mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Options for future Bronson, or possibly a solo (5010)

So after a lot of digging into the whole 5010 (SOLO) and Bronson debates, riding both at a demo day (demo day location was lame though) and talking to several people Iím still stuck on the decision....I did start another thread but it got sidetracked on a whole yeti vs solo/bronson debate.

Iíve read most of the threads on online and itís hard to tell what terrain someone rides and what they consider a Bronson ďtoo beefyĒ for. I could see someone not near either the Rockies or the Smokey Mountains definitely not wanting something like a Bronson due to not many gravity runs. I would probably say the Bronson is a little overkill for some trails I run but seems to be more of an all-in-one bike..

Iíve seen where people are trying to get a bike in between the Solo and the Bronson by putting a 34/140mm fork on the solo, which in turn rakes out the front end by about 1deg also tilting the whole bike back by a degree because of the 1Ē taller A/C of the 34 fork. I just donít see what the real advantage is of doing this is since both bikes will have about the same HA, weight is very similar, and the few other differences in the stock frame geometry. Why not just extend the front fork out to 140mm and just run with it... Those who have put a pike on it but reduced to a 140mm how does it ride vs the bronson because the front ends should be similar?

My riding consists of afternoon rides of local places close to my house, 8-14 miles after work and maybe 14-30 miles some weekends, no racing atm. Iím on the East coast in South East Tennessee (Chattanooga, Tn) and try to ride aggressively especially downhill (as much as my legs allow lol). My buddy rides an Aluminum Yeti ASR-5/120mm fork and wishes he had more travel. We are both wondering when he will snap that thing in half with his warp speeds going downhill... Where I ride there are no lifts or downhill specific trails but there are some within a couple hrs drive at some smaller ski resorts. Normally, what you go down you must first come up or come back up at some point. I would say climbing vs downhill is close to 50/50. With quite a bit of flow/pump trails almost, a lot of rocks, roots, some smooth trails but a lot of roots in the trails since 100% of our trails are in the woods....

The plan was to build a C Bronson with a 150 Pike, 30T XX1/XO1 drivetrain, XT brakes, Stealth Dropper, I9 enduro wheels, carbon bars and other odds and ends. I and 6-3 and weigh 220 out of the shower so I was hoping that the enduro wheels were slightly better than the I-9 trail wheels. Hoping to a HD build coming in around 26-27lb range. This bike I can get a good/great deal compared to the factory SC XO1 or XX builds...

I would be stuck on the front fork if I were to get a solo. Since Iím not sure about putting a bike on the front of the solo but would really like to have a lighter build and like the 1x11 setup.. Most of the guys around here like the solo it seems. How much better is the reverb fork over the 2014 fox fork?

I just need to be talked into one or the other ... During my demo day rides, I didnít notice a big difference between the two other than the HA and slightly plusher suspension of the Bronson. Seems to be a tossup...

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Bronson all the way! Based on your area, sounds like you'd be limiting yourself with the 5010. Less travel/ Lower BB.....

mtbr member
    The Bronson pedals very well. I climb 3000-5000 ft and it does fine. Don't limit yourself in the downhill and fun factor thinking the Bronson won't pedal.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I rode both at the demo day and unfortunately the place they chose is honestly all XC. Good place for beginner riders to learn at. Nothing technical though or any decent downhill runs other than a few lame short ones.

I didnít notice a big difference in pedaling the solo or the bronson uphill or anywhere, granted the bronson had the enve wheels and the solo had the factory XT package wheels... Nothing that made me say dang, the bronson sucks going uphill. The only thing I did see was the bronson when locked out bobbed ever so slightly. But I think that was because I was on an XL and that shock has probably been put through its paces with bigger guys riding it...

I wish I had some more extreme trails though. The BB height is an advantage though because on the loaner 29er Iíve been riding recently itís constantly hitting rocks unless I watch out all the time for them.. Football/soccer ball size rocks on the trails or on the side to weave in and out are not uncommon for out trails..

I think replacing the huge stock bronson Maxxis tires and running some I9ís will help a lot...

mtbr member
    What will replacing the tires do? I thought you said there was no difference in pedaling between the Bronson and 5010?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    You are comparing apples and oranges. They both are fruit, delicious, and good for you. You can't go wrong either way. I ride the TBC. Recently spent several days in Moab on the SoloC. I could happily ride either. The Solo rocked Moab but I still love my TB. I havent ridden the Bronson, but you said you're 6'3", 220. Just get the beefier bike, the Bronson, and be thrilled with it. The way you wrote your post, I think if you got the Solo, you would always be wondering whether the Bronson would have been more fun. (Really, at your size, I would say TBLTC. Maybe your trails are too tight for a 29er, but that bike rolls over anything.). So, my opinion is worth what you paid for it, but I think your gut is telling you Bronson and you should go with it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jmallory View Post
    What will replacing the tires do? I thought you said there was no difference in pedaling between the Bronson and 5010?
    I didn't notice a big difference. I'm just saying I think those people who test the Bronson out might find more rolling resistance from the hi rollers Maxxis.. I planned to put some Nobby Nics on there or something. A more XC oriented tire than the Hi Roller....
    Quote Originally Posted by KMalo View Post
    You are comparing apples and oranges. They both are fruit, delicious, and good for you. You can't go wrong either way. I ride the TBC. Recently spent several days in Moab on the SoloC. I could happily ride either. The Solo rocked Moab but I still love my TB. I havent ridden the Bronson, but you said you're 6'3", 220. Just get the beefier bike, the Bronson, and be thrilled with it. The way you wrote your post, I think if you got the Solo, you would always be wondering whether the Bronson would have been more fun. (Really, at your size, I would say TBLTC. Maybe your trails are too tight for a 29er, but that bike rolls over anything.). So, my opinion is worth what you paid for it, but I think your gut is telling you Bronson and you should go with it.
    I am currently on a Trek Hifi 29er (loaner) and came from a Yeti ASR-5 (large). I'm not fond of the 29er wheel size for my riding style. I like to have a lighter front end feeling and be able to throw it around etc. The 26er was nice but after riding the 29er for about 150 miles, I love the extra rolling it provides and how much smoother the rocks are and rough spots. I rented a solo from a local bike shop and rode 27 miles (xt build with I-9's) and fell in love with the 27.5 wheels. To me it provides the best of both worlds.
    I was talked into the bronson but it seems like a majority of the people around here think the solo is better but not really anyone has spent much time on the bronson or is my size.
    I definitely don't want to get an expensive bike and regret it two weeks later... But I really don't think I will regret either solo or bronson..

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I was at that demo day at Enterprise south with my brother. We both decided to buy TBLTCs. My brothers TBLTC came in Friday. Mine will be here in a week. His is an xl mine is an xxl. We ride around the ocoee 90% of the time. You're welcome come ride with us sometime to give em a ride on more advanced terrain. Heck we could shuttle up and bomb down thunder rock a few times. If you wanna try small wheels you could ride my all coil Heckler. He's 6'2 I'm 6'6 so you'd be right in between size wise on the tallboy LTs.

I didn't even test ride the Bronson. As big as I am I look silly on smaller wheels.

mtbr member
    I doubt you will regret the Bronson by ultimately it's a choice you have to make. The Bronson is a burly bike that will handle quite a bit but don't think it doesn't pedal. People seem to think the Bronson is a tank that likes lift served days. I think it's the perfect trail bike for long days of up and down. If I was going to a bike park, I would leave the Bronson at home and use a true DH bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Jab70 View Post
    I was at that demo day at Enterprise south with my brother. We both decided to buy TBLTCs. My brothers TBLTC came in Friday. Mine will be here in a week. His is an xl mine is an xxl. We ride around the ocoee 90% of the time. You're welcome come ride with us sometime to give em a ride on more advanced terrain. Heck we could shuttle up and bomb down thunder rock a few times. If you wanna try small wheels you could ride my all coil Heckler. He's 6'2 I'm 6'6 so you'd be right in between size wise on the tallboy LTs.

I didn't even test ride the Bronson. As big as I am I look silly on smaller wheels.
    I will have to send you a PM. We just rode 17 miles and close to 8 of those were on some hiking trails.. Pretty cool.. Rode out some trail called benton mackaye trail. Apparently it's 290 miles long... I would still be riding if it we had tried to do the whole thing... They do a race on it also, goes way down into Ga..

I didn't try the TBLTC at the demo day since I really like the 27.5 wheels.. Would have been much better do to the demo day somewhere like white oak or somewhere like that.. A lot better trails than VW. (I'm from cleveland btw)

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I live in copper hill. We bought our bikes from Charles at Trailhead.

Creepy tooth fairy

Bronson all the way for East TN...

...the only caveat being would be if you only rode Enterprise. Then eff it and buy a Highball. Otherwise, for Racoon, Ocoee, etc. get the Bronson and definitely put a Pike on it.
    the going won't get good 'til I'm good and gone

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Ya, I don't ride VW unless it's with the wife who is bike less at the moment. I normally stick to White Oak during the week and Ocoee or Racoon during the weekends.

Ha, the wife ain't going to like the credit card statement this month..

mtbr member
    I live in Nashville and am having the same dilemma, Bronson or 5010(solo). Local LBS said 5010, but what would I really be giving up if I got the Bronson? I mean, it will only allow me to do more in the future right?

I come down to Racoon MTN all the time man, love those trails.

Should I get the Bronson C or the Bronson A, or am I just wrong and should go with the 5010?

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I have made up my mind I'm getting the bronson. If I were to get the solo I'd raise the front fork to 140mm and almost be in the "bronson suspension territory".... Racoon has some pretty gnarly rocky trails, chunky has some stuff the Bronson would eat up also..

I'm not sure what kind of riding you do in Nashville but when I rode both they really didn't differ greatly. Only a small difference which I mentioned above. The solo was ever so slightly poppier and stiffer suspension and the bronson was slightly slacker and felt the same going up hills. Downhill you could tell where dinner was hanging..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by idsmokeu2 View Post
    I have made up my mind I'm getting the bronson. If I were to get the solo I'd raise the front fork to 140mm and almost be in the "bronson suspension territory".... Racoon has some pretty gnarly rocky trails, chunky has some stuff the Bronson would eat up also..

I'm not sure what kind of riding you do in Nashville but when I rode both they really didn't differ greatly. Only a small difference which I mentioned above. The solo was ever so slightly poppier and stiffer suspension and the bronson was slightly slacker and felt the same going up hills. Downhill you could tell where dinner was hanging..
    I think I am going to go with the Bronson too, or else Ill always have the grass is greener syndrome. Seems like a good all around bike, I have my Airborne seeker 29r for more XC oriented trails I guess...

Are you going with the Bronson C tennis Ball?

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocke View Post
    I think I am going to go with the Bronson too, or else Ill always have the grass is greener syndrome. Seems like a good all around bike, I have my Airborne seeker 29r for more XC oriented trails I guess...

Are you going with the Bronson C tennis Ball?
    I was not going to until recently... I think I like the yellow better than the matt grey/black... really would like an orange bronson to match my KTM race bike but it does not look like that will happen.. ...

I will do the yellow/black scheme.. (murdered out look)

mtbr member
    May 2013

Wise choice I think! Especially if you ever travel with the bike! You never know what type of terrain you might come across, wishing you'd have gotten more travel. When its there, it's nice to have....even if it is overkill on some trails.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I've always been told 6" is better than 5" ...............................

Bronson is on order...

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Nice dude! What color?

mtbr member
    Bronson is on order...
    I think you will be very pleased with it
    Ridin' & Diggin'

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Auzy View Post