Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Nomad rear shock bushings

4K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Ixquiac 
#1 ·
How often do you guys have to change them? I'm kind of surprised of how often I have to change them considering how seldom I've had to do it on previous frames. I've lately changed the rear bushing on the rearshock (DHX 5C) about once a month, and I don't even ride much nowadays. Usually apply antiseize in the contact areas between bushing/shock and bushing/reducers. Using the original fox bushings. (getting them directly from distrebutor)

Wondering if my frame might be slightly out of alinement or something causing excessive wear on bushings? Is this normal on VPP frames?

Never had any sideways play whatsoever. Friction-free operation of rear end when I remove the shock.

If it matters I ride technical terrain only, and often in wet/muddy conditions. Some lift assisted riding as well, but only like once a month.

#2 ·
Once a month is not normal. I do notice that my Nomad shock seems to need it more than my Bullits do, but more like once every 9 months...just less than a year. It's not flex related IMO, because my Bullits, especially my '99, have more flex than my Nomad. If your alignment appears good, I can't say what might be the cause. I do know that my bushing wear improved dramatically when Manitou provided some solid, one-piece spacer kits instead of the more common split design spacer. I think these provide more consistent contact area and less flex inside the bushing. I think these one-piece spacers are superior on any shock.

On the application of antiseize to the spacer and bushing interface, you're going to get differing opinions on this. Some say the antiseize tends to break down the bushing material, while others contend it doesn't. I've done it both ways for many years in an attempt to discern which is superior, and frankly I can't tell that either does anything good or bad as it pertains to bushings. Most DU bushings that I've seen from the major players for their given shocks usually recommend no lubing.

#5 ·
Bushing replacement clues?

Hey TNC,

I have never replaced mine since I got my bike. I switch from my DHX air to DHX coil quite often both of which have thee own bushings. Is there something I need to be looking at specifically?

:confused:

#6 ·
You only need to replace them if they need it. You'll get a slight "tick" or a small loose feel when you pick up the rear of the bike by the saddle. You often can't feel it when you're actually riding unless it gets to an extemely sloppy condition. Bushings are easy to remove and replace. You can remove and install them with just sockets from a socket wrench set...if you have enough and the right sized sockets to choose from. I bought a set of Fox bushings...most of them are the same for most of their shocks...and they were extemely cheap...something under $2 each this spring.

#8 ·
There is a guy here on MTBR over on the classifieds that sells a realy nice tool for DU bush removal and insertion. Look in the shocks for sale section. Also your DU bush will last longer if you put the split thats in the DU bush 90deg from shock travel direction. That guy that sells that tool also sells better quality DU bushings than Foxes. Later.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.