Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 36
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Cool Breeze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    77

    Nomad Vs. Tracer VP

    Can you guys compare and contrast these bikes. I climb just so I can get to the downhill. I'm 6' and weigh 215 and bomb the downhills and singletracks, but am willing to suffer up climbs. I currently ride an Intense 5.5, but am looking for a plusher ride. I have a deposit down on a Nomad, but wanted to make sure I make the right decision. Thanks!

  2. #2
    I Like Bicycles
    Reputation: Thimk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    611
    More like Tracer VP vs. BLT2? I've always understood the tracer to be a trail bike, not a AM/FR rig like the Nomad.

    I believe Intense has a new 6.6 coming out as well. Very similar to the Tracer. Check the Intense boards.

    But if you want plusher, the Nomad is more travel.
    #1 Norco Aurum LE
    #2 Yeti SB-66
    #3 Evil Sovereign

  3. #3
    Founder: Dirty3hirties
    Reputation: ddraewwg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,958
    Quote Originally Posted by Thimk
    More like Tracer VP vs. BLT2? I've always understood the tracer to be a trail bike, not a AM/FR rig like the Nomad.

    I believe Intense has a new 6.6 coming out as well. Very similar to the Tracer. Check the Intense boards.

    But if you want plusher, the Nomad is more travel.
    The older nomad had 165mm....the tracer VP has 160. Even comparing the older Nomad to the new Tracer, you're never going to notice the 5 mm difference. The new Nomad has 160 mm so it is exactly the same.

    I agree that the Nomad is more DH/FR but not because it has more travel. Other differences (geo, wheelbase, ISCG tabs) have more to do with it than that.

  4. #4
    I Like Bicycles
    Reputation: Thimk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    611
    Quote Originally Posted by ddraewwg
    The older nomad had 165mm....the tracer VP has 160. Even comparing the older Nomad to the new Tracer, you're never going to notice the 5 mm difference. The new Nomad has 160 mm so it is exactly the same.

    I agree that the Nomad is more DH/FR but not because it has more travel. Other differences (geo, wheelbase, ISCG tabs) have more to do with it than that.
    Just looked it up, and it's a 140mm-150mm in the rear. http://www.bikeradar.com/news/articl...-machine-15862

    But yeah, count in the rest of course...
    #1 Norco Aurum LE
    #2 Yeti SB-66
    #3 Evil Sovereign

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Trojan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    95
    Quote Originally Posted by ddraewwg
    The older nomad had 165mm....the tracer VP has 160. Even comparing the older Nomad to the new Tracer, you're never going to notice the 5 mm difference. The new Nomad has 160 mm so it is exactly the same.

    I agree that the Nomad is more DH/FR but not because it has more travel. Other differences (geo, wheelbase, ISCG tabs) have more to do with it than that.

    Yes I am of the same opinion i want an 09 Nomad but after seeing the Tracer it looks like a mighty fine prospect, same weight as a Yeti 575 6.2lbs (med) and will take 130 to 150 fork, built up as a trail weapon at 28/29lbs could be awsome.
    But Nomad is 67 deg with fox 36 160, with 1160rear travel, where as the tracer is 67.5 with fox 36 and 150 rear travel, so i guess it will not be as burly or take as much hucking as the Nomad, but could be lighter to build up....see enclosed pics. looking forward to a ride review asap!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    For Sale- Blur XCc'11+fox 120
    Litespeed Ardennes '09,
    Xc/Trail - Solo C Black
    AMl- Nomad C Green '13+36's

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    56
    I am trying to decide between these two frames too. Can somebody please post some info to compare? Is the Tracer worth $600 more just for the frame? The specs are very close and my bike shop doesn't have either to test drive!
    There's Bikes & Then There's Options
    http://www.sjoptions.com

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gticlay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    6,594
    Quote Originally Posted by moozico
    I am trying to decide between these two frames too. Can somebody please post some info to compare? Is the Tracer worth $600 more just for the frame? The specs are very close and my bike shop doesn't have either to test drive!
    No flucking way it's worth $600 more.
    "It looks flexy"

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    56
    I'm not sure if I'm correct, but I think the bike shop quoted $1699 for the Nomad and $2299 for the Tracer VP frame.
    There's Bikes & Then There's Options
    http://www.sjoptions.com

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rku615's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    204
    A friend just bought a Tracer... sure looks wicket over the Nomad.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: JohnnyG 1970's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    777
    I own both bikes.The Intense Tracer Vpp great bike.More of a ALL Mountain bike.Very happy with it. But as stated above, it is more money than the Santa Cruz NomadMKII.Plus with the Tracer Vpp the stock rear shock sucks big time.So thats more money for and upgrade of the rear shock.The Nomad gives you three rear shock options. Note all three are very good rear shocks.Do I like both bikes yes.It I had to chose one.I would go with the NomadMKII. It is truly the do it all bike.Plus you can't beat the price plus more options right from the factory.I will be using my NomadMKII up at Highland until my Santa Cruz Driver8 comes in.Thats the kind of bike the Nomad is. LET IT RIP!!! Hopes this helps.
    2011 Santa Cruz TallBoy carbon & 2013 TallBoy LT carbon - S/C All the Time !!!

  11. #11
    Founder: Dirty3hirties
    Reputation: ddraewwg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,958
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyG 1970
    I own both bikes.The Intense Tracer Vpp great bike.More of a ALL Mountain bike.Very happy with it. But as stated above, it is more money than the Santa Cruz NomadMKII.Plus with the Tracer Vpp the stock rear shock sucks big time.So thats more money for and upgrade of the rear shock.The Nomad gives you three rear shock options. Note all three are very good rear shocks.Do I like both bikes yes.It I had to chose one.I would go with the NomadMKII. It is truly the do it all bike.Plus you can't beat the price plus more options right from the factory.I will be using my NomadMKII up at Highland until my Santa Cruz Driver8 comes in.Thats the kind of bike the Nomad is. LET IT RIP!!! Hopes this helps.
    Curious. What do you mean by the "NomadMKII" Did I miss something?

  12. #12
    TNC
    TNC is offline
    noMAD man
    Reputation: TNC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,059
    Quote Originally Posted by ddraewwg
    Curious. What do you mean by the "NomadMKII" Did I miss something?
    Just means "newest Nomad". I guess you'd could refer to my '06 Nomad...first model...as a MK1. There is somewhat of an intermediate model with a 1.5 headtube and some slight frame beefing, but it's basically the MK1 version. At least that's how most of us are applying the lingo.

  13. #13
    Founder: Dirty3hirties
    Reputation: ddraewwg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,958
    Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    Just means "newest Nomad". I guess you'd could refer to my '06 Nomad...first model...as a MK1. There is somewhat of an intermediate model with a 1.5 headtube and some slight frame beefing, but it's basically the MK1 version. At least that's how most of us are applying the lingo.
    Ok, cuz as a non Santa Cruzian, I was thinking the old Iron Horses....but those were MKIII, not exactly the same either. Thanks.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Stumpy_Steve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,343
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyG 1970
    I own both bikes.The Intense Tracer Vpp great bike.More of a ALL Mountain bike.Very happy with it. But as stated above, it is more money than the Santa Cruz NomadMKII.Plus with the Tracer Vpp the stock rear shock sucks big time.So thats more money for and upgrade of the rear shock.The Nomad gives you three rear shock options. Note all three are very good rear shocks.Do I like both bikes yes.It I had to chose one.I would go with the NomadMKII. It is truly the do it all bike.Plus you can't beat the price plus more options right from the factory.I will be using my NomadMKII up at Highland until my Santa Cruz Driver8 comes in.Thats the kind of bike the Nomad is. LET IT RIP!!! Hopes this helps.
    Johnny, can you please go more into detail on the differences? I'm thinking about these two frames for '10, so I'm starting the research. I know you don't like the rear shock because of your weight for the tracer, but how exactly does the nomad feel like a do it all bike more than the tracer? Price aside, why would you choose the nomad? Plus I assume you have similar builds on both?

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: JohnnyG 1970's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    777
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy_Steve
    Johnny, can you please go more into detail on the differences? I'm thinking about these two frames for '10, so I'm starting the research. I know you don't like the rear shock because of your weight for the tracer, but how exactly does the nomad feel like a do it all bike more than the tracer? Price aside, why would you choose the nomad? Plus I assume you have similar builds on both?
    What I mean by saying that the NomadMKII is a do it all bike.I am getting a DH bike the S/C Driver8. Its not coming in until May.So when I go to Highland, I will be taking the Nomad until my Driver8 comes in.I look at it this way for the money and what the bike can handle and do.The NomadMKII is the winner hands down.Unless you are one of the dudes that your wheels never leave the ground.Then I would say either bike it wouldn't really matter. except, I think dollar for dollar the Santa Cruz NomadMKII is a great deal and a bullet proof bike.I have the luxury of owning both.But if I had to choose one I would choose the Santa Cruz NomadMKII. P.S Yes, they are built the same pretty much. PLUS the NomadMKII has more rear shock option's right from the Factory.Intense kinda drop the ball on that one with the Tracer Vpp. Which I stated in my review of the Tracer Vpp. Now every one and their brother hates the Fox rp-23 rear shock on the Tracer Vpp.The Fox rp-23 holds that Tracer Vpp back from its full potential.
    2011 Santa Cruz TallBoy carbon & 2013 TallBoy LT carbon - S/C All the Time !!!

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: JohnnyG 1970's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    777
    My bad.
    Last edited by JohnnyG 1970; 04-10-2009 at 07:25 PM.
    2011 Santa Cruz TallBoy carbon & 2013 TallBoy LT carbon - S/C All the Time !!!

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Stumpy_Steve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,343
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyG 1970
    What I mean by saying that the NomadMKII is a do it all bike.I am getting a DH bike the S/C Driver8. Its not coming in until May.So when I go to Highland, I will be taking the Nomad until my Driver8 comes in.I look at it this way for the money and what the bike can handle and do.The NomadMKII is the winner hands down.Unless you are one of the dudes that your wheels never leave the ground.Then I would say either bike it wouldn't really matter. except, I think dollar for dollar the Santa Cruz NomadMKII is a great deal and a bullet proof bike.I have the luxury of owning both.But if I had to choose one I would choose the Santa Cruz NomadMKII. P.S Yes, they are built the same pretty much. PLUS the NomadMKII has more rear shock option's right from the Factory.Intense kinda drop the ball on that one with the Tracer Vpp. Which I stated in my review of the Tracer Vpp. Now every one and their brother hates the Fox rp-23 rear shock on the Tracer Vpp.The Fox rp-23 holds that Tracer Vpp back from its full potential.
    Ok, well how are the ride characteristics for both bikes? Since you've got a similar build on both, I assume the nomad is plusher? Stiffer? Does either track better? Climb better? How are the angles for climbing and descending? I'm not too concerned with the shock choice, as I'm 170lb, and I'd take the bike to NorthStar & downieville, but my blt1 handled everything there fine, so I don't necc. need a crazy able-to-fit-a-triple-crown-fork bike. They've both got vpp2, but totally different animals.

  18. #18
    inner peace to make peace
    Reputation: TrailNut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,227
    eh, I came very close to buying a Tracer today...and I still might, but I had to test ride a Nomad2 first...

    if I understand correctly, Tracer's a 150mm shock, weighs 6.7#, but a Nomad2 is a 160mm shock, weights 6.9#, is 0.5* slacker, but other wise is very similar, except that Nomad2 costs few hundreds less?
    The state that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards & its fighting by fools.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Stumpy_Steve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,343
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailNut
    eh, I came very close to buying a Tracer today...and I still might, but I had to test ride a Nomad2 first...

    if I understand correctly, Tracer's a 150mm shock, weighs 6.7#, but a Nomad2 is a 160mm shock, weights 6.9#, is 0.5* slacker, but other wise is very similar, except that Nomad2 costs few hundreds less?
    Cool. Are you going to be able to get these bikes into the dirt? I'm still very interested between these two bikes, but have already decided on a fork - xfusion vengeance. Although I wish king would make a god damn conversion for a quick release front wheel to a 20mm, so I can keep my wheels!

    Luckily, now that Trailhead Cyclery has both Intense & Santa Cruz, I'm going to try to demo both of them one day @ Santa Teresa May 9 & 10...

  20. #20
    inner peace to make peace
    Reputation: TrailNut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,227
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy_Steve
    Cool. Are you going to be able to get these bikes into the dirt? I'm still very interested between these two bikes, but have already decided on a fork - xfusion vengeance. Although I wish king would make a god damn conversion for a quick release front wheel to a 20mm, so I can keep my wheels!

    Luckily, now that Trailhead Cyclery has both Intense & Santa Cruz, I'm going to try to demo both of them one day @ Santa Teresa May 9 & 10...
    my LBS for the Tracer only allows pavement test. Stairs, up and down, are the only way to see
    The state that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards & its fighting by fools.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Stumpy_Steve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,343
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailNut
    my LBS for the Tracer only allows pavement test. Stairs, up and down, are the only way to see
    I'd advise you to come out to trailheads demo then. I noticed you're in fairfax, but hell, riding both dream bikes for free on the same trails back to back id say is worth the 1 hour drive before dropping 3-4k on a bike. I'll be there first thing in the morning - nomad and tracer, please.

  22. #22
    inner peace to make peace
    Reputation: TrailNut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,227
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy_Steve
    I'd advise you to come out to trailheads demo then. I noticed you're in fairfax, but hell, riding both dream bikes for free on the same trails back to back id say is worth the 1 hour drive before dropping 3-4k on a bike. I'll be there first thing in the morning - nomad and tracer, please.

    yes, I will! I love riding in and around Camp Tamarancho...
    excellent point since I'll be spending $4k to $5k

    I live in Berkeley, btw, a lot easier to drive to Camp Tamarancho...I could even do this on a weekday, now with sunlight, after work
    The state that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards & its fighting by fools.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    55
    Quote Originally Posted by moozico
    I am trying to decide between these two frames too. Can somebody please post some info to compare? Is the Tracer worth $600 more just for the frame? The specs are very close and my bike shop doesn't have either to test drive!
    I have a 09 Nomad and I have owned the Tracer VP and two of my friends both own Tracers. The only nod I would give to the Tracer over the Nomad is the adjustability from 5 1/2" to 6" but that would be all. My friends and I did a XC ride yesterday that was 25 miles with a tad over 3,000 feet of climbing. The Nomad climbs just as well as the Tracer.

    My friends Tracers are pretty much the same except one is running a Lyrik fork and the other is riding a Float 32 Talas 150mm. They both run the rear end in 5 1/2 mode. My bike is built up more on the XC side just like my buddies bikes but I'm riding a Fox 36 Talas. All three bike weigh within a half pound of each other. None of the three are under 29 lbs.

    I would not give the nod to one bike over the other. They both have the same suspension, the geometrey is really close. Performance wise there is no difference other then you can change the travel on the Intense which is not that big of a deal when you compare the two. The Tracer is not worth $600.00 more, They just have to pay SC for the VPP design. IMHO get the Nomad it's cheaper and it climbs just as good as the Tracer and I think it Down hills better. I hope this helps you in your decision. You won't go wrong with either bike, they are both great.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    55
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy_Steve
    Ok, well how are the ride characteristics for both bikes? Since you've got a similar build on both, I assume the nomad is plusher? Stiffer? Does either track better? Climb better? How are the angles for climbing and descending? I'm not too concerned with the shock choice, as I'm 170lb, and I'd take the bike to NorthStar & downieville, but my blt1 handled everything there fine, so I don't necc. need a crazy able-to-fit-a-triple-crown-fork bike. They've both got vpp2, but totally different animals.
    Hey Stumpy,

    I think if you trying to decide between the two it will come down to which one you think looks better. Going DH the Nomad will beat it easily, That is what I think though so take it for what it is worth. Climbing the Nomad can hang with the Tracer with no problem, that part depends on your legs. For the riding you mentioned above I would go with the Nomad.

    When I first purchased my Nomad I thought it wouldn't climb well at all and I thought it would DH like my old DH bike. I was way wrong, first ride was a XC ride 23 miles 3,000 ft of climbing. The bike exceeded my expectations on the climb and met my expectations on the DH. I love Intense but I think the Nomad is just a better bike plus I didn't want to pay Intense more money just because they license the VPP design from Santa Cruz.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,385
    I've owned both the 09 Tracer, and the 09 Nomad. I agree with what's been stated: you should be comparing the BLT to the Tracer, the Nomad is more AM/light FR, whereas the Tracer is Trail bike/light AM. The Nomad is a better design; I know you are thinking they have the same design, but SC uses 3, 15mm axles, with greasable angular contact bearings, this creates a more ridged feel than the Tracer. The nomad is cheaper, but Intense is made in USA, I wish SC still did in house work. The Tracer may be more versital if you want a bike that can feel like an xc rig,or AM, but if you want a more agressive bike, the nomad is more versital because it can handle a 180 fork turning it into a tall bb slack ass light FR bike. Very nice! Both are great bikes, just ask your self if you want the option of a FR build, and the option for a more xc build. The Nomad can be built super light, but if that's the road you want to go down, a nomad will never feel as xc as a tracer in it's 5.5 setting.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •