View Poll Results: Nomad 6" single crown front shock options...

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • Fox 36

44 62.86%
  • Marzocchi 66

26 37.14%
    Lord of the Chainrings

Nomad Shock, Fox 36 or Marzocchi 66?

Building up a Nomad.
    Going to go with a single crown fork and keep it light.
    Considering the 6" Fox 36 and Marzocchi 66, as my options.
    Which one? Advantages/disadvantages?
    "Hesitation is the Mother of Failure!"

~~ 951 for Dirt & Roadster for Asphalt ~~

mtbr member
    I went with the 36 - super stiff and plush out of the box.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudd
    Building up a Nomad.
    Are you referring to a TALAS or VAN, or both? I've always been interested in the split between those two. The guys at SC told me that the Van is now 3 to 1 more poular than the TALAS. I ordered a TALAS anyway. I probably should have got a VAN but oh well. I'll probably never see my bike for this riding season anyway. Ha!

TNC
    noMAD man

Though I'd recommend either,

I have a Van 36 and am totally impressed with it. It's stout, light, and has excellent damping. It's what you want from a fork. I wouldn't be at all anxious about buying a 66SL and slapping it on my Nomad either...even if it is an air fork. Both of these forks appear to be hitting homeruns with the people that have them. The Van 36 has 6.3" of travel while the 66SL has 6.7". The Van 36 is a tiny bit lighter but not by much. Both of these forks seem to perform excellently.

Oh...there's a Van 36 on the bike behind that sign.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by TNC; 03-05-2006 at 07:13 PM. Reason: add pic

mtbr member
    Building up a Nomad.
    I had my 36 RC2 TALAS for over 6 months and my personal opinion is - this fork su*k. I use my bike as a trail rig, the biggest drops I hit have 6", I don't drop to flat and even though 6 months was enough for fork to get noticable play on upper/lower tubes connection - something I never had with any marzocchi. I do understand You're considering Fox 36 Van, but even if there are no issues like loosing travel or fork being too linear as for the "FR Technology" proudly advertised by Fox, You still got crappy (IMO) construction, 20mm axle that has to be torqued by 2,15Nm (less than You can expect) and God only knows what else. My advice - take '06 Zoke 66 SL or RC2x. For 1 pound weight penalty You get "install and forget" class fork.

Best regards,
    serhij

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Is having the TALAS a good idea to allow you to drop the nose a bit for all those boring climbs.

I see that as a massive advantage that would compensate for the dodgy brown colour.

when are the 160mm, black versions of the TALAS with 20mm increments appearing, they have been in the press for months??

TNC
    noMAD man

Just haven't seen this.

Quote Originally Posted by serhij
    I had my 36 RC2 TALAS for over 6 months and my personal opinion is - this fork su*k. I use my bike as a trail rig, the biggest drops I hit have 6", I don't drop to flat and even though 6 months was enough for fork to get noticable play on upper/lower tubes connection - something I never had with any marzocchi. I do understand You're considering Fox 36 Van, but even if there are no issues like loosing travel or fork being too linear as for the "FR Technology" proudly advertised by Fox, You still got crappy (IMO) construction, 20mm axle that has to be torqued by 2,15Nm (less than You can expect) and God only knows what else. My advice - take '06 Zoke 66 SL or RC2x. For 1 pound weight penalty You get "install and forget" class fork.

Best regards,
    serhij
    You know, this same issue occured or is still occuring with some Manitou Shermans and Nixons. All of these types of incidents are basically tied to overtightening. We don't even use a torque wrench at the shop on any of these forks and we haven't cracked any lowers. People are just prone to using too much power in tightening many things on bicycles IMHO. I ride in extremely rocky terrain and have noticed numerous places on my Van 36 lowers where rocks have struck this area around the axle clamps. If this area of the fork was structurally weak, I'd think rocks or other strikes in this area would snap or crack the clamps. All known cracks seem to be from overtightening.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    You know, this same issue occured or is still occuring with some Manitou Shermans and Nixons. All of these types of incidents are basically tied to overtightening.
    Well I'm aware of that. I belive possibility to overtight 20mm axle bolts is just a small inconvenience when we think of play on slides inside lower tubes. This just shouldn't happend especialy considering how and for how long I've used 36. Maybe I just got defective copy (really hope so !) but I'm done with Fox Racing Shox for a longer time.

Best regards,
    serhij

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

i´m with serhij

i give fox another try (36van rc2) because i´ve got that problem on others fox forks(not the torque problem)like the 100x,the float ttx and my brother with the same forks with the same problems,but i think i made another mistake(and this will be the last),because my brother has a 36talas rc2 and after lost 7mm (don´t no where they are)the fork is beging to mke that f*****g noise, is it me and brother? i don´t think so!the owner of the shop is already saying what are we doing?we just say we ride ride ride ride.we don´t buy something expensive and then it acts under some 50€ forks and stay quiet and calm.excuse-me for my english.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by munkyboy
    Is having the TALAS a good idea to allow you to drop the nose a bit for all those boring climbs.

I see that as a massive advantage that would compensate for the dodgy brown colour.

when are the 160mm, black versions of the TALAS with 20mm increments appearing, they have been in the press for months??
    If You are absolutely sure You want Fox 36, get 36 Van. Travel reduction is a nice option, but TALAS makes travel too inear for FR use. 36 TALAS is a pure breed trail fork, Van is far more universal.

Best regards,
    serhij

Lord of the Chainrings
    Quote Originally Posted by serhij

Best regards,
    serhij
    Dude, I took your advice and got a brand new 150mm 66RC for $400. That's half the price of a Fox 36! I've always been a Marzocchi fan; (owned Z1's, Super/Monster/Junior-T's), and yes, the 66RC is one of those "install it and forget it" fork with all the adjustments!

mtbr member
    Dude, I took your advice and got a brand new 150mm 66RC for $400. That's half the price of a Fox 36! I've always been a Marzocchi fan; (owned Z1's, Super/Monster/Junior-T's), and yes, the 66RC is one of those "install it and forget it" fork with all the adjustments!
    Nice to hear You got Your fork :-). And the price is...wow !!! :-) I'm sure You won't regret it - 66RC is a real freeride fork - plushness and no compromise.

Best regards,
    serhij

Lord of the Chainrings
    Build complete! Ready to ROCK!

First pix.....(camera phone)
    Attached Images Attached Images

...is still one gear

Hey mudd...

is that a 2005 150mm 66 or 2006 150mm 66?

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by onetothepowerofn
    The crown looks like a 2005.
    Nothing to see here.

Lord of the Chainrings
    Quote Originally Posted by onetothepowerofn
    It's an '05 66RC.