Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Nomad tuning

2K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  Tkul 
#1 ·
I love my new 2010 Nomad but seems hard to wheelie & extremely difficult to do a manual. I did a lot of reading, a shorter stem would improve everything but climbing (not to worried). I went from a 70mm with 5 degree rise to 35mm with 0 rise. The 35mm stem seems weird, not good not bad just different. The front end doesn’t seem lighter & doing a wheelie did not improve. I have the stock TruVativ Stylo Team bars that the bike came with, I think it has ¾” rise. From doing more reading they say a short stem will benefit from a taller rise bar. I know the fad is too go low & wide. My question is will a taller bar help my problem?

Thanks for some help

#11 ·
I ride a 2010 Nomad. I run a 50mm stem with DH bars that are wide and have a high rise (Monkey DH lite). 35mm seems really short. It does take a little more to get use to in terms of the long stay but the benefits of the overall geo are amazing. It took me at least 3 rides to get dialed into the how the bike handles.

Lees Bikes has some good advice on stems and bars

http://www.leelikesbikes.com

In the search box just put stem length and bars and you should get some info.

#12 ·
Dude, all you have to do is lean back more, OK? Throw your weight behind the bike
and manual. Practice in the basketball courts or the soccer field. You could have a
150 stem on there and still manual. Just get used to the bike and practice. Thats
what all the world cup riders do....

#13 ·
I found Nomad also hard to manual and bunnyhop (as it starts with pulling bars back like the manual). Started with low riser Easton bars with 65mm zero rise stem, now running 50mm stem with Sunline 711 wide V1 high rise bars, with two to three 5mm washers below stem. I think the washers and bar width help more than stem lenght reduction. However Nomad likes to be low in the front to be better at corners, so tricky to find good sweet spot.
I came from Reign and feel Nomad requires more power from upper body to fully use its potential, hence it gives ewerything back you give it in a manner that only Nomad can. I find it extremely rewarding bike to ride, because the more you push it the better it feels. Same goes to manualling, just lean back and pull a bit harder with determination...

#14 ·
The Crza said:
I ride a 2010 Nomad. I run a 50mm stem with DH bars that are wide and have a high rise (Monkey DH lite). 35mm seems really short. It does take a little more to get use to in terms of the long stay but the benefits of the overall geo are amazing. It took me at least 3 rides to get dialed into the how the bike handles.

Lees Bikes has some good advice on stems and bars

http://www.leelikesbikes.com

In the search box just put stem length and bars and you should get some info.
Thank, Lee say's I need taller bars, I will try to find a set to borrow before is spend some unwanted mulla.

#15 ·
Probably that just me or my other bikes but Nomad is the bike where I really learn how to manual after 7 years of MTB. 50mm stem and dh easton now but no problems with other stems so probably you just need need to get used to the nomad feeling

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.