mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Not so Solo ride - long story

It was a Solo ride, but I wasn't riding solo....

I and a few friends went for a biking trip in New Zealand a few days ago. We went to Nelson in the South Island. Nelson has a very healthy mtbing thing going on and their little secret is getting out. They have some really great trails. The place is surrounded by mountains and they are peppered with single track.

Weíd heard that the Heaphy track was closing after a trial period for submission on mtb use. So we were off to ride it, just in case it gets closed. Itís an 80km ride in wilderness, although you can stay at some conservation huts to overnight it. It is not recommended to ride it in one day because the weather can close you out. It rains a lot on the range.

Some have ridden it in one day, but it takes a good 8 hours because itís not all easy miles and they shouldnít ride it in one because you arenít allowed to ride it at night for the protection of a couple of nocturnal animals in the park. And as you can only ride it in winter and the start of spring, there isnít 8 hours of daylight available.

Where is Heaphy Ė the top left hand corner of the NZ south island. Start inland, head west and ride over the range and back down to the beach. Highest elevation is 915m, but there are drops and climbs along the way, before dropping back down to sea level.

Solo ready at the start of the Heaphy track. The Solo nails the trail bike riding genre.

A steady 17.5km climb up to the highest point. Even with the weight on the back, the 140mm Pike up front didnít trouble me. It was crap to brake into corners on the downs at first. Just getting the weight transfer to come over the front so as you can apply maximum braking. I ended up taking out 10psi on the fork to try and get better weight transfer for braking. Oneís braking transition is extended.

Not so Solo ride - long story-start.jpg

After 17.5ks for climbing, we got to the summit, 915m.

Not so Solo ride - long story-top-1.jpg

Not so Solo ride - long story-top-2.jpg

Sorry, not too many actual trail pictures, too busy riding them to stop and shoot. There are some great sections and some great downs, but obviously we weren't stopping for these. So here's more story....

Then you get some down action from here. And along the flat of the saddle, a couple of small climbs a few creek crossings. One section of the saddle is very exposed. There's a strong wind blowing here - you can see the windswept trees - oh, it is very cool temp wise. There's a very nice down section from here to a creek. One of our riders lost his sleeping bag off his rack - that was before we even got a little gnarly.
    I guess it proves one thing, itís always better riding with a group of mates, if not yourself, someone will provide great entertainment.
    You can see the trail near a stunted tree on the far left of frame. (that's where we are headed, down and around to right and outa sight)

Not so Solo ride - long story-saddle-1.jpg

See trail in background to right side corner here (back there is where we have come from)

Not so Solo ride - long story-saddle-2.jpg

Then there is one more bastard heart breaker climb up to the hut - Saxon Hut

Not so Solo ride - long story-saxon-hut.jpg

Mate's bike on veranda, mine just visible in background ( a wee peak of rescue orange). We all pulled out our cans of beer and had a drink. Yep, we dragged some celebrations up the hill with us. You should have seen the other punters staying there looking wistfully at our lucky ales...

No power in hut, but gas and a couple of pots. I woke up early in the morning, raining, cold. Put on shoes and wet for a piss. Came back inside, and a joker was looking for his shoes - turns out I went for a piss in another man's shoes. Oh well... my turn to provide the entertainment.
    Raining, cold, 1 degree
    Prepping for a wet and cold ride Ė this is why they made it available in rescue orange...

Not so Solo ride - long story-morning-saxon-hut.jpg

And this is in front of us

Not so Solo ride - long story-morning-ride.jpg

There was a down section at the start. It was pretty funny. It was flowy and getting faster, then it came to a sharp turn. I hadnít touched my brakes, but was closing in on the back wheel of my mate, we were both going faster and faster, getting some early morning stoke on and shaking off the misery of cold and wet. Sharp corner looms, grabbed the brakes and whoa! The brakes were super cold from being outside and the bike had extra kilos. Squeeze harder on the handle, and an instant later the brakes warm up and you slow up - just in time. A little diary note for cold weather travellers Ė a couple of brake feathers to warm up are good before the hairpin.

There's a 150-200m climb up to Mackay hut from Saxon, then it's down all the way. Actually the ride between these huts is a good 16ks, it was great. Some really challenging technical sections. Rocks, roots, wash outs inter-dispersed with some great smooth sections. The Solo just hummed through this stuff

View on the way down

Not so Solo ride - long story-view-way-down.jpg

3 dudes on the trail. I have 4 layers on.

Not so Solo ride - long story-3-dudes-trail.jpg

Some of the trail - magic all the way down. From time to time some great natural features, drop ins over logs, root balls, natural berms, dips and fun. A few G outs etc. This sort of stuff a Solo dominates, twisting and jinking, invented lines and generally holding incredible rolling pace.

Not so Solo ride - long story-trail.jpg

Nearly to the bottom

Not so Solo ride - long story-getting-close-bottom.jpg

After Lewis, it is a great forest single track ride in some flat areas. A few 50-100m hills, that you climb and race down to. Some of the best single track though, and these massive trees in there - like 10-15m thick trunks. Impressive scenery, breath taking.

Then onto Heaphy Hut - a new hut has been built. Sleeps about 24 I think.
    Yes, and under the veranda that is Whale ribs, and back bone...

Not so Solo ride - long story-heaphy-hut.jpg

The view from the hut

Not so Solo ride - long story-heaphy-beach.jpg

Phew made it. No, another 20+ks to go

Check the map out, you go 20ks or so down the coast line, right beside the Wild West Sea. 3 times you drop onto the beach for about 200m, but the rest is good single track. The end is a climb and bomb down a hill into Kamera. You're shagged, but there are these logs that are great to bunny hop and you just end up going faster and faster, brake hard for walker, smile and go hard... By the end of the trip I could bunny hop with that ridiculous luggage on the back. The next ride day without the luggage and I bunny hopped nearly into orbit.

On the map (hope you can see it, all there are phone pics), we started at the top right corner, over the range, to the left, Heaphy hut right on the beach, and then down beside the beach, all wilderness until we reached the bottom left corner.

Not so Solo ride - long story-map.jpg

This is one beach drop in. In the far background you can see the point of land. We ride along that entire coast and around the point. Thatís the ride out ahead of us.

Not so Solo ride - long story-trail-out-1.jpg

Only in NZ
    Not so Solo ride - long story-trail-out-2.jpg

The single track is exposed here, but it does drop through thick forest for the most part.
    Not so Solo ride - long story-trail-out-3.jpg

As you can see, cross the bridge and into more thick forest. This typifies the singletrack fauna you ride in.
    Not so Solo ride - long story-trail-out-4.jpg
    Not so Solo ride - long story-trail-out-5.jpg

Not far from the end now. Pick up time and the shuttle guy at the end greeted us with a smile and a cold can of beer for everyone. The first half of the can didn't touch the sides

Loaded or unloaded, the Solo kills it on the ups, downs and flats. Iíve never ridden so well on XC flats for sustained pace and a high personal pace for such a prolonged time and had such a ball. Admittedly, the stoke with your mates and surrounds was probably a contributing factor. I guess what Iím saying is that this bike can really eat some miles, and eat them well with a high level of fun. It begs, come on, give me more corners.....

The next day, we did a day ride in Nelson, rode a 40k loop that included a 17k climb (again). Once more, tired legs, great climbing and amazed myself. Bombing down the other side was great, I was relieved to have 140mm up front, let me say that much.

The Solo is very versatile, a great trail bike. Cheers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Not so Solo ride - long story-made-down.jpg  

rox
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    very cool. thanks for posting

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Ditto. Much appreciated. Can't wait to do something epic on mine.

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 4

mtbr member
    Wow! Awesome! Great post, such passion.

mtbr member
    awesome photos and ride. would love to do an epic ride like that someday.

mtbr member
    Looks like the Solo was a great choice for your ride. Beautiful scenery over there in NZ - I wish I had done riding more during my time out there.
    Ridin' & Diggin'

fan of maple syrup
    Great post. I just wasted half an hour of work learning about the Heaphy Track. What a superb trail.

Here's hoping the trial period was successful for MTB riders in the future. I could see it being a potential bike trip for some friends and I, given flights over the ditch are pretty cheap these days. And here's also hoping it paves the way for other similar multi-day trails in Aus/NZ to become MTB friendly (like the Overland Track, for example - something I've always wanted to see, but would much prefer to do so by MTB than foot)

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Thanks guys. Yeah, it was a special ride trip and it is always a pleasure to share the stoke. It gets others enthused and we all get to find the next new ride frontier. We probably fluked it a bit, every ride day just got better so far as our trail selection went. The last day I was there it was pack up and fly home day, the weather had closed in and it was windy and raining. We got the best of it I think.

Yep, riding in NZ is pretty special, both North Island and South Island, they are blessed with great topography, lush rainforest and awesome trails. The whole country has a very progressive approach to mtbing and trails, the network is expanding and I think they are seeing the benefits of the tourist dollar from it now. The local sense of camaraderie helps make for a good trip and you can tell how healthy the sport is over there by the number of women, kids and families that you see out on the trail.

Our next adventure is further south, early next year weíll be heading to Queenstown for some more elevation love. It can be a little faster in Queenstown, so a bigger rotor on the front and Iíll try some more rear travel out. Cheers.

mtbr member
    Looks like a great ride. Thanks for posting!
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    The Solo is an incredibly comfortable bike. I rode 17 miles of trail the other day and thought in my head it was probably 10. My GPS told me otherwise. Normally I would have ached all over but the bike geometry really keeps me going on this bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Yeah, it is a great travelling bike. Eats up the miles nicely, super nice twisting through trails and holds great rolling speed. Good in the woods. Fun and very competent when things point downwards. An interesting balance this bike strikes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by WilliamK View Post
    Yeah, it is a great travelling bike. Eats up the miles nicely, super nice twisting through trails and holds great rolling speed. Good in the woods. Fun and very competent when things point downwards. An interesting balance this bike strikes.
    Hi WilliamK,
    What gearing set up did you go for when you rode the Heaphy. Interested to know what others are riding up front with 1x11's that are going back country/overnighting.
    Cheers

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Hi Surferrob,

I'm getting long in the tooth and have average fitness, I ironically went for a 28t (you have less teeth when you're older) on this trip. Some of the climbs are long and sustained and secondly, I was carrying a bit in the pack and some on the rack. Played it safe so as I could make sure of achieving.

A little bit of fitness and you can very easily push a 30t. Solo is a good climber and this would see you get up a lot of inclines with a bit to spare for the tech.

Are you going to do the Heaphy surfer? If you are in the Nelson area, there are some really cracker tracks about. The Copper mine run out of Nelson is well worth the ride, about a 40k round trip, back into town, hang the bike up at the pub and drink to a great ride. Guides and shuttles are available. If you have time, the Rameka 6 is awesome (6 trails linked), best to get a shuttle as it starts at around 1100m up.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Thanks for sharing!
    Im actually considering a 5010, and my buddy and I bucket-listed a NZ ride next year, albeit in warmer dryer trails!
    Interesting that you went w a 1x set up. Looking back would a 3x/2x set up be a consideration for your future epic rides? Travel adjustable fork adds weight but could help w the long climbs? And lastly, couldn't see clearly but is that a CCDB you're running?

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Hi sidelined, you'll have to roll the dice re the dryer part. NZ tends to have more rain, but you can get lucky. Expect some wet and be pleasantly surprised when you get full sun is the best way to approach it. Having said that, most track I have ridden handle wet well and are very ride-able - assuming it is isolated rain and not days of down pour.

The Solo is a frisky little climber. I had no need to go any lower in gearing and it can climb some very sustained steep terrain. It is easy going. I'm happy to lose some top end gears, once the gravity takes over, I don't care to pedal, holding on for dear life is more the brief. NZ trails tend to flow so well, you won't need high gearing so much, you are more likely to need bigger brakes.

As for gearing, the 1X set up was fine for an epic ride. I did 60ks one day, followed the next day with a 17km climb for a round trip of 40ks. Next day was another 40+ day - it is a super bike for epic riding and it does it easily.

Talas, I don't think it is necessary on this bike. It is a well behaved climber. I had no problems with a slightly bigger fork than standard. I would tend to rely on it's inherent good manners and keep it light so as you can keep it's frisky nature.

The rear shock is a BOS Kirk. Although a CCDBa would work very well.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    First I need to get myself a Solo! Which is on the cards, as is a trip to Nelson. Can't wait for both, going to be plenty of adventures! Woo.

Thanks for the insights into the 1x. Looking at the ratios it seems like you could get away with the 30t but it's reassuring to hear your thoughts that that is in fact the case.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Thanks, WilliamK! Looking to hit NZ next year sometime between spring and summer there. If things work out for me in the next couple of months, I may do a similar not so Solo epic ride on SC5010 like you did -- but may have to stick to the alloy one to be able to do the NZ ride to begin with cheers!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    No problems Surfer - a 30t is very doable. I'm just lazy and tend to conserve rather than push for pain - so anywhere after the 3rd hour, I'm more into spinning than mashing, and that is even more so going into day 2 and day 3 of riding.

You can easily climb Coppermine with a 30t. At the top, you look down over Nelson town to the bay and you know you have a 860+m drop down to sea level ahead. A good ride and great track, some fast sections too, easy to get over 50 and even 60kms - even with a 28t Fit bigger brakes and wider bars is the tip.

Contact Steve at mtb buddies in Nelson. Great bloke and he is trying to make a profession of providing a service to mtbers. He can tee up your shuttles and guides, he likes to ride and guide. He's ridden Coppermine 50+ times has 50+ years under his belt and on a trail bike hits 60+km/h on some of the faster sections.

http://mtb-buddies.org/

Yeah Sidelined, just do it and get over there. Well worth it - doesn't matter if you have AL or C, it's the riding and the camaraderie of Nelson that is worth it.

Nelson is a fraction harder to get to than Q'town and Roto, but it is up there as a mtb destination, and a lot of that is down to Steve and the passionate riding community there. Nelson has a town plan to get a Gondola on the town hill, that will be a draw card and I'll be back to try that out. (the pub will be only about 600m from the base of it - nice)
    Cheers W