TNC
    noMAD man

Nomad & VP-Free link.

We don't have a VP Free handy at the shop to compare my question. I was noticing in a couple of pics of VP Frees that the main suspension link at the shock looks very much like the one on a Nomad. Anybody close to both bikes who could do a cursory check of this possibility? Just curious.

All Mt, DH
    TNC I have both a Free and Nomad at home now.
    Just had a look...
    It seems the Free uses larger for shock mounting M8 I think...
    Also the Free's Link which connects shock to Frame is quite a bit wider, hence not a Nomad link.

It does seem though they share the same front frame gap (where shock mounts) seems tobe 22mm.

Hope that helps.... quite certain the links etc are not interchangeable
    2007 Blur 4x
    2009 Driver 8

TNC
    noMAD man

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rogue
    TNC I have both a Free and Nomad at home now.
    Just had a look...
    It seems the Free uses larger for shock mounting M8 I think...
    Also the Free's Link which connects shock to Frame is quite a bit wider, hence not a Nomad link.

It does seem though they share the same front frame gap (where shock mounts) seems tobe 22mm.

Hope that helps.... quite certain the links etc are not interchangeable
    I was just curious after seeing a couple of Free pics and noticing that they were similar looking in size and shape.

Dirt Displacer
    Just looking at the two, they definitely share the same design, just the Free is a bit scaled up in the frame and linkage department. That was a major head-scratcher for me when trying to decide as to what to buy.

And look at the design similarity between the Intense 6.6 and say, the Free or Nomad. The 6.6 frame and linkages are nearly the same as the SC rigs, only just a little more.... um.... blocky or angular. Also a head-scratcher when I was trying to narrow down exactly what I wanted.
    Bombardier :::: MCM #249

[SIZE="5"]Trails Listings, GPS Tracks, & Forums[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="5"]Singletracks.com[/SIZE]

All Mt, DH
    For me the Free and Nomad are both very nice bikes to ride.
    Overall the Free is a lot more heavy duty in the rear chainstays
    The Nomad is about 2 to 2.5lbs lighter (I think) and has much better standover clearance.

The Nomad is also less taxing to ride longer distances, dont get me wrong.. the Free is an amazing pedaller for such a big bike. The diffrence also comes down to some extent lifting up the Free over trail obstacles / Stairs /etc ... its when I notice the weight most.

In saying that, when it gets real rough and nasty, i'd rather be on the Free anyday.
    2007 Blur 4x
    2009 Driver 8

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    i have a Nomad w/ DHX air and it feels to me like a 5,5 inch bike(Mountain Bike Magazine had measured 155mm rear travel) to climb either to descend , i think VPFREE is far more capable to descend and Nomad is playing in "ONE BIKE" league like Giant Reign,6.6 or specialized ENDURO SX. Last year I bought a INFERNO frame and i didn't like the rear suspesion felling albeit i tried many suspension set up and it's so heavy to all day long rides but now after some rides on Nomad i realized how good is the INFERNO , I ordered a MARS 66 SL to rebuild the INFERNO to more ugly traits trail.

Lord of the Chainrings
    Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    We don't have a VP Free handy at the shop to compare my question. I was noticing in a couple of pics of VP Frees that the main suspension link at the shock looks very much like the one on a Nomad. Anybody close to both bikes who could do a cursory check of this possibility? Just curious.
    I own a large VP-Free and a large Nomad.

Both are 8-3/4" (222mm) eye-to-eye, so the rear shocks are interchangeable.
    "Hesitation is the Mother of Failure!"

~~ 951 for Dirt & Roadster for Asphalt ~~

TNC
    noMAD man

8.5 X 2.5 on the Nomad.

Quote Originally Posted by Mudd
    I own a large VP-Free and a large Nomad.

Both are 8-3/4" (222mm) eye-to-eye, so the rear shocks are interchangeable.
    At least that's the factory intended size. I think some, like Photo-John, have installed an 8.5 X 2.5 on a Free to drop travel and use as a more all-around bike.

TNC
    noMAD man

That magazine article.

Quote Originally Posted by mentawais
    i have a Nomad w/ DHX air and it feels to me like a 5,5 inch bike(Mountain Bike Magazine had measured 155mm rear travel) to climb either to descend , i think VPFREE is far more capable to descend and Nomad is playing in "ONE BIKE" league like Giant Reign,6.6 or specialized ENDURO SX. Last year I bought a INFERNO frame and i didn't like the rear suspesion felling albeit i tried many suspension set up and it's so heavy to all day long rides but now after some rides on Nomad i realized how good is the INFERNO , I ordered a MARS 66 SL to rebuild the INFERNO to more ugly traits trail.
    When that article came out, I think it was Banzai Hucker who asked if anyone would measure their Nomad's travel. I responded to that post with measurements and pics of how I got it on my Nomad. Mine is a large Nomad, not that it should make any difference. It was quite evident that it got at least 6.5" of rear wheel travel. I challenge anyone else with a Nomad to do the same. I read some of the text of that article...a European MTB mag if I recall...and the way the stats and text were written, it was kind of herky-jerky. Maybe a translation thing...or something.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    When that article came out, I think it was Banzai Hucker who asked if anyone would measure their Nomad's travel. I responded to that post with measurements and pics of how I got it on my Nomad. Mine is a large Nomad, not that it should make any difference. It was quite evident that it got at least 6.5" of rear wheel travel. I challenge anyone else with a Nomad to do the same. I read some of the text of that article...a European MTB mag if I recall...and the way the stats and text were written, it was kind of herky-jerky. Maybe a translation thing...or something.
    Is this my new nickname "Hucker"! hahaha

I'll measure mine as soon as I put my hands on it, should be this week or next week. However I'm not afraid at all, I've seen your measurement and I'm sure it is 6.5". Magazines are notorious for this kind of "mistake". I don't even count the number of spec mistakes I've read in MBA. In fact, manufacturers should probably sue mags when they publish false info, it would teach them a lesson!