Thread: Nomad Set Up

mtbr member

Nomad Set Up

Hi,

I've decided to bite the bullet and upgrqde from my classic Blur to a Nomad. I'm going to switch everything over except the fork and shock.

I intend using the bike as a tough XC / Trail / All mountain machine. I notice a lot of you guys have built up your bikes with Fox 36's. Any particular reason and does the bike stay light enough to ride uphill as well as down?

mtbr member
    TFo 36 is the best combination for the nomad. It is an amazing fork which I reccommend.

Quote Originally Posted by starsky
    Hi,

I've decided to bite the bullet and upgrqde from my classic Blur to a Nomad. I'm going to switch everything over except the fork and shock.

I intend using the bike as a tough XC / Trail / All mountain machine. I notice a lot of you guys have built up your bikes with Fox 36's. Any particular reason and does the bike stay light enough to ride uphill as well as down?

TNC
    noMAD man

Ride height.

Hi,

One thing to consider on the Nomad is ride height. The Van 36 has 6.3" of travel and is decently tall but not towering. It seems to be a perfect match for travel and geometry for the Nomad. Forks that are very much shorter are going to bring on some serious pedal smacking with this bike. Mine weighs 33lbs. I rode it today for 20 miles in some seriously rocky, constantly up and down terrain. The bike pedals really great in the rocks. I'm 54 years old...you can do it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member

Update

I have decided to go with PACE RC41 Fighters. 150mm of travel yet lighter than the standard TALAS RLC.

I want the bike as a burly XC trail riding machine rather than a freerider or downhill lite rig.

One further question - stem length. I'm swapping most of the parts over from my Blur which has a Thomson Elite 90mm stem. Will it be too long on the Nomad?

All Mt, DH
    I did have a Thomson 90mm on my Nomad at first, but have since changed to a Thomson 70mm X4. It feels nicer now. I have a Large Nomad.

Im also seriously considering a setback seatpost too after riding my buds one for a mile last week. Note: some of the riding we do here in HongKong is quite steep and you have to keep the weight back (no leaning over the bars or there is be Trouble)..
    2007 Blur 4x
    2009 Driver 8

Dirt Displacer
    I wouldn't pass up the idea of a 'zoki AM fork... They're about spot-on for travel in the XC/allmountain department IMHO, plus 'zoki's service support is reputed to be among the best.
    Bombardier :::: MCM #249

[SIZE="5"]Trails Listings, GPS Tracks, & Forums[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="5"]Singletracks.com[/SIZE]

aka baycat
    Have you considered the get the 66 SL?

20mm, 150 - 170mm adjustable travel and it comes in the best color, black!

TNC
    noMAD man

May be a good contender.

Quote Originally Posted by baycat
    Have you considered the get the 66 SL?

20mm, 150 - 170mm adjustable travel and it comes in the best color, black!
    Yeah, this new 66SL might be another good candidate for the Nomad. Before actually building and riding mine, I would have said that maybe my Van 36 and especially a 66SL would be approaching the ride height limits of the frame. After a couple of weeks of actually riding mine, I've been surprised by the chassis geometry influence this bike has. Yeah, of course I had studied the numbers on the SC site, but I wasn't prepared to how much you can move the cockpit fore and aft without totally upsetting the bike's neutral handling. I don't think a 7" fork with a decently reasonable axle to crown height would be out of the question with this bike. I have my cockpit set fairly far back with a 50mm stem and setback seatpost with the Van 36 on front, and the bike still sticks the front wheel like crazy, climbing and cornering. This is a surprisingly and pleasantly weird bike. A Nomad with a 66SL and a more normal 70-90mm stem setup might be a perfect balance. I think we've only scratched the surface on how flexible the chassis setup can be on this frame...and I don't mean frame flex.

mtbr member

Stem

I will see how I get on with the 100mm stem. Ordered an Easton DH Carbon bar today for it. I was actually considering a setback seatpost for the Blur before I sold it !

TNC
    noMAD man

Pace fork.

I will see how I get on with the 100mm stem. Ordered an Easton DH Carbon bar today for it. I was actually considering a setback seatpost for the Blur before I sold it !
    What's the axle2crown height on that fork, Starsky? I don't believe I've ever even seen a pic of that fork. European, isn't it?

mtbr member

Fork

Here is a link mate;

https://www.pacecycles.com/product.a...D=2&subcat=467

Built in Yorkshire England. Got some fantastic reviews in UK magazines. Came out ahead of Fox and Marzo. Very light and stiff. Loaded with features.

I got it new but with £200 off the list price via the UK importer for Santa Cruz when ordering the Nomad. Thought it would suit my style of riding well.

TNC
    noMAD man

Looks decent.

Here is a link mate;

https://www.pacecycles.com/product.a...D=2&subcat=467

Built in Yorkshire England. Got some fantastic reviews in UK magazines. Came out ahead of Fox and Marzo. Very light and stiff. Loaded with features.

I got it new but with £200 off the list price via the UK importer for Santa Cruz when ordering the Nomad. Thought it would suit my style of riding well.
    It looks and sounds like a pretty good fork...design seems solid. I'd like to see a pic of the completed bike with that fork...it will be unique at the very least.

Dirt Displacer
    I considered this fork when choosing the spec on my Nomad, and discarded the idea only because I wanted the front travel to either match or exceed the rear.
    Other than that, if my riding was more XC oriented, and I wanted to save weight, I would've gotten the Pace Fighter in a heartbeat, and not even bothered considering Fox/Manipoo/Rockshox/Marzocchi. Plus the styling on that Pace fork itself would compliment the Nomad's asthetics very nicely, IMHO.
    Bombardier :::: MCM #249

[SIZE="5"]Trails Listings, GPS Tracks, & Forums[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="5"]Singletracks.com[/SIZE]