mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Nomad spring rate..?#!

I have a Nomad mk1 (no grease nipples) and confused the hell out of what spring rate I need, not helped by much conflicting information out there on the internet. It has a DHX5 coil currently with a 500 x 2.8 spring, I weigh roughly 12 stone about 168 pounds with kit on and I can't quite get the shock to bottom out, say the last 0.5" of travel before the bump stop hits the spring retainer.

I'm unsure whether this is due to the "bottom out" and air cannister settings or the spring is to high, I don't really want needlessly buy another spring when it's a shock setting.

I found this thread Advise to Spring Rate for DHX 5.0 on a Nomad with a graphic but not sure where it came from, how true it is or whether it's for the mk1.

What do people think and what spring rate are you on the ml1 vs weight?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Ack! another spring rate calculator that gives me a different result.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Actually having just looked at it again it's a 550 x 2.8.
    Need to change.. I wish you could trial these things for a while.

Slower But Faster
    Santa Cruz conveniently have some setup information relating to the RC4 on their web site. Won't be too different for a DHX 5 I suspect.

Santa Cruz Bicycles NOMAD

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The starting point to figuring out if you've got the right spring is to check your sag. It doesn't have anything to do with the settings on your shock. Are you getting the right amount of sag? If so, yes, sounds like shock settings, probably volume or psi.

You might also try removing the spring and compressing the suspension and see where it bottoms out without a spring.

A lot of people adjust shock settings to compensate for the wrong spring, which is a bad idea.

Ow!
    I bet your spring rate is too high to start with. I currently am using a 600lb spring, and I weigh 250lbs without a pack. I used a 700 when I weighed 280lbs. That was on the old Nomad (2007?) and using the 600 on the new carbon Nomad now. Seems OK, but I am taking it up to lift service this weekend, so we will see. SC's recommendations seem pretty close.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Interesting as the spring rates are a lot different to the old thread I quoted, much lower. For example 180lbs rider would be 500 spring and on the new link 400.

A lot of the 'spring calculators I tried came out at 350-400 odd which I thought was too low, based on other rides comments and such I went for a 400 which would match up with that new link and we'll see how it goes

mtbr member
    You are running 100 pounds too much spring. I'm 220lbs with kit, and a 450 is perfect for me. 500 did not allow the suspension to work at all.

Try a 400, and if you still aren't getting full travel try a 350. Don't waste time and money on a 450. At 500 you are way, way, way oversrpung.
    I'll be along... eventually.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Well the 400 arrive today and installed, set the pre load on the spring for the sag and dialled in some rough settings. First proper ride tomorrow so we'll see how we go

Ow!
    Used the 600 at Sunrise this weekend and worked out great. Of course, I only rode the "green" trails (beginner), so I do not know how it would work dropping 10 feet at speed. Let me rephrase that. I will never know how it will work dropping 10 feet at speed. But I did use most (not all) the travel.