilling out the shuttle to 8mm. There appears to be enough material in the shuttle for this.

If you drill out the frame to 8mm you'll need 22mm X 8mm spacers...22mm X 6mm spacers if you retain the front 6mm bolt. The rear is 41mm X 8mm.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I run a frame mounted shock on my 01'. I slid the shuttle into the frame bracket and made small bushings for the 8mm shuttle holes then ran the rearward 6mm bolt thru the hole & shock eyelet.

190lbs of climber
    Thanks for the info. I think I'm going to try to mount with a 6mm. I assume that it will be a little flexier with the smaller bolt, but I'm not "super gnar-core", so I think it will be fine.
    ye' old trailblog: www.most-excellent-adventures.com THE BAY AREA... WHERE IF IT'S FUN, IT'S ILLEGAL

Members who have read this thread: 0