mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Nomad what shock to get?

Ok - I've had it with my DHX air. I have adjusted the air shock to the point it's "not bad". (215 main chamber 120 boost) But not great. Hitting pedals and blowing thru the midstroke. I keep hearing how the DHX air and the Nomad are a bad combination. I like aggressive trail riding. In the North East - rocky... I'm 180lbs

Should I try and stay with an air shock or go coil?

No CCDB - Too expensive. I'm thinking Fox DHX Coil or Rocco air?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    dhx coil is the way to go for 180lbs and up u will not blow throgh your travel

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Try more like 240-250lbs in the main chamber and 150lbs in the boost chamber of the DHX air, and crank the bottom out all the way in. It may offer a bit of an improvement. I just put a DHX coil on mine, and I'm about to take it out for it's first spin after work.

mtbr member
    May 2004

Try a standard float.

If you want to keep the weight down try and find a fox float in the want add's and get it pushed. Mine is now great no peddle smack and a supper tracking ride, plus minimal adjustment just air and rebound simple . Even standard the float is very usable shox on the gonad i used it for around a year before i went and got it pushed bat.

TNC
    noMAD man

Anything but DHX Air.

LOL!...well, maybe that's a little too broad, but probably not far from the truth. The Nomad isn't as "shock critical" as some designs, but indeed the DHXA is a bad match. Nearly any of the quality coil shocks mentioned here already will work. The only air shock I wouldn't use are the DHXA and a Cloud...just too soft in the middle for a Nomad. I use a PUSH'd Fox RC coil and a Manitou Evolver ISX-6 air shock. The ISX-6 may actually have the edge over that Fox. I will recommend a piggyback shock only for the most part, as they have some more tuning lattitude for bottomout and such.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Manitou Evolver ISX-6

Think I'm going to try the air shock first. It looks interesting.... Thanks for the help!

Ariolimax columbianus
    I'm havin the same problem too. I ride mainly in the santa cruz area, been ridin the frame about a year, and can't get my 1st gen dhxa dialed in. When you find a solution lemme know.

Been lookin @ coils too but I'd like to go a little lighter. bat on a bike can you buy aftermarket floats for nomadness?

I've ridden 3 forks too, van 36r, pike, now a lyrik coil and am still looking for the perfect match. So far the lyrik has been kinda weird because I've been havin problems gettin full travel and compression, but just right now all of the sudden I can bottom it out doing a track stand. Well this is another problem I need to take to the shock forum.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Nynomad,
    I have a Dhx Coil and had it pushed. This is a great shock. It is smooth over rock gardens. Excellent on jumps and makes my fork seem not as smooth. I have a Z1 light and It works well but is not as smooth as my shock. I am currently thinking of getting an 08 36 Van to complement the pushed shock. I am 170 lbs and ride aggresive trail. Not too much extreme stuff in Austin. My point is The Dhx Coil pushed is the way to go. If Money is an issue get the Dhx Coil and get it pushed later.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Smaller RP23 air can on the DHX Air?

Just curious, has anyone tried using the smaller RP23 air can on the DHX Air to solve this problem and, if so, did it help?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Roco Air / ISX-6

Quote Originally Posted by nynomad
    Ok - I've had it with my DHX air. I have adjusted the air shock to the point it's "not bad". (215 main chamber 120 boost) But not great. Hitting pedals and blowing thru the midstroke. I keep hearing how the DHX air and the Nomad are a bad combination. I like aggressive trail riding. In the North East - rocky... I'm 180lbs

nynomad - I am roughly the same weight as you and ran my DHX-A with similar settings, and as you say, it is okay but not great. The DHX-C is much better, I still have one and just recently added a Roco Air onto my Nomad, and quite like it.

It doesn't have all the adjustments the ISX-6 had, but then again, it is dirt cheap. As for a the performance goes, I would put it on par with the DHX-C. So far it has handled everything I could throw at it. Can't comment on the longevity of the shock as they are pretty new, but I am sure it will be fine.

I would still like to check out the ISX-6, so if you have the bucks that would be a good route, if not the Roco Air is an excellent alternative.

NOTE: If you get a chance to test out the Roco Air, don't let a quick bounce test determine if you like the shock. It doesn't feel good until you get it out on a trail.

Jeff

Lord of the Chainrings
    CCDB if you have the $$. Otherwise, go with the DHX-5 coil....
    "Hesitation is the Mother of Failure!"

~~ 951 for Dirt & Roadster for Asphalt ~~

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Well, I can't stand it any longer. I was gonna just try and live with the DHXA but I, too, find that I can't tune it to not blow thru the mid-travel. I ride a medium Nomad, weigh 170 lbs. and consider myself an aggressive trail rider (and it's dry and rocky around here). I'm kinda settling on the Roco coil as I've become turned off on air shocks, although TNC's opinions on the evolver have me thinking twice. What are the pros/cons of the Roco relative to the DHXC, if any? Is this too much shock? How much more does it weigh than my current DHXA? I know it seems as if it's impossible to find/purchase a Roco and coil spring. . .

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I don't see what the huge problem is with the DHX Air. Works fine for me and I'm a buck-eighty and ride pretty agro from the Central-Coast all the way to Tahoe.

- Maybe it's because a good friend of mine is a test rider for Fox. But IIRC, the setup on my rear shock isn't tooooo far off SC's or Fox's setup tips/opinions......

TNC
    noMAD man
    DMFT...The DHXA reminded me of my '04 Z150SL before I modded it. I could set up the DHXA to have good small bump compliance and a good ending stroke ramp up, but the middle was ALWAYS too soft, which definitely allowed the bike to sink quickly and smack the pedals on nearly every rock in the trail. That soft middle also allowed the bike to apparently go out of its sweet spot for VPP optimum pedal efficiency. I could set up the boost chamber and main chamber to yield a better mid-stroke performance, but then IMO the small bump compliance suffered as did the smoother ramp up to full travel. This shock really would have benefited from the old AVA adjuster system that some other Fox air shocks were equipped with. The sad thing about that is that in '04 I was at Interbike's outdoor demo deal, and I rode an ASX with the prototype 36 Talas and DHXA. The Fox booth rep was hyped to point out the rear shock even more than the soon-to-be-released 36 Talas. The rear shock was an AVA equipped, piggybacked air shock. Crap...I wish that one was the one that made it to production.

Now, the interesting thing is that the Nomad doesn't really feel that bad with the DHXA as compared to many other very fine MTBs that I'd ridden...until I installed and rode another shock on it. So I guess what I'm saying is that the Nomad seems to work pretty darned good with just about any shock plugged into it, but you can really see the Nomad's potential when you stick a more compatible shock on it. One's attitude about the DHXA on a Nomad seems to change fairly notably when you ride a Nomad with another quality shock that really performs well with the Nomad's design. I actually have a DHXA on a an "03 Bullit, and it does a much better job on that bike for aggressive trail...probably because of the lighter spring rate requirements in the mid-stroke of the Bullit.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Very good points TNC

I certainly can't say I disagree with you or anyone for that matter on the DHX Air vs. everything else on the Nomad. I'm just sayin' it isn't ALL that bad and hasn't slowed me down or held me back.

I'm going to talk to my outside Fox tech guy and my bro who test's for them and see what we can find out in the way of Nomad specific tuning tips as what Santa Cruz and Fox suggest are a little different.

mtbr member
    May 2006

Smile

but the middle was ALWAYS too soft, which definitely allowed the bike to sink quickly and smack the pedals on nearly every rock in the trail.
    TNC's statement PERFECTLY articulates what I am experiencing. The pedal smack is highly annoying.

So. . .anyone know where I can pick up a Roco WC (I'd settle for a TST-R) and 400 lb - 450 lb spring? They seem to be hard to come by. Anyone out there want to sell?

Too Much Fun

Good job! Roco...

For the cost/performance it seems like it can't be beat. A few people with deep shock experience have compared it favorably to the PUSHE'ed DHX-C, even w/o being PUSH'ed, which will be offered shortly AFAIK.

I'm going Roco TST. I'm done with the POS DHX-A.
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

I'd like to hear what your Fox contact has to say

Quote Originally Posted by DMFT
    I certainly can't say I disagree with you or anyone for that matter on the DHX Air vs. everything else on the Nomad. I'm just sayin' it isn't ALL that bad and hasn't slowed me down or held me back.

I'm going to talk to my outside Fox tech guy and my bro who test's for them and see what we can find out in the way of Nomad specific tuning tips as what Santa Cruz and Fox suggest are a little different.
    Let us know what you find out from Fox or your bro.. I'd like to keep an air shock for weight but might just go the coil route. I have always liked coil front and rear on my Bullit.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I *should* see him tonight for our 6pm group ride. Stay tuned....

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I have a Float R and DHX-C. The Float R is really ok, it doesn't have the too soft mid stroke issue and is generally better than the DHX-A on the Nomad. The coil is better still and both can be Pushed to get even better. Which one will I do first?
    2 wheels

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    brokenbonz,
    The Dhx Coil (mine is Pushed)will solve most of your Problems with blowing threw the mid strok travel. If It doesnt Darren at Push will def fix it. I have no problems with mine and Im 170lbs w/o gear on. But I would listen to TNC on this one if you want to look elsewhere.
    MCtigre

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Thanks for the comments, MCtigre. I'll look into the DHXC a little more.

-jim

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Quote Originally Posted by nynomad

nynomad, I wouldn't give up on the DHX Air just yet, especially if you're not into hucking, etc.... I weigh 190lbs without gear and spent the good part of a month trying to get that damn shock right on my Nomad. I went back to Santa Cruz's website and started with their recommendations for the DHX Air and my weight. It was close, but I'm also an aggressive trail rider and use the bike to race Super D so I like it to squat more in hard corners, etc.... I found the key was getting the sag set to the high end of what SC recommends on their website: 20mm and cheating a little and taking it up to around 25mm. I run the air in the ProPedal (boost valve) chamber on the low end: around 75psi and use the adjuster knob depending on how much climbing vs. descending I'll be doing on any given ride.

The effect it has on the bike is that it doesn't really bob in the first 1/4 of it's travel while climbing. Once it takes a hit or dive and gets the VPP past the first 1/4 of travel (the "S" shape path the wheel takes) it really opens up and gets the rear wheel to do what it needs to do. I've also found that if I'm ready for a long, rough descent, I'll compress the rear of the bike a bit to get it past the first 1/4 of the "S" path and into part of the travel that will benefit hard cornering and hits.

I think that going with a coil shock, you are going to lose some of the great climbing ability the bike has. It will definitely be nicer on the descents as the DHX Air tends to pack up on successive, hard hits, but the DHX coil will be just a tough to set up on the other end of the spectrum.

Like I've mentioned in other posts, my next Nomad will probably be spec'd with an RP23. They are super easy to setup and feel consistant through the range of their travel. I would opt for this shock as I don't huck and use Hadley 10mm T/A hubs which add a bit of stability to the rear of the bike and takes some of the edge from the side to side loads.

Anyway.....just my two cents after a frustrating time setting that DHX Air up. BTW...it's not only on the Nomad. My friend has the same issues on his new Turner RFX and the DHX Air.

mtbr santa cruz member
    Nov 2005
    I started with the DHX-A and had the same issues as stated. I then went to the DHX-C with steel spring. It was much better but a little heavy. I am now rocking the Roco TST-R with Ti coil and have been impressed so far.

Let's RIDE!
    I'm running a Swinger 6-Way with a 450 Ti Spring and am very happy with the shock/bike combination. I had a VP Free with a 5th Element and it never felt as plush as this bike does. I also had a Heckler with the 5th Element and blew it up once... Progressive rebuilt it, but they are not in the bike side of the suspension biz. I also have a classic blur with a Swinger 3-way. Lot's of pedal smack and I never really felt that air shocks are the right choice for most applications...
    Nomad is my d.o.c.

Members who have read this thread: 0