Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 30
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: crank1979's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,480

    Nomad shock options??

    I'm just about to pick up my Nomad frame and am wondering what shocks people have tried and what they think suit the Nomad.

    I'm going with the Marzocchi 66RC2X forks.

    Shocks i'm considering are:
    * Fox DHX Air (read about problems in reviews here so that makes me a bit unsure of it)
    * Fox RP3
    * Marzocchi Roco RC (non pedalling platform shock??)
    * Fox DHX 5.0
    * Cane Creek Double Barrel (made by/with Ohlins so it should be brilliant??)

    What do people reckon is best for the Nomad with the Marzocchi fork set up?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,520
    I went with the Rocco but I don't have it yet so can't help you. The only thing I can say is the feedback I read from Noel (Knolly bike owner), the Rocco is a real plush shock and combined with the VPP linkage should be a good match since VPP should not need a platform shock.

    So I ordered my Nomad with the free FloatR that I'll keep for backup or XC days when I feel lazy.

    What sold me on the Rocco is price, simplicity of adjustment, user friendly maintenance and reliability of Marzo products. The CaneCreek DB is probably an even better shock but you have to play with it to find the right adjustment and it's quite a bit more expensive.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: crank1979's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,480
    Thanks mate. That opens things up a bit for me. Definitely no platform shock needed then? When do you get your Nomad and Roco?

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: daisycutter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,449

    air all the way

    I have had my nomad for two wweks and I can tell you that frame was made for the DHX Air. If you are getting a frame and shock now you should have no problem with the shock isssue. I love my nomad it is the true multi use frame.


    QUOTE=crank1979@optusnet.com.au]I'm just about to pick up my Nomad frame and am wondering what shocks people have tried and what they think suit the Nomad.

    I'm going with the Marzocchi 66RC2X forks.

    Shocks i'm considering are:
    * Fox DHX Air (read about problems in reviews here so that makes me a bit unsure of it)
    * Fox RP3
    * Marzocchi Roco RC (non pedalling platform shock??)
    * Fox DHX 5.0
    * Cane Creek Double Barrel (made by/with Ohlins so it should be brilliant??)

    What do people reckon is best for the Nomad with the Marzocchi fork set up?[/QUOTE]

  5. #5
    IJR
    IJR is offline
    I Just Ride
    Reputation: IJR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    283
    Do like Banzai said and get the no upcharge shock then buy whatever you want. Mine came with the DHX air but I replaced it with a 5th coil. It rides so much better now.

  6. #6
    All Mt, DH
    Reputation: rogue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    488
    Currently run a DHX Air on my Nomad and 4 of my mates run the DHX as well to.. no probs as yet. One though (got his Nomad first) has changed from DHX Air to DHX Ti Coil and says he much prefers that setup [ less to worry about in air pressures - quote ]
    Remember the DHX Air hasnt really been around for a long time so its a bit of a wait and see how it goes over time.
    2007 Blur 4x
    2009 Driver 8

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: crank1979's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,480
    So is the general consensus coil over air? I might go with a DHX 5.0 at first then and see how that goes. Mainly because i'm struggling to find availability info on the Roco and CCDB over here.

  8. #8
    truth seeker
    Reputation: Reptile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    206

    Avalanche or Cane Creek

    My 2 cents: Get the Nomad with Fox DHX air or DHX coil. Sell the OEM Fox shock (you should be able to get $300 easily for either shock new) and order an Avalanche (Chubie or Woodie) or Cane Creek Double Barrel. No OEM shock will perform as well as a shock dialed in for your weight and riding style by a custom shock manufacturer. If you can afford it, it is an investment you will not regret.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: arandal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    174

    true dat but....

    5th coil also...you can get cheap cos' they are the same as a bullit (8.5 x 2.5)
    I have a nomad with a dhx air, and a 5th coil backup (from my old bullt) which means I have a backup always ... unless both break...and I am from New Zealand...whoops...

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,520
    Quote Originally Posted by crank1979@optusnet.com.au
    Thanks mate. That opens things up a bit for me. Definitely no platform shock needed then? When do you get your Nomad and Roco?
    The Rocco is not a problem, many stores already have them. It's the Nomad that can be more problematic depending on the color/size. I'm waiting for mine a few weeks now but I'm patient because it's winter where I live so not much riding.

    By the way, if you are used to a coil shock, I think you should really think about either the Rocco, CaneCreek or even the DHX-C. Yes there are plenty of people that are very happy with the DHX air but there is also quite a few of those who started out pretty happy with the DHX air until they tried their bike with a coil shock like CaneCreek, Avy,... It really depends what you are used to, what you try, and also what type of riding you do. Have fun shopping!

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    51

    Progressive 5th AIr!!

    Obviously you folks need a little education on the correct rear shock for a Nomad, and trust me, I've had the opportunity to ride Fox (both coil and air), Progressive air and the Roco and I am here to tell you there is no comparison to the "feel" you get from the Progressive 5th air, it's more plush, supple, buttery and whatever other adjectives you might want to throw in there.Don't waste your time and money on these other sub par shocks, get a progressive and go big!

    freeridingfreddy speaks again.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,520
    Quote Originally Posted by freeridingfreddy
    Obviously you folks need a little education on the correct rear shock for a Nomad, and trust me, I've had the opportunity to ride Fox (both coil and air), Progressive air and the Roco and I am here to tell you there is no comparison to the "feel" you get from the Progressive 5th air, it's more plush, supple, buttery and whatever other adjectives you might want to throw in there.Don't waste your time and money on these other sub par shocks, get a progressive and go big!

    freeridingfreddy speaks again.
    For some reason I'm not sure you really rode a Nomad with a Rocco, but I may be wrong!

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by BanzaiRider
    For some reason I'm not sure you really rode a Nomad with a Rocco, but I may be wrong!

    You are wrong!


  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,520
    Quote Originally Posted by freeridingfreddy
    You are wrong!

    Would you by any chance have a pic, I can't believe such an innovative combination shock/frame didn't deserve a picture when you tried it!

  15. #15
    truth seeker
    Reputation: Reptile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    206

    Cane Creek Double Barrel - NOT an option

    According to Malcolm at Cane Creek, the Double Barrel shock can not be used on the Nomad. Or, I should say, it can be used, but Cane Creek strongly discourages it and is not interested in selling the Double Barrel to Nomad owners. I'm not entirely clear on what the issues are - Malcolm says that the fact that the shock mounts on the Nomad use bushings instead of bearings affects the shock performance negatively.

    Not sure what I'm going to do for my build - maybe freeridingfreddy can hook me up with one of those ridiculously smooth, buttery, plush Progressive air shocks...

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,520
    Quote Originally Posted by Reptile
    Not sure what I'm going to do for my build - maybe freeridingfreddy can hook me up with one of those ridiculously smooth, buttery, plush Progressive air shocks...
    haha

    Quote Originally Posted by Reptile
    According to Malcolm at Cane Creek, the Double Barrel shock can not be used on the Nomad. Or, I should say, it can be used, but Cane Creek strongly discourages it and is not interested in selling the Double Barrel to Nomad owners. I'm not entirely clear on what the issues are - Malcolm says that the fact that the shock mounts on the Nomad use bushings instead of bearings affects the shock performance negatively.
    That's a real shocker. Would you be so kind to ask him about why it works for the Intense 6.6. The Nomad and 6.6 are basically the same shock mounts/design in the rear and aappling72 bought a CaneCreek for his 6.6. I would even say the 6.6 is worst on the shock than the Nomad because it's leverage ration is higher. Quite curious about this one.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by BanzaiRider
    Would you by any chance have a pic, I can't believe such an innovative combination shock/frame didn't deserve a picture when you tried it!
    Oh yes, I did take a picture and right after that I put my super plush 5th element back on so I could go on a real ride.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by Reptile
    According to Malcolm at Cane Creek, the Double Barrel shock can not be used on the Nomad. Or, I should say, it can be used, but Cane Creek strongly discourages it and is not interested in selling the Double Barrel to Nomad owners. I'm not entirely clear on what the issues are - Malcolm says that the fact that the shock mounts on the Nomad use bushings instead of bearings affects the shock performance negatively.

    Not sure what I'm going to do for my build - maybe freeridingfreddy can hook me up with one of those ridiculously smooth, buttery, plush Progressive air shocks...

    If I had an extra 5th air for you I would hand it right over that way you could have the same amount of fun that I have on my Nomad, of course I'm assuming you can ride a bike.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    140
    Quote Originally Posted by freeridingfreddy
    Oh yes, I did take a picture and right after that I put my super plush 5th element back on so I could go on a real ride.
    ...and again.
    Last edited by mmmm...kona; 02-08-2006 at 09:23 PM.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    140
    Quote Originally Posted by freeridingfreddy
    If I had an extra 5th air for you I would hand it right over that way you could have the same amount of fun that I have on my Nomad, of course I'm assuming you can ride a bike.
    freeridingfreddy speaks again...
    Last edited by mmmm...kona; 02-08-2006 at 09:14 PM.

  21. #21
    Too Much Fun
    Reputation: benja55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,954

    Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! No CCDB on Nomad due to bushings...

    Quote Originally Posted by BanzaiRider
    That's a real shocker. Would you be so kind to ask him about why it works for the Intense 6.6. The Nomad and 6.6 are basically the same shock mounts/design in the rear and aappling72 bought a CaneCreek for his 6.6. I would even say the 6.6 is worst on the shock than the Nomad because it's leverage ration is higher. Quite curious about this one.
    I wrote to Malcolm at CC about a Nomad CCDB version and this was his response:

    "Ben, sorry we have no plans to build a Double Barrel that requires bushings, instead of spherical bearings on both ends. Bearings work much better."

    I say we keep writing CC about this!
    - -benja- -

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,520
    Quote Originally Posted by benja55
    I wrote to Malcolm at CC about a Nomad CCDB version and this was his response:

    "Ben, sorry we have no plans to build a Double Barrel that requires bushings, instead of spherical bearings on both ends. Bearings work much better."

    I say we keep writing CC about this!
    Sorry Benja but my Nomad will run on a Marzo Rocco. It may not have the ultimate adjustability of the CaneCreek but it is cheaper and user serviceable. In fact CaneCreek are a bit of a dissapointment for me with this shock. They have a great reputation with their Cloud9 shock because it is simple, cheap, user serviceable and fits most frames. It looks like for the DoubleBarrel they went completely in the opposite direction, complex, expensive and company service dependant on top of being picky to which frame they support.

  23. #23
    truth seeker
    Reputation: Reptile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    206

    Avalanche Chubie piggyback

    I spoke to Craig at Avalanche Downhill Racing and he is going to put together a Chubie for my Nomad. He has not yet delivered a shock for a Nomad and wanted to be sure of the shock mount sizing, so I agreed to ship him my frame. I know it's a bit extravagant, but the Chubie is a great shock and I like to support companies like his that put out a great product and don't get a lot of support from the major industry players. The good news is that other Nomad owners will now have the Chubie as an option - and they won't have to ship their frame to get it!

    http://www.avalanchedownhillracing.com/chubie.html

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,520
    Hey that's an interesting choice also Reptile. Would be really fun to test ride my Nomad with Rocco versus yours with Chubie... I don't know if some magazines would be willing to pay us for a review! hahaha I can't wait to read your comments.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    663
    Quote Originally Posted by crank1979@optusnet.com.au
    I'm just about to pick up my Nomad frame and am wondering what shocks people have tried and what they think suit the Nomad.

    I'm going with the Marzocchi 66RC2X forks.

    Shocks i'm considering are:
    * Fox DHX Air (read about problems in reviews here so that makes me a bit unsure of it)
    * Fox RP3
    * Marzocchi Roco RC (non pedalling platform shock??)
    * Fox DHX 5.0
    * Cane Creek Double Barrel (made by/with Ohlins so it should be brilliant??)

    What do people reckon is best for the Nomad with the Marzocchi fork set up?
    I got my Nomad with the Fox Float R custom tuned high volume shock. It came that way. LBS didnt have a DHX air in stock for me, so he let me use the Float until the DHX arrived.
    I was blown away with the Float's performance. It has just the right amount of platform (custom tuned or not ?..... ), was ultra plush & yet the bike pedalls great. I hate having all kinds of tuning options, and since the shock performed great I decided to keep it. I also saved some weight and some $$$ on the way . If you can - check it out.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •