mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Opinion on 2002 Super 8....

Found a 2002 super 8 frame for $200, think it is worth the price? Im just looking to do a "lower budget build" for a second bike to have and I like the looks of the older Super 8, let me know if you think that is a decent rice for the frame, thanks...

cbc
    Bullit Rider
    Apr 2006
    Make sure all the parts are there! Having the rear wheel will be a bonus, Hadley doesn't make the hub anymore & it's quite difficult to find those wheels... as I have found out...

Other than that, as long as it's in good shape, I'd go for it myself, as I'm a Super 8 fan

It is heavy. And, it works best with a large chainring. Check for cracks in the swingarm, make sure the shock has the bushings, and other then that, I can't think of anything right now.

Good luck on your decision!
    Clay

TNC
    noMAD man
    Yes, we know SC doesn't use a strict year model designation for their bikes, but was there a 2002 S8? I thought the last one was about '99 or '00.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Says it is an 01 or 02, and it does have the wheelset with it

old school no.9
    Quote Originally Posted by cbc
    Make sure all the parts are there! Having the rear wheel will be a bonus, Hadley doesn't make the hub anymore & it's quite difficult to find those wheels... as I have found out...
    I just recently noticed that CRC has those Super 8 rear hubs in stock. Eventhought desciption says it's for V10, the measures 160x14mm are hub of the Super 8.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=59232
    I love the smell of the TF2 chain lube in the morning.

old school no.9
    Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    Yes, we know SC doesn't use a strict year model designation for their bikes, but was there a 2002 S8? I thought the last one was about '99 or '00.
    Last Super 8's were built/sold along side the first V10's at '02. When I ordered my 2002.5 Bullit in summer '02, there was only couple of Super 8's left from the last patch at Santa Cruz stock...could have get orange one, but ended up ordering Bullit instead
    I love the smell of the TF2 chain lube in the morning.

TNC
    noMAD man
    Quote Originally Posted by miqu
    Last Super 8's were built/sold along side the first V10's at '02. When I ordered my 2002.5 Bullit in summer '02, there was only couple of Super 8's left from the last patch at Santa Cruz stock...could have get orange one, but ended up ordering Bullit instead
    Yes, I know what you mean, but I don't think any were made after 2000. I bought a '99 Bullit through the shop and then later bought a 2003 Bullit. The order guy told me they still had a couple of S8's, but apparently the Bullit kind of killed the popularity of the S8. It's not at all important, of course, but an interesting trivia point in SC history.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Well I offered the guy $150 and he sure, emailed him back for when to meet up and I haven't heard back from him... gotta love craigslist haha

cbc
    Bullit Rider
    Apr 2006
    Personally owning both a Super 8 and a Bullit... I love both. The Super 8 handles better I feel, but the Bullit is easier to climb on

Hopefully you hear back from the dude!

Clay