mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Nomad riders, anyone bought a 2nd bike for XC?

I currently have a Nomad as my trail bike that weighs in at just under 31lbs. I will be doing more endurance/xc racing soon, and I am considering buying a full suss XC bike that will come in lighter and be better suited for this type of riding (probably an Anthem X).

Have any other Nomad riders out there done this, and has the XC bike really been THAT much faster than the Nomad? Was getting the XC bike a good move, or did having the choice of two bikes just confuse things (wanting some of the attributes of the bike back at home when riding the other bike)

Another option now that the carbon Nomad is out, could be to upgrade the frame, then get a few light weight parts (lighter wheels, super like weight race tires, replace the Joplin, RS Rev 150mm forks) and swap them over for the races. I should be able to get the bike down to 25.5lbs (which is crazy for a Nomad!) doing this. If I were to get a separate XC bike, it would only maybe weigh about 1lb less than this.

Anyway, just curious to see if anyone else has been in a similar situation and how it turned out getting the 2nd bike for XC.

Seeeriously easy Livin
    You can never go wrong with more bikes, don't weight weenie out your nomad, build an xc bike, then make the nomad burlier

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Yeah, this is the way I have been planning things, and the way I think I'll go. I think I just see the new Nomad coming out and I'm trying to justify a way of getting it haha!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    consider Blur LT/LTc for xc/trail build, as it has a similar suspension to your Nomad... this might make an adaptation easier when switching bikes

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Not a Nomad rider but I've had a Heckler for the last 3 years. Built at about 32lbs with coil suspension front and rear. I used it for EVERYTHING (XC, DH, Super-D, commuting) I built a BlurXCc this winter and will probably never use the Heckler on an XC ride again. 9lbs lighter, better pedaling, climbing, etc.

Get a bike that is designed for the intended purpose, Have fun on the Nomad, XC on the new bike

TNC
    noMAD man
    Quote Originally Posted by manamana
    I currently have a Nomad as my trail bike that weighs in at just under 31lbs. I will be doing more endurance/xc racing soon, and I am considering buying a full suss XC bike that will come in lighter and be better suited for this type of riding (probably an Anthem X).

Have any other Nomad riders out there done this, and has the XC bike really been THAT much faster than the Nomad? Was getting the XC bike a good move, or did having the choice of two bikes just confuse things (wanting some of the attributes of the bike back at home when riding the other bike)

Another option now that the carbon Nomad is out, could be to upgrade the frame, then get a few light weight parts (lighter wheels, super like weight race tires, replace the Joplin, RS Rev 150mm forks) and swap them over for the races. I should be able to get the bike down to 25.5lbs (which is crazy for a Nomad!) doing this. If I were to get a separate XC bike, it would only maybe weigh about 1lb less than this.

Anyway, just curious to see if anyone else has been in a similar situation and how it turned out getting the 2nd bike for XC.
    I like my Nomad in its 33 pound configuration for heavier duty all-around use and bought a left over '08 Specialized Stumpy FSR for milder trail use. I even have a...Aaccck!...roadbike. Having at least a couple of bikes with different qualities is great. If money's tight, find a decent used bike that's more XC oriented.

mtbr member

What he said...

Quote Originally Posted by Flystagg
    You can never go wrong with more bikes, don't weight weenie out your nomad, build an xc bike, then make the nomad burlier
    Getting a Nomad as light as yours is about as light as I'd want to go if you ride it per its intended purpose. For racing and endurance stuff there are a ton of great bikes out there including the Blur. That said, along with my Nomad I have a Bullet built big and a custom hardtail that is a little more cross country oriented. I ride the Nomad 99 percent of the time. My Nomad is 35 pounds. How the heck do people get them lighter? I don't worry about it too much as I'm about 30 pounds overweight.
    I'll be along... eventually.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I have a nomad about the same weight as yours however I bought my Xc bike before the nomad.

IF you are serious about racing then get an XC bike for the side it is a huge difference. I think my nomad is in the 31 lb range and my Orbea is just over 25.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Get a Blur XC or an LT if your xc trails are really technical. Go Carbon if you really care about that sort of thing, but the classic Blur works just fine for me...

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    That's great, thanks guys. I think I'll stick with my original plan and look out for a deal on a XC bike.

Propr

+200lb'er

I was stuck in this same quandary and kind of still am...I started back in the MTB game with a new '06 Nomad...rode the hell out of it for 3 seasons...no resort time though. Then I went to Northstar and rented a bike...then really liked N* and wanted a DH bike as I didn't want to destroy the Nomad. Picked up a V10.

Then I started thinking I needed something lighter for more xc for some of the local rides that I'd been using my Nomad for...thinking it was just to heavy and slow on the climbs...picked up a '08 Superlight...liked it @ 25lbs (L) but it wasn't a Nomad...which I'd grown to love.

Long story short...

Sold the V10 because it was pretty much too much for me being a "race bike" and all.

Sold the Superlight because it wasn't a Nomad.

Picked up a SS with 160mm fork and also a Demo7ii for shuttle and NorthStar work.

Now in the process of getting the Nomad down to around 28~29lbs with a coil shock. Currently at 34lbs with a slightly more AM/FR build. Going with lighter tires (2.25's), carbon bars (still at 711mm wide), CB candy's, and some other crankset-up (still x2 with a bash guard..maybe a CF or some other light poly). Not going to change out the wheel set or go with an air shock or get rid of my 36Talas. Only other thing to do would be maybe some lighter brake setup...or go crazy and get all WW and get Ti bolts and stuff

So the build I'm trying to go with will be more AM and should help me on the longer rides in the 20 to 24 mile range...But still be tough enough for a few Super D's.

To answer your original question...I don't think it was a good move for me to get the XC bike...but I wasn't racing at all...if you do plan on racing or doing more enduro the lighter bike, XC or light Nomad maybe the call as it really does help with climbing IMO. I just love the Nomad so much for everyday riding that I don't think I'll ever get rid of it unless it's for another Nomad...don't think I'll go the full carbon route at this point though.
    12 Bandit Two9
    10 TransAM 1x9
    S-Works M2
    Tarmac SL3

mtbr member
    May 2008
    nice writeup lowball.

i don't quite make it out to the local bike park (northstar) as often to justify a driver or v10 so my nomad is the default. i seriously considered a pure xc bike at a max 25lb weight. after reading your post, i'm now more convinced to just have two builds for my nomad which can be changed in less than 30 minutes - fork, shock, pedal and wheelset.

for XC: 32 Talas (wish it was a Float since i never use the adjust), Float R shock, 355 rims laced with Sapim race spokes, Pro2 hub, Fat Albert 2.2, and eggbeaters. Total weight should be in the high 27/low 28lb range but will not know until I get the rims.

for AM: 36 Float, DHXC shock, the standard 5.1d rim, Pro2 hub, Fat Albert 2.4 and Blackspire pedals. Total weight right now is about 32.5lb.

mtbr member
    I sold my XC bike recently,27lbs Marin Mount Vision 5.8(2008 MTB magazine bike of the year),to buy my Nomad because I wanted more suspension.I thought it would feel like a cow,mine is 31lbs.I was shocked at how much better it felt in all areas,even climbing.I couldnt be happier.Unless you are entering races,even for XC use,the Nomad is hard to beat.

TNC
    noMAD man
    Quote Originally Posted by manamana

I agree with lowball in the sense that I didn't really want an XC bike. My '08 Stumpy FSR has a 5.5" Pike, and I installed a 7.5 X 2.0 rear shock to get 5.5" in the rear. It probably doesn't qualify as an XC bike, but it does have the lighter components to make it a bit easier to pedal around on less challenging trails. That isn't to say that my Nomad can't be ridden around on most any trail with darned good effciency. It's just nice to have a lighter second bike for easier trail riding. One other thing...if you go out to ride on a given day and find one of your bikes with a flat or a mechanical, you can just grab the other one.

mtbr member
    My Nomad is my XC bike. I go all over the countryside with it. I don't know what it weighs, but it's lighter than my other bike. I'd guess 35 or 36 lbs.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Don't do it.

I bought an epic and sold it within a year. The nomad was meant to be pedaled. PERIOD.

Ride Good or Eat Wood
    Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    I even have a...Aaccck!...roadbike.
    Righto TNC, go stand in the corner for 10 minutes and then say ten hail Mary's as penance.!!
    "Though my life is changing fast,
    My roots are planted in the past,
    Who I am, is who I want to be
    "

mtbr member
    I can't imagine wanting to ride anything other than my Nomad. If I was doing it over I might spec it with an adjustable travel fork so I could drop the front end on sustained climbing sections.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Out of interested, has anyone tried having two forks, with one being in the 140mm/150mm range for XC races/riding? If so, was it worth it, or was in not any different/better and not worth the hassle?

mtbr member
    I had a 140mm on my Nomad when I first purchased,not a good idea.160mm is the way to go,even for xc.With the 140,the bottom bracket was too low and the overall geo was off.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Nomad / Superlight / V10

Same dilema. Lightened up the 09 Nomad with the intention of selling the 08 superlight and riding the Nomad for purposes with the V10 for resort / shuttle days to pretent like I could be a DHer. The Nomad is @ around 30 lbs w/ DHX Air, Talas, XTR, & command post. My after work ride starts with a 40 min. (for me) climb, (almost 5 miles & 1200'). Been tracking times recently comparing the SL to the Nomad... Cn average I'm 1.5 minutes faster up the climb on the SL ~4% with the heartrate about the same, which can be significant over long hauls. Now I'm hesitant to sell the SL which I still use for longer (25+ mi / 3000'+) days that aren't too rough like most socal trails.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    my nomad it's a large ,coil front & rear and 34.8 pounds..... a little burlier....but my xc bike is a blur lt 29 pounds.......on the burlier side too.....ah ah ah