Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Turtle 1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,145

    New question here. Nomad versus 6-Pack for a heavy rider ???

    Hey guys, I see there's a bunch of you riding Nomads and after reading the posts, it looks like you're liking them. I have a question about the Nomad and would appreciate some feedback. However, what I need most is some feedback from the heavy weights-are any of you guys weighing close to 235-240; I'm currently weighing 238 without gear.

    The big question for me is will the Nomad with a DHX 5.0 Coil support my weight? I'm currently riding a Turner 6-Pack and I'm using the heaviest spring you can put on a DHX with a 7.5 x 2.0 stroke. Even Fox told me to look for a bike with a lower leverage rate-I think that was good advice.

    So if there's any heavyweights riding a Nomad, please let me know how it's working for you and what size spring your running. I looked on the Santa Cruz site and saw they recommend a 600lb spring for a 240lb rider; I'm going to write to Santa Cruz and check it out.

    Thanks in advance for the feedback.
    turtle

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,520
    Don't tell me a hardcore homer is going to convert to the dark side! hahaha Welcome to the SC forum Turtle!

    Sorry to waste your time because I can't really help you, I'm not heavy at all. However since I've wasted you time so much having you read up to here, I'll make an educated guess. The Nomad has quite a lower leverage ratio (8.5x2.5 shock) then your 6pack so I believe it should be fine with the DHX-Coil. I'm sure other more reliable sources will chime in.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    165

    I'm Going Nomad !!

    The Turner 6 Pack is an awesome bike . I had the same problem. I had a DHX Air on it and it was impossiable. I put the DHX Coil on it and said the heck with it. Sell it and get the SC Nomad.

    My friend has on and several other bikes (5 spot, moment etc) The Nomad is his favorite ride.











    Quote Originally Posted by Turtle 1
    Hey guys, I see there's a bunch of you riding Nomads and after reading the posts, it looks like you're liking them. I have a question about the Nomad and would appreciate some feedback. However, what I need most is some feedback from the heavy weights-are any of you guys weighing close to 235-240; I'm currently weighing 238 without gear.

    The big question for me is will the Nomad with a DHX 5.0 Coil support my weight? I'm currently riding a Turner 6-Pack and I'm using the heaviest spring you can put on a DHX with a 7.5 x 2.0 stroke. Even Fox told me to look for a bike with a lower leverage rate-I think that was good advice.

    So if there's any heavyweights riding a Nomad, please let me know how it's working for you and what size spring your running. I looked on the Santa Cruz site and saw they recommend a 600lb spring for a 240lb rider; I'm going to write to Santa Cruz and check it out.

    Thanks in advance for the feedback.
    turtle

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Turtle 1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,145
    Quote Originally Posted by BubbaTime
    The Turner 6 Pack is an awesome bike . I had the same problem. I had a DHX Air on it and it was impossiable. I put the DHX Coil on it and said the heck with it. Sell it and get the SC Nomad.

    My friend has on and several other bikes (5 spot, moment etc) The Nomad is his favorite ride.
    Bubba Time, did you get a Nomad yet-now I know where you went; you had a nice 6-Pack, tscheezy posted a picture.
    turtle

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Turtle 1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,145
    You must have some friends over on the turner site-I see your posts over there all the time. Based on what I'm hearing and the one time I saw a Nomad on the trail, they climb really well-did I get that right?

    One of my friends told me the VP Free was an awsome pedaling bike-he knows what he's talking about. In addition, I had Blur when they first came out-I loved the way it pedaled. I'm just hoping the Nomad's VPP is gonna help me get up to the top-I catch a lot of flack for shuttling. You'd think that my almost "senior" status would be enough to prevent the hecklers from poking fun at me for shuttling but there's no easy times in sight-that's why I need the VPP to help me get to the top.

    Thanks for the response.
    turtle

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    165

    On order.

    Yes, it is an awesome bike. The leverage ratio is hard on the DHX Air. 300# did not even get it right. Some of the lighter guys(under 200#) are using 275# . The suspension is hard to figure out for a Clyde.

    The Nomad seems to be a great bike as well with lower leverage ratio. It should be per pound (or less) like the 5 spot.

    It is a hard decision.




    Quote Originally Posted by Turtle 1
    Bubba Time, did you get a Nomad yet-now I know where you went; you had a nice 6-Pack, tscheezy posted a picture.
    turtle

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •