Deadhead
    Mar 2004

Paging Heckler DHX 5 owners

Just got my Heckler and have been playing with shock settings. Looking for some info on how the rest of you are setting up the DHX; rider weight, spring weight, boost valve pressure, etc. I'm about 200lb with gear and ride on the agressive side and will be running a Z1 Light on it in about another week. Thanks.
    "If you can get both wheels sliding with no brakes, that's when you really know that you're cookin." Nathan Rennie

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    well I have a bullit with a DHX so that should get you started, I am still fine tuning but this is how i rode it today and it felt pritty good.

riding style: fast and hard freeride
    weight: 215
    coil: 600lbs
    boost: 150
    bottom out: 1.5 turns from full out
    pro pedal: 4 ret from fully off
    rebound: to taste

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I have been on a DHX/heckler combo for alittle over a year now, here our my preferred settings. I do only weigh 175lbs though so you will def need a stiffer spring

spring: 350lb 3 turns preload
    propedal: 4 turns out from full hard
    boost pressure: 180psi
    boost thread-in: 1/2 way in
    rebound is personal but it is always about in the middle

this for my weight and aggressive style gives a good platform for pedaling while still not bottoming on jumps. the heckler is a falling rate so you will see higher thn normal boost pressures. i am almost on the edge of needing a 400lb spring when i get freeridn. id look into a 500 or 550 maybe? add 50lbs to what ever SC tells you. goodluck!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    ^Yeah, i had to add 100lbs to what SC said my coil weight should be to get the correct amount of sag. So, get that dialed in first then you can start with the rest of the shock.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Me: 170 lbs + 10-20lbs in gear

Bike: 2004 Heckler w/DHX 5.0, RS Pike U-Turn Team w/PopLoc
    Usage: trailbike/all-mountain (w/trailbike wheelset & tires), or all-mountain/light freeride (w/DH wheelset & tires)

Trailbike/all-mountain tune:

Spring: 400lbs/in, no preload
    Bottom-out adjustment knob: 1.5 rotations in from fully backed out (this is past the halfway mark)
    Boost valve: 150psi
    Rebound knob: 4 clicks slower from full fast
    ProPedal: 4 clicks stronger from full weak

Comments: this is currently what I would call a control setup. This provides good chassis control for rolling down rock staircases by resisting both stinkbugging and squatting, which of course assists in preventing fork wallowing. Overall shock behaviour is more controlled and less "Cadillac plush". Small-impact sensitivity is a little sacrificed to this end, but it is still more than acceptable. It pedals efficiently (but of course this is easily achieved in any DHX setup with a spin of the ProPedal knob).

FYI:
    * It takes a bit of time for a new spring to set. Don't judge a spring rate until this has occured.
    * The ability to reduce felt impact energy and control the motion of the chassis/unsprung mass (you) are important issues in suspension tuning, but suspension balance is very important in determining the handling characteristics of the bike. Chances are that a good overall tune for your DHX will be highly dependent on the characteristics of your fork.
    Last edited by DtEW; 02-13-2006 at 01:38 AM.

Deadhead
    Mar 2004
    Thanks for the input. My shock came with a 400lb spring and I get the correct sag with about a turn and a half of preload. I also think that the cold weather I'm riding in right now is affecting boost valve pressure and the associated bottom out adjustment. Once it warms up and I tinker some more I should be good to go. Maybe even swap the 400 for a 450.
    "If you can get both wheels sliding with no brakes, that's when you really know that you're cookin." Nathan Rennie