Thread: Nomad + TALAS?

mtbr member

Nomad + TALAS?

Anyone running a TALAS on their Nomad?

I am running a 150mm travel fork on mine and it's ruining the bike for me. I have a float rear shock which is very active. I find the high front end throws my weight back over the rear wheel which kicks in the rear shock.

I was thinking of going back down to a 130mm fork. Anyone else running this combi or have any set up suggestions?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I get the feeling that maybe the Nomad is the wrong bike for you. Your profile says you're a XC rider, and you mentioned wanting to go back to your Blur in another post. I'm just curious about why you upgraded to a Nomad? I thought I wanted one after hearing all the hype, but after riding a BLT and a Nomad, it became pretty obvious to me, that the Nomad just didn't fit my riding style like the BLT did.

What about a fork like the Maverick DUC32? It's got a relatively low A-C height for a 6" fork, and you can drop it down to 4".

TNC
    noMAD man

Maybe...

Quote Originally Posted by starsky
    Anyone running a TALAS on their Nomad?

I am running a 150mm travel fork on mine and it's ruining the bike for me. I have a float rear shock which is very active. I find the high front end throws my weight back over the rear wheel which kicks in the rear shock.

I was thinking of going back down to a 130mm fork. Anyone else running this combi or have any set up suggestions?
    your rear shock isn't set up right? Even with geometry aside, you shouldn't be getting a very noticeable "kick" from the rear shock. Are you bottoming out, getting too fast a rebound, or what? I tend to think from the experience with my Nomad that a 130mm fork would make for a serious pedal smacking setup in any rocky situation. If where you ride is fairly buff, then maybe it wouldn't be an issue. Also if I recall, doesn't SC recommend a minimum of 140mm? Also, what 150mm fork are you running? Maybe it's set up improperly, causing an imbalance at the rear.

If everything is working properly, and you still want a 5" fork on a Nomad, maybe a BLT would have been more appropriate.

Oh, on the Talas 36, other than an issue of some of them losing a bit of travel from their advertised 150mm, they seem to work quite well. It would probably be a good balance for a Nomad, and you can lower it when desired.
    Last edited by TNC; 02-19-2006 at 02:07 PM. Reason: add text

mtbr member

Blt

I'm actually thinking a BLT might have been the way to go!! Too late now!!!

I'm running a UK made fork, a PACE RC 41 Fighter. I've pumped as much air as I can get into the Float rear shock and it's still very active. Also removed one of the spacers below the stem today which didn't resolve the problem.

Kicking myself I didn't buy a BLT!!

mtbr member

Nomad

The dealer I buy my SCs from pushed the Nomad. Said it would suit me better. I'm beginning to think it's too much bike for me!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Yeah, I got that feeling that it was too much bike when I test rode a Nomad, and it's funny because the salesman at the shop really pushed the Nomad too, but something in my gut told me to get the BLT, which I did. The slack head angle and slower steering on the Nomad really didn't suit me well more of an XC rider. The pedal smack that TNC mentioned really threw me off, and that was on a Nomad with a 36 Talas fork on it, so I can't imagine how much worse it would be with a 130mm fork. I think the Nomad's a great bike, and obviously a lot of people here love them, but it's not for everybody.