mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Old School Santa Cruz Heckler

Hey guys I'm new to the forum and looking for some advice.

I've had my Heckler for about 13 years and still love it to bits.

However I'm looking to upgrade some components and wondered where would be a good place to start?

All the chain and drive shift mechanisms are in good condition and so I am not looking to replace these.

I'm really a weekend rider and as I have other hobbies I am looking to do this within a reasonable budget if you know what I mean.

I'm a total newbie when it comes to bike parts and repair so I took it to my local bike shop yesterday to have the front derailleur set up properly and while he was doing this the guy said that the back end has gone and needs a new wheel bearing. I wasn't too sure what he meant so did some research and I think he may mean the bottom bracket (I've put an arrow on the picture)? Any ideas where I can get a part for this and how it needs to be installed (I'd like to start learning how to maintain and fit new parts to the bike myself)?

In terms of upgrades I'd like to get an air suspension part for the rear suspension - which ones would fit and what do you recommend?

As I'm starting to take mountain biking more seriously I want to go clip less. I've taken a photo of my current pedals - can these be converted so I can clip in? The look similar to the Shimano SPD M324 ones but don't have the middle bit in which the shoes clip onto - can this be purchased separately?

Thanks in advance
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Old School Santa Cruz Heckler-wp_000070-1-.jpg  

Old School Santa Cruz Heckler-wp_000071.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    The arrow is pointing to your suspension pivot. The only thing replaceable in there is a bushing.

The bottom bracket is where your cranks rotate in the body of the frame and connect to the chainrings.

If he said "the back end has gone and needs a new bearing" that means that the rear wheel's hub needs to have its bearings repacked. You can do it yourself but by the time you're done buying the tools and learning how you're probably better off having the shop do it.

As for the pedals, unfortunately you'll need to buy completely new pedals (and I would do it anyway). If you want something with platforms that you can also clip into, the PD-M324 (Shimano PD-M324 Pedals > Components > Pedals, Cleats, Toe Clips, Straps > Pedals | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop) may be a good choice for you because it has a platform on one side and clip on the other, and it can be had for only about $50.

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Thanks for the response.

I will order some of those pedals.

He actually pointed to the suspension pivot point and said the bearing needs replacing. He basically just pressed down on the seat - what was noticeable for him to make this comment? He didn't explain it very well.

Any ideas on how to replace it or get a part from?

Do you know what rear suspension would fit this model?

Also the front forks are Rock Shox Judy XC - they have two holes for brake disc mounting - would it be easy to convert the front to a hydraulic brake disc system?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    At this point I'd have the shop work on it - sounds like you're not terribly well versed in this stuff and suspension pivot maintenance is not something you want to do wrong. Ask if you can sit in on the repairs and learn how to do it yourself for next time maybe.

For the record, though, yes, you can order replacement bushings and pivot parts from Santa Cruz.

As for mounting brakes, it's certainly doable, but if you haven't installed them before you might be in over your head. They're relatively intricate systems. The mental pain you'll save having a shop would be worth it, imo. Again, ask if you can sit in.

mtbr member
    Your bike has V brakes - keep them! Discs are better but in your situation you would need new wheel with rotor mount and the expense is not worth the return.

The mechanic probably noticed some play or clicking on cycling the suspension but I think that same symptom can come from rear shock bushing. If you replace the rear shock and bushing this might fix it. A decent rear shock can be picked up on the web/eBay for under $200. You measure eye to eye and off the top of my head think that may be 6.5" or about 200mm but you need the exact measurement.

My advice, if you really like the bike, replace rear shock and get new brake/shifter cables and maybe some new tires and that Heckler will rock! At the time your bike was and is a very competent all round MTB.

Singletrack Slacker
    The rear suspension actually has a cartridge bearing, not just bushings. They are easily replaced, just a pinch bolt to loosen and they pop right out. I had a 98 heckler that i loved, awesome ride. I took out the bearings and took them down to a local bearing supply. They said the OE bearings were junk and gave me something they claimed were 10x better, $10 and lasted another 5yrs.
    I need to ride moooore

mtbr member

Old School Santa Cruz Heckler

I believe the rear shock length is 7 7/8" with a 2" stroke. Should be plenty available.
    --Reamer

SC Tallboy LTc
    Ventana ECDM 26
    ventana el Ciclon
    Litespeed Classic
    Seven Ti Axion Tandem
    1989 Stumpjumper

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I'm actually looking to buy a 2000 heckler - call it nostalgia from my college days. What do you guys figure a 2000 heckler mid range spec is worth these days?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gringopapo View Post
    I'm actually looking to buy a 2000 heckler - call it nostalgia from my college days. What do you guys figure a 2000 heckler mid range spec is worth these days?
    depends on condition/parts, but a couple hundred bucks if you can find one.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

old school heckler

Since I chimed in about buying an old 2000 heckler I thought I'd followup. I found an XL dark blue 2000 heckler here local. Here's the specs:
    Front shock-marzocchi bomber flylight 100
    rear shock-fox float rc
    Headset-chris king
    wheels-bontrager maverick
    Hubs-shimano deore lx
    crank shimano deore lx hollowtech
    Front derailleur-sram 9.0
    rear derailleur-sram 9.0
    grip shift shifters/brake levers-sram 9.0
    brake calipers-avid arch rival 40
    saddle-bontrager

Its pretty worn out and I had to adjust the stem and seat position (the guy who owned this previously must have been about 6'7" with everything in his torso). I picked it up for $200.

Ahhhhh... nostalgiaOld School Santa Cruz Heckler-wp_000279.jpg

Quiet Professional

Re: Old School Santa Cruz Heckler

Congrats. I know how you feel on the nostalgia part. I am looking for a 2003 giant ac2.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Rubber Side Usually Down
    Quote Originally Posted by gringopapo View Post
    Its pretty worn out and I had to adjust the stem and seat position (the guy who owned this previously must have been about 6'7" with everything in his torso). I picked it up for $200.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_000279.jpg 
Views:	310 
Size:	169.1 KB 
ID:	794452
    Phwoar, bargain, great deal.....

That high altitude stem and seatpost looks wack, he must have left MTB'ing for basketball.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    'Geez, I wish I had a witty signature'

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Hey this is my first time posting, I have used this forum for countless mountain bike wisdom over the past year or so. Right now I have a piece of dump bike, it's done well but I'm ready to get deeper into this sport. I am looking and an older heckler, Im not sure what year it is and I was wondering if you guys could give me a clue.Old School Santa Cruz Heckler-3ea3l63nc5e65f55m4d6363e8ca33ae861abe.jpg

Rubber Side Usually Down
    Quote Originally Posted by Vdubbus View Post
    I am looking and an older heckler, Im not sure what year it is and I was wondering if you guys could give me a clue.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3Ea3L63Nc5E65F55M4d6363e8ca33ae861abe.jpg 
Views:	314 
Size:	39.1 KB 
ID:	808167
    Looks to be about a 2001 or 2002 model in Large size. The swingarm is the rising rate one that this came shortly after the one in the link below which is similar to the same vintage as mine.

Santa Cruz 2000 Heckler X Full Suspension Bike Reviews

My Big Blue with bonus cat that is also into bike pr0n.

The rear shock looks like a Fox Float. You can fit any shock in there as long as it is 200mm eye-to-eye in length. I've had a Fox Vanilla, Fox Alps, Fox AVA and not a Fox RP23. The flexibility for shock swappage great.

You'll love riding that one
    ----------------------------------------------------
    'Geez, I wish I had a witty signature'