Thread: Nomad + Tyres

mtbr member

Nomad + Tyres

Hi,

Since building the Nomad I've been using the conti verts I had on my Blur. However, I find the rear paticularly skittish.

I am now in the market for new tyres. Was thinking Maxxis Advantage. Any suggestions? What would be the maximum tyre size on the Nomad ? I use it as a general trail bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    It depends where you ride but for an all around great tire the Kenda Nevagal sure beats the Contis I had two years ago. 2.5 sticky in front and 2.35 DTC in the rear is a very versatile setup. If you are more into XC the 2.35 in front and 2.1 in the rear will have less weight and rolling resistance.

mtbr member

Begorrah!

I ride in Ireland. Mixed terrain from muddy to wet tree roots to loose gravel and hardpack.

Dirt Displacer
    Yeah, the Continental tires seem to be a little too wiggly for use on the rear, but are awesome for the front wheel.

I'd say run a Vertical or Gravity on the front, and a Kenda Nevegal or Schwalbe BigBetty/Fat Albert on the rear..... Or just a set of BigBettys. Those tires ROCK.... Just the tread compound is a little too soft for my taste.

I really like the Vapor/Gravity/Diesel tread design and compound for rocky terrain and sand, and they roll really fast as well on hardpack/pavement.
    I've had my Vapors for about 6 months now, and they are showing very little wear, whereas the IRCs on my wife's bike are pretty worn down already.
    Bombardier :::: MCM #249

[SIZE="5"]Trails Listings, GPS Tracks, & Forums[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="5"]Singletracks.com[/SIZE]

Lord of the Chainrings

Good job! Go with Nevagals!

I've been pretty impressed with the Kenda Nevegal for the loose terrain and its climbing ability. SC website says you can go up to a 2.7" tire, but I'd stick with a 2.35" for the Nomad. I run 2.5's on my VP-Free.
    "Hesitation is the Mother of Failure!"

~~ 951 for Dirt & Roadster for Asphalt ~~

mtbr member

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by Bombardier
    Yeah, the Continental tires seem to be a little too wiggly for use on the rear, but are awesome for the front wheel.

I really like the Vapor/Gravity/Diesel tread design and compound for rocky terrain and sand, and they roll really fast as well on hardpack/pavement.
    I've had my Vapors for about 6 months now, and they are showing very little wear, whereas the IRCs on my wife's bike are pretty worn down already.
    I'm running Continental Deisel's front and rear on my Nomad and i think they are excellent. The rear is very dependant on air pressure to get the right feel. More so than any other tyre rear tyre i've run on any bike. It does squirm if the pressure is too low obviously.

Bombadier's description of the terrain they work well on is the same as what i've found.

mtbr member

Hmmmm Diesels

The diesels do look very nice indeed. I wonder how they would run on DT 5.1 rims though?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Like those before me, I also reccomend the Kenda Nevegals. The best tires I ever tried. I dont think you need bigger than 2.35 .

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by starsky
    The diesels do look very nice indeed. I wonder how they would run on DT 5.1 rims though?
    The 5.1s are 28mm wide aren't they? The tyres should be fine. They run fineon my old Mavic D521's that are 28mm wide too.

I'm running the Deisel's on th DT 6.1s on the Nomad.