mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Opinions on 2013 Blur LT vs 2014 Heckler for a Clydesdale

I got pointed to the Heckler being a good bike for my 250 lbs frame and the 2014 looks rad. I understand the differences in the suspension and the future maintenance needs of both.

But with my body weight/leverage ratio and comparative price being the operative things to lead to a decision.The frame/shock on a 2013 Blur LT is $900 while the 2014 Heckler is $1250 I think.

Is the Blur LT as capable in supporting someone of my size in both respect to the sturdiness of the frame and not needing to push 300psi on the air shock; from my understanding the Heckler shouldn't have any problem doing so.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    cant go wrong with a heckler. im 300# running coil front and rear on my 2005. its built heavy duty... weighs 37.5. feels SWEET on the downhill techy stuff. i just sit and spin up the hills slowly.
    im going tallboy ltc for the xxl sizing soon but ill never sell my heckler!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I have a 2012 Blur LTa in XL (has tapered head tube and ISCG05 tabs, does not have 142x12 rear) and weigh over 240lbs kitted up. No issues in the 2 full summers I've been riding it. Bike weighs about 31-32 lbs, including a dropper post and pedals and 2.4 tires.

Used to run about 210psi in the RP23, but recently got it PUSHed and now its just a tad over 200psi. And in the 150mm Rev Dual Air, between 140-145 positive and 135-140 negative. Though I really want the new Pike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I'm floating between 6-1 and 6-2 depending on the size of the moon, it looks like the Large Blur would probably be a better fit than the XL for me. Sound rightish?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I'm just a tad over 6' and have the XL. I demo'd a L (though I think it had a really short stem) and just could never find a good balance point for going downhill. Later demo'd a XL and it was a much better fit.

Mine originally came with a 70mm stem and now has a 50mm stem, also went from 680mm to 720mm bars with the stem switch.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Schwazilla View Post
    I'm floating between 6-1 and 6-2 depending on the size of the moon, it looks like the Large Blur would probably be a better fit than the XL for me. Sound rightish?
    You should definitely consider the XL. Try both.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by hillharman View Post
    You should definitely consider the XL. Try both.
    Yeah, I think there is s SC dealer next to my work. Hard part is that I doubt I can get a test ride on anything more than pavement.

Thanks for the confirmation.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Yeah, I think there is s SC dealer next to my work. Hard part is that I doubt I can get a test ride on anything more than pavement.

Thanks for the confirmation.
    Keep in mind that you'll want to run a short stem, more than likely. The stock configuration may have a pretty long stem on it.

mtbr member
    The Heckler is $550 directly from Santa Cruz atm too. Its a beast of a frame that can handle anything and is coil-ready if you want to go that direction.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by riiz View Post
    The Heckler is $550 directly from Santa Cruz atm too. Its a beast of a frame that can handle anything and is coil-ready if you want to go that direction.
    I have been thinking about that also. But the new 650b Heckler is pretty tempting. The price is a little on the steep side but not terribly bad for my slow build budget. But I've been hearing good things about the 650b conversion for both 6.X Hecklers and 2.X blurs.

Ow!
    I was 270lbs when I bought my Blur LTc. No problem with my weight. If you are building up from the frame, then the LTa from the frame sale seems great. I think they have L and XL. If willing to put $1250 on a heckler, why not $1500 on a Blur LTc? Plenty strong and stiff (maybe stronger and stiffer than the Heckler). I put a 160mm fork on my to make it my do-it-all bike. The best frame I have ever ridden. And I think the sale bikes have the 142mm rear (if that is important to you). May be no XLs though.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I'm not too concerned with bike weight and I know carbon has come a long way in the last 10 years but there is just something about it that worries me as a bigger rider. Maybe its completely unfounded though.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Yeah, I think most people realize that carbon is very strong when designed to be, but what happens when the top tube hits a rock in a crash? You can catastrophically damage the frame without significant visual damage. How deep of a cut is too deep? I have my doubts about the use of carbon on a mountain bike that sees it's share of impacts on unintended objects in unintended ways. Somebody will point out the video of the Niner fork that they hammer away on, but they don't show anybody riding the fork after that...

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainbiker24 View Post
    Somebody will point out the video of the Niner fork that they hammer away on, but they don't show anybody riding the fork after that...
    Are you saying that you would ride the steel fork after the test?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainbiker24 View Post
    Blah blah...what happens when the top tube hits a rock in a crash? Blah blah...
    This isn't meant to be snarky...but don't take mine or anyone else's word on this, considering how brittle aluminum alloys are to achieve the weight/stiffness demanded by bikes, you might seriously consider re-calibrating your thinking on which material will be damaged worse in identical situations... Specifically in the case of the Blur LTc, lab testing (to failure IIRC) shows it exceeds the strength of an aluminum V10. Yes, I did say lab testing.

But here's a mental exercise:
    Visualize cutting 50% thru the top tube of an aluminum and carbon Nomad, at roughly the same location, and then riding the bike. The carbon tube's ultimate strength is ~2x that of the aluminum...which one would you feel safer on?

So your alloy frame will look prettier over the long haul, but that's because alloy will tolerate small scratches a lot better than carbon, simply because the ano layer is harder than resin and is harder to scratch...btw, you can repair cosmetic resin damage really easily. But on big impacts...ultimate strength wins every time. Plus, carbon simply doesn't fatigue (now that they've resolve the resin degradation due to UV)...you can cycle a carbon sample as many times as when the alloy one gives up the ghost, and the carbon will still keep its same ultimate failure level. This is why I'm going to move all my bars to carbon...saving up for the Easton Havoc 35 to go on my DH bike. I've seen one too many catastrophic fatigue failure w/ alloy bars (and the resulting broken collar bone).
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I think you should have paid a little more attention to the "blah blah". In that "blah blah", I said that you can't always identify when carbon has lost its integrity. You may dent aluminum on a rock, but at least you'll know when it's time to replace it. There is a difference between impact strength and bending strength. Sure, a carbon component can be much stronger than aluminum for it's intended purpose, but impact resistance isn't one of carbon's "strengths". You've seen a lot of aluminum handlebars fail. Congratulations. Aluminum bars have been much more popular than carbon bars, so of course there will be more failures. Carbon fails, as well. Also, carbon frames and components will indeed fatigue with use. The resins, impacts, clamps, and bonding agents will all wear out over time. By all means, ride your carbon components for the next 20 years and let me know how that goes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by kan3 View Post
    Are you saying that you would ride the steel fork after the test?
    Nope. At least the dents would indicate that it was time for a new fork. That carbon fork won't show internal failures.

Ow!
    I'm not too concerned with bike weight and I know carbon has come a long way in the last 10 years but there is just something about it that worries me as a bigger rider. Maybe its completely unfounded though.
    Yeah, unfounded if basing it on that you are a bigger rider (weight wise). I have no reservations for taking mine out that may result if damage--to me that is.

But get a alum BLT. It will be loads of fun.