7am Backcountry ;- )

Not impressed with Santa Cruz shipping methods!

So my new Blur LT turned up with the bro in California, it was inside a clear plastic bag, with x2 pieces of cardboard either side then put in a large cardboard box. The grease gun was in another box loose inside, and the frame was knocking from top to bottom, side to side. I know I got a bargain at $900, but surely there should be some foam padding, polystyrene or bubble wrap?

Plastic bag protection

[SIZE="1"][SIZE="2"]i can't ride for sh*t but i'm good at extreme pushing[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Hi There!
    Was there any damage? You didn't say.
    NTFTC

mtbr member
    That sounds like my wife's Juliana frame from the VPLS. It arrived in perfect condition so by definition I would say the packaging was adequate.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Same with my nomad....perfect condition. Think SC have shipped a few and know what's going on.

fan of maple syrup
    Not sure how my alloy Nomad arrived at Australian distributor and subsequent bike store, but it came to me similar to how you describe, but with some newspaper around it.

I didn't think twice about it, to be honest. It suffers far, far worse being ridden by me.

b a n n e d
    Its a mountain bike. If it can't handle being shipped in a box, it sure as hell won't stand up to any form of riding. Unless it looks like the box was run over by a truck, I'm sure its fine. Built it up and ride. Consider yourself lucky. I paid 3x what you did for the same frame and it probably came to the shop packaged just like that.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Wow people will anything to ***** about now a days.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Hello capoz77, care to share the shipping frame box dimension? (L-W-H)

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    So, was the frame damaged?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Not impressed with Santa Cruz shipping methods!

If it wasn't damaged, why the hell does it matter? I've purchased two frames from them and both arrived in perfect condition.

mtbr member
    $900 for a new Blur LT frame?!? Man, what a deal. You have nothing to complain about.
    Santa Cruz Bronson - Specialized Crave Rigid

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Seriously man. Build it. Ride it. Be happy. You got a killer deal.

7am Backcountry ;- )
    Not damaged guys, but just wanted to see if it was the norm, the amount of couriers which sling boxes, drop them, damage the goods inside, couple that with easily chipable powdercoat finish and id have thought a few dollars of foam or bubble wrap would be used. Just seems to be asking for trouble having a frame loose inside a box lol

Mates Scott came with pre cut foam and further protection around the hubs. IMHO santa cruz have the best bikes out there, with other manufacturers chasing the suspension and frame designs, my Heckler came well packed but that was bought in Uk from jungle.
    [SIZE="1"][SIZE="2"]i can't ride for sh*t but i'm good at extreme pushing[/SIZE][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Tell your bro to buy some foam pipe insulation and zip tie it to all the tubes, then fill the box with newspaper before he ships it to you. I received a damaged bike in the mail one time, and it is not something you want to have to deal with. The shipping company lost the box for a week, and when it arrived the box looked like it had been dragged across the country a few times, and the box had holes punched in it. I called the dealer up on the phone, and I told them I was sending the box back unopened because there was no way the bike was not damaged. The dealer told me to open the box anyway, and if the frame was damaged they would allow me to return it. Sure enough, when I opened the box it looked like someone had tried to bury an axe in the top of the seat tube.

Very poor packing indeed. The price you paid for the frame is irrelevant.

7am Backcountry ;- )
    Cheers guys, bro has sent on with bubble wrap etc for the air mail journey.

@lizard box dimensions Dimensions 44x10x30 in.. apparently shipping would have been cheaper if the rear triangle was taken off for a smaller overall box for the international forward on.