mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Nomad to Tallboy LTc?

Has anyone here gone from a Nomad to a Tallboy LT recently? I'm considering making the jump but would love to hear some feedback from people who have ridden both bikes. I'm sure the TB will kill the climbs and AM trails but how does it handle steep loose/loamy descents? My trail bike has to handle some pedal to the top DH duty from time to time. Do you think I will I regret the Tallboy on those days? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Ive rode both and bought the lt for my style of riding. nomad is. more nimble, lower center of gravity, more squish, def goes down better. your weight and position on the bike is more rearward.it climbs good for what it is though.
    tall boy is a trail all mountain bike. with the 29 inch wheels santa cruz says it sits in between the blur lt and nomad. It will kill the all mountain stuff. center of gravity is def higher and wont coner as well as a 26er. Its one of the best 29ers for going down hill for sure so if you like the advantages of a 29er then you wouldnt regret anything. Get a dropper post for sure. soon santa cruz will get a 650b bike...well see how that goes

Matty-B
    ive owned 3 nomads in the last 6 years. its become the bike i know better than anything else. i never thought a 29er was for me. Ive spent 2 long days on a friends tallboy LTc. having limited time on a 29er, i was totally blown away at what the tallboy LT was capable of. it was so much of an eye opener for me, and my riding, that ive been giving serious consideration into getting one. when i rode the Tallboy LT it really just felt like a big wheeled version of my nomad. i figure with that in mind it would be an easy transition moving fulltime to a tallbou LT. i feel like an angleset may be that little bit extra i would need to help feel as confident on a 29er as a 26er too

Climbs = necessary evil
    I owned a 2006 Nomad until last year when I started demoing 29ers, one of which was the SC TB, but not the LT version. The TB was not the bike for me, but I ended up riding a RIP9 which I love. It climbs much better than the Nomad and has a great suspension. Getting out and demoing is the way to find the right bike for your riding needs.

mtbr member
    I had a Nomad C then went to TBc,back to Trc now back to TbLTC and it feels very similar to the feel of my old Nomad C but has much better small bump feel than my Nomad C with a air shock. IMO

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scfreak View Post
    I had a Nomad C then went to TBc,back to Trc now back to TbLTC and it feels very similar to the feel of my old Nomad C but has much better small bump feel than my Nomad C with a air shock. IMO
    What did you think of how the TRc compared with either of the 29ers? I currently have both a TRc and Nomad but have considered moving to a 29er either in place of the TRc or in place of both bikes. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Nomad vs Tallboy LTc

I had a small Nomad alu (2006) until I got a mediumTallboy LTc this summer.

Hardly any transition involved. Geometry is 1" longer in Top Tube and in Wheelbase. However, the bike handles every type of terrain I used to ride with my Nomad.

I can handle my LTc on anything from xc to light freeride. My Nomad was a little too much for the xc.

Both bikes are/were set up the same way. Wide bars, short stem. Dropper post on the LTc. As well, I have a bionicon chain guide combined with 2x10 and Shadow +. Around 28lbs.

Not missing my Nomad the least bit.

If you are thinking of a Nomad with a 36x180mm front fork than maybe the LTc is not for you. Otherwise, worth considering. Didn't even flinch about getting it. Didn't even try it.

I would love to try a pair of Enve AM wheelset but until I get rich, I'll stick with what I have.

This bike is like having a pair of fat rockered skis in pow; make everything easier.

Sylvain

mtbr member
    "This bike is like having a pair of fat rockered skis in pow; make everything easier."

+ rep for the perfect analogy
    2014 Tallboy 2

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I ride a NomadC and got to try a TBLTa for a short bit of trail. It definitely made riding tech stuff easier. The big wheels with that suspension rolled over stuff like nothing. The other guy riding my bike for that short bit noted that he had to "muscle" my bike up the tech stuff... which I think is a good way of putting it when compared to riding the his TBLTa. I did notice the weight in the wheels of the TBLTa and I didn't care for that at all. I think some lighter wheels would have helped this a lot. I had more fun going downhill on the NomadC by far. Like rogerfromco said, test ride if you reallly want to know what you like best, but all these bikes are so cool that you should be able to have tons of fun on either one.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by robsetsfire View Post
    What did you think of how the TRc compared with either of the 29ers? I currently have both a TRc and Nomad but have considered moving to a 29er either in place of the TRc or in place of both bikes. Thanks.
    robsetsfire- I thought the TBC did everything I ride locally fine but wanted that extra travel in the rear to match more like the front (120mmm) so before summer I went with the TRC for trails like Downieville and I was really happy with it! Weighed in at 26lbs with a dropper and WTB wheels and handled really quick. One thing I noticed about the 29ers is you really have to spend the money on good wheels cause the "Flex" stiff wheels really makes the bikes handle better IMO. As far as the TRC and Nomad C I feel the TRC was the better all around bike IMO.

That being said when I sold the TRC for the TBLTC I went with Enve AM wheels and it weighs 27 with a dropper. Bike feels great! Climbs well (not as good as the TBC but close) but really rips down hill!

Really you cant go wrong with either of the Tallboys but if you like to ride the rough stuff fast I would lean to the LTC.

If you like to ride everything and the rough stuff and don't care about the speed go TBC. IMO All the SC bikes are good

Hope this didn't confuse the crap out of you!

mtbr member
    Thanks for the response! I'm really happy with my TRc... someday I'm sure I'll end up owning a 29er and it is good to hear the feedback on the SC options.