Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

NOMAD w/ a 180mm fork?

9K views 26 replies 14 participants last post by  NomadF-14 
#1 ·
Anyone riding a NOMAD w/ a 180mm travel fork?

I'd like to put a Totem on the bike but I'm hesitant as I know the frame and headtube angle were designed for a 160mm.. Currently have an el cheapo Domain 302. I just swap out between firm and extra firm depending on the trail and my mood.

:confused:

#6 ·
You know you can convert your domain to 180 mm right? Just need to change out the spring shaft for the 180 mm one (assuming you have the fixed travel 160 mm, not the u-turn, althouigh you can convert the u-turn one as well with more parts). You can also put in a motion control IS cartridge, basically turn your fork into a domain 180 318IS for just a little over $100. Thats what i did with mine (on a banshee rune, very similar bike to nomad)instead of spending the $$ on a totem. Wont be quite as burly or advanced damping as a totem, but still feels pretty damn good.

#7 ·
dwyooaj said:
You know you can convert your domain to 180 mm right? Just need to change out the spring shaft for the 180 mm one (assuming you have the fixed travel 160 mm, not the u-turn, althouigh you can convert the u-turn one as well with more parts). You can also put in a motion control IS cartridge, basically turn your fork into a domain 180 318IS for just a little over $100. Thats what i did with mine (on a banshee rune, very similar bike to nomad)instead of spending the $$ on a totem. Wont be quite as burly or advanced damping as a totem, but still feels pretty damn good.
:thumbsup:

#8 ·
I do have the fixed 302 - the only adjustment (aside from swapping springs) is rebound.

I didn't know this could be done - where do I get the longer spring shaft and IS cartridge, Rock Shocks/SRAM direct? Can I use the same springs or would I need longer ones?

Thanks dwyooaj!

#9 ·
If you can change your own oil and swap springs, then you should deffinately be able to do this yourself.

The spring does stay the same, only the shaft changes. The one for 180 mm is 20mm longer :) Mine cost about $18 or something from my LBS when I did it. I think any LBS should be able to order it. Good luck:thumbsup:

Heres the sram parts guide
http://www.sram.com/_media/techdocs/2011 RockShox SPC_Rev B.pdf

#13 ·
How do you guys find the totems? The reviews are saying their seals are always leaking, and the coil version is a bit heavy.

I got a 160mm TALAS, thinkinging about a 180mm fork for my Nomad maybe next year. The 180mm VAN RC2 look really nice, but they are super pricey. I can pick up an used Totem for around $400 - $500.

Cheers,

Ming

#15 ·
Macming, that's the same reason I bought a FOX. Never had a Fox leak on me and locally the Totem has a reputation for spurting out the top. What is interesting is that Avalanche is releasing a damping cartridge for 180 forks, including the Totem. Since you can get them so cheap now..... hmmmmm.

#16 ·
gticlay said:
Macming, that's the same reason I bought a FOX. Never had a Fox leak on me and locally the Totem has a reputation for spurting out the top. What is interesting is that Avalanche is releasing a damping cartridge for 180 forks, including the Totem. Since you can get them so cheap now..... hmmmmm.
Interesting. Would the damping cartridge solve the seal issue? I wonder if Enduro Seal has seals for the totem.

I thought Elka is releasing a cartridge upgrade for the Fox 40. Maybe they'll release something for the Fox 36 lineup as well. Then it will get really interesting :)

I'm sort of torn between getting a 180mm fork for my Nomad MK 1.5, or sell it and get a V10. I want to do more shuttle days in Ontario, but the trails aren't that hard around here. Even blue mountain isn't too bad. I have a BLT2 for general trail riding that I love. If I put a Float 36mm on the BLT with a 20mm up front, it should easily replace the Nomad for all around riding.

What year is this V10?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...Category=98083&_trkparms=algo=LVI&its=I&otn=1

Thanks,

Ming

#17 ·
fidib said:
hsbikes said:
Hi!

Here's my bike....:thumbsup:

That would be awesome bike with a coil shock!!!
I know, but i haven't got any money! ;)

Well, i'm so happy with this configuration in my bike. Totem it's an IS coil, but now i have installed solo air cartridge. Nomad weights 14,7 in that photos.

The action photo is in Alicante, Spain, with the sea at the end.

#18 ·
hsbikes said:
fidib said:

Well, i'm so happy with this configuration in my bike. Totem it's an IS coil, but now i have installed solo air cartridge. Nomad weights 14,7 in that photos.

Heheh. You can pick up an used DHX 5.0 coil for around $200 - $300, and the 8.5x2.5s are super easy to come by :) You'll be impressed with the change from DHX air to coil!

Nice bike BTW :) I'm a little jealous of the tall front end.

#19 ·
macming said:
How do you guys find the totems? The reviews are saying their seals are always leaking, and the coil version is a bit heavy.

I got a 160mm TALAS, thinkinging about a 180mm fork for my Nomad maybe next year. The 180mm VAN RC2 look really nice, but they are super pricey. I can pick up an used Totem for around $400 - $500.

Cheers,

Ming
The newer totems have no problems with the seals. If you get an older one ,new seals from RS should be all you need ,if it pukes. I have been running a totem solo air,with regular maintenance for a year and a half,and no issues.That's lots of whistler day's too:D

#20 ·
Well - I just bought a Totem solo air DH new on Ebay.. Get's here Monday. I'll post my impression once it's all set up and I get a couple rides. My shock is the DHX 5.0 air, but I have the coil also so I'll probably experiment a little between the two.

I did go to the LBS to order parts to convert my 302 but never heard back. Seems standard for that place - if they can't sell you a $4K bike in the first 5 minutes of walking through the door, they lose interest......

#21 ·
hsbikes said:
fidib said:

I just noticed your chainguide.. Is that something you made and mounted to the stay?

Also noticed you've got a long cage rear der. - I have the same setup but went to an XT mid cage and love it (less chain jumping around) on the rough stuff.

Thanks for the pics:cool:

#22 ·
NomadF-14 said:
hsbikes said:
I just noticed your chainguide.. Is that something you made and mounted to the stay?

Also noticed you've got a long cage rear der. - I have the same setup but went to an XT mid cage and love it (less chain jumping around) on the rough stuff.

Thanks for the pics:cool:
Yes, it's homemade, but not self idea. It's cool ant better function chainguide in the mrkt. I use this rear mech, 'cause it's the only one i used 'til i've mtb. About 4 years. Iwould like an new short der (x0 or similar) but crisis in Spain it's so hard. Almost i have job... Working nice with correctly chain lenght

I have another vimeo video onboard in "La Sima" a place in Murcia last summer

La Sima, Murcia from Borja cuellar on Vimeo.

#26 ·
NomadF-14 said:
Well - I just bought a Totem solo air DH new on Ebay.. Get's here Monday. I'll post my impression once it's all set up and I get a couple rides. My shock is the DHX 5.0 air, but I have the coil also so I'll probably experiment a little between the two.

I did go to the LBS to order parts to convert my 302 but never heard back. Seems standard for that place - if they can't sell you a $4K bike in the first 5 minutes of walking through the door, they lose interest......
Hey, how do you like the Totem? I'm seriously thinking of picking one up soon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.