Thread: Nomad Questions

mtbr member
    May 2006

Nomad Questions

Hi Everyone-

I'm looking really hard at building up a Nomad as my next bike. Two years ago I picked up an Ibex Asta to help keep me in shape during the off-season. I race harescrambles and enduros on a dirtbike. Funny thing is, I like riding my mtn bike better now, and my dirtbikes are collecting dust. I ride 4-5 times a week now. But I have really outgrown my Ibex. I am 6' 3" and weigh 225, with a 34" inseam. I do a lot of climbing, but only to get to the next downhill section. I want something that can take a lot of abuse on the downhills, jumps, rocks, and still climb ok. I'd like to go hit downieville, and even do some chairlift stuff...but...In the last month I've destroyed both rims, ripped the cranks off, overheat brakes halfway down hills, and the derailers are out of adjustment before I finish a ride (it doesn't do well off jumps). The Ibex has been a good bike for a starter to see if I am into it, but I'm to the point where I really have to hold back because I'm afraid of something else breaking, including me. I've had my rims turn to taco's on two seperate rides now, and the wounds are still healing. The cranks snapped after hitting a series of little jumps yesterday on a fast downhill, which shot me off-trail and somehow missing a series of trees which would have caused some serious hurt at 30+ mph.

I'm a newb, and don't know much about frame geometry, or building up a bike. I'm not sure if I should get a L or XL frame. The Ibex Asta is a Large frame, and it feels really cramped to me. Like I am bent over at the waist hard enough that my lower back feels kind of pinched. And it's really twitchy without getting my butt way over the rear wheel, which then causes me to try and play a fine line between twitchiness and pushing the front wheel in turns. None of the local shops stock Nomads (lots of Blur LTs). So how do I decide on frame size. Where do I start with forks, shocks, etc...I'm learning as fast as I can, reading through forums, google searches, but I don't know what type of wheelsets, cranks, brakes, shifters, etc...I don't want a 40lb bike, but I'd rather pedal 40lbs up a hill than deal with parts falling off a 30lb bike on the way down. I'm not concerned about cost at this point, but I'd hate to buy a large frame when I need an XL, or vice-versa.

I'm off to read more info. Thanks in advance for anyones help.

TNC
    noMAD man
    Boy, I hate making size recommendations over the internet. There are often preference and terrain specific issues that can affect a given situation. However, since you mention that you're a dirt motorhead, like me, based on your size and other elements, I'd recommend the XL. I believe you're going to like a short stem for aggressive terrain, and a large would probably just put you too close to the headtube. Your 34" inseam for a 6' 3" guy indicates you have a long torso. I think the XL will suit you better. Your dirt motor background will probably cause your preferece to be more of a "sit in" cockpit than a "sit on top" cockpit...if that makes any sense. This is what I like about my Nomad. It's as close to a dirt motor as a bicycle can get IMO in regards to cockpit and handling...at least as far as all-around-use bicycles go. You can go heavier and would probably like the layout and handling of many of the DH bikes, but you strongly indicate that you want to be able to pedal efficiently up hills. The Nomad may fit this requirement about as well as any bike.

I'm 6' tall with a 32" inseam and long torso, and I ride a large with a 50mm stem and love it.

Hike n' Bike
    Jun 2006
    Some basic options that would be good for you

Coil Fork- Lyric or Van 36
    X9 shifters and derailurs
    J5 or J7 brakes 203F / 185R
    A solid Wheelset which could be a number of things. I just bought a DT Swiss E 2200 so Ill know more about those in a couple of weeks
    Race face ride, atlas, evolve seatpost/ bars/ stem
    Cane Creek S3 headset would work fine, Chris King if you got the dough
    Decent set of cranks, I like Truvativ because they are easy to take off and perform maintence on
    Rear shock any coil with probably 550-600# spring

That would probably hit around the 35ish pounds give or take and would definitly take some abuse. The nomad is a great pick if you can only have a 1 bike quiver.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    TNC, thanks for the frame recommendation. The sit-in, instead of sit-on analogy makes perfect sense to me. And I think I would love it if I had a bike where It sat more into it...wow, I could really start getting aggressive if the Nomad felt like that to me. I'll probably go with the XL frame. I've got a list of every dealer within a 100 miles so I'm going to call each of them to see if anyone has a L and XL nomad built-up so I can see how they feel. Your reply has me even more excited now.

Magsrgod, thanks for your input. Yeah, I can really only deal with 1 bike right now. I think the Nomad is the next level of progression for me. From there, who knows where I'll go. But for now I think if I get one it will be a while/if ever where my skills required anything more specialized. On the forks, you recommend the vanilla 36's. Are those better than say rc2 or talas 36 because of rider weight? I definately appreciate the headstart on component selections.

Hike n' Bike
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadRash1
    TNC, thanks for the frame recommendation. The sit-in, instead of sit-on analogy makes perfect sense to me. And I think I would love it if I had a bike where It sat more into it...wow, I could really start getting aggressive if the Nomad felt like that to me. I'll probably go with the XL frame. I've got a list of every dealer within a 100 miles so I'm going to call each of them to see if anyone has a L and XL nomad built-up so I can see how they feel. Your reply has me even more excited now.

Magsrgod, thanks for your input. Yeah, I can really only deal with 1 bike right now. I think the Nomad is the next level of progression for me. From there, who knows where I'll go. But for now I think if I get one it will be a while/if ever where my skills required anything more specialized. On the forks, you recommend the vanilla 36's. Are those better than say rc2 or talas 36 because of rider weight? I definately appreciate the headstart on component selections.
    TNC is as spot on as one can be eFitting someone. I ride a Van 36rc2 fork and yes I would recomend that one, its heavier but its pretty easy to maintain and with a heavy spring in it you should be good. I like coils, some do some dont its all preferance, but I like how they feel and how they progress through the stroke. Mind you I'm 5'6 and weigh 155-160 and ride a small Nomad frame.

Truely fork is whatever you like and whatever feels best for you. Rear shock I would almost definitly stick with a coil at your weight. I have a DHXair right now which is ok, my CCDB will be here either the end of this week or early next week, and im anticipating it being CONSIDERABLY better than the current air shock.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Thanks...I'm going to find a shop that hopefully has L & XL bikes that I can at sit on. I actually found the sizing chart on SCs website. I don't know how I missed it before. At my height it says I should be on an XL frame like TNC said, but I'd really like to sit on each. The only thing I'm going to hold out for now is probably an 09 frame, unless I can find a good deal on a leftover. I'm going to start reading up on the different components now. Let me know how you like the DT Swiss E 2200.

Thanks both of you for giving me some great info!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    XL or XXL, if they have one. Nomad cockpit feels cramped as it is. I'm 6'0 on a good day and I ride an XL.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    When you get your Nomad you will be 1 happy man. from the sounds of it, it will be a great ride for you. I got an 08 nomad earlier this year and all i can say is wow. great bike.
    I've seen many threads on nomad sizing - it seems that their sizing has changed a bit from year to year.
    That being said i'm only about 5-8 to 5-9ish. and i'm riding a large - and it feels great. I thought i'd be a medium - so did the store but the large is the one for me - we could tell after even a simple spin around the parking lot. I could tell by the feel and they could tell just by seeing me on the bike.
    so my guess is that you will be on an XL.

In terms of components, i would recommend that unless you bang on with knowing what you want - just get one built up already. Due to the economy of scale it will always be much more inexpensive than building your own.
    good luck - man you will love the bike

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I can't wait. I'm to the point where I might just get an 08, and not wait for the 09's. I was reading what people where saying about the 09's in one of these threads and I'm not sure if the Nomad will still be the same bike. I can't seem to find any reviews on them anywhere on the net yet though.

As far as building one up, I thought of getting one that was built already, but I've found that I usually end up replacing things to the components I wanted down the road, so it ends up costing me more in the long run. At least on my dirt bikes that how it's been. We'll see though. I'd really like to get one now while there is still a lot of good riding left. If I wait until the 09's come out I wont be picking one up until next spring after the rain starts slowing up. I don't know if I can wait that long!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I know how you feel, but unless you like taking apart your VPP linkage every few months to grease it up like most people does, or if you really dont want that squeaking sound out of your pivot, then it is worth the 09 wait.

I waited a few months so that I can get a BLT2 instead of BLT1 with the original VPP pivots. That being said, I am interested in riding bike, not servicing them and taking them apart all the time.

spring 09 is a long wait, but if I knew the nomad will be coming out, I might have waited.

How about spend a few hundred and buy a used DJ bike to play with until the 09 comes in.

TNC
    noMAD man

Not sure about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Loll
    I know how you feel, but unless you like taking apart your VPP linkage every few months to grease it up like most people does, or if you really dont want that squeaking sound out of your pivot, then it is worth the 09 wait.

I waited a few months so that I can get a BLT2 instead of BLT1 with the original VPP pivots. That being said, I am interested in riding bike, not servicing them and taking them apart all the time.

spring 09 is a long wait, but if I knew the nomad will be coming out, I might have waited.

How about spend a few hundred and buy a used DJ bike to play with until the 09 comes in.
    While I would like to have the grease zerk fitted lower link on my '06 Nomad, if you properly treat the pivot axles on any Nomad, you don't have to pull them down every "few months" as you suggest. With enduro style bearings and fully antiseized pivot axles, you can easily go for over a year...and even then the bearings will still be good...just relube the pivot axles and hit it again. I last antiseized the pivot axles on mine back in April of '07, and they are still operating smoothly and silently. Service and antiseizing done right the first time allows you to go a very long time before any reapplication of antiseize is necessary.

That said, the zerk fitted link is an awesome improvement.

Knolliac

Service and antiseizing done right the first time allows you to go a very long time..

...before any reapplication of antiseize is necessary.

i agree completely, had the same experience with my blt and when the nomad fram arrived i made sure to pull all the axles and antiseize them up proper. really does not take too long at all. i would add too that avoiding high pressure washers and hoses sprayed directly into/at pivots helps heaps too.

mtbr member
    I'm 6' 3" with a 34" inseam and am currently riding an 06 XL. I think the new "09's" are going back to the longer TT which is great 'cause the newer XL 1.5 HT ones have been too short for me.
    I was just checking out a friends Large '09 one today (he won Hellride) and it is pretty damn gorgeous and seems to ride better than the older versions, the mid stroke has better control now too (although his is spec'd with an RP23, not the notorious DHX Air which has some effect on the midstroke), it is also quite a bit lighter.
    He has an 06 model as well and is extremely impressed with the changes on the new one, he said it outperforms the older (DHX Air equipped) one in every way.
    Last edited by MartinS; 08-23-2008 at 08:22 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    thanks for the info on the 09's. I am going to just wait until the 09's come out. But as soon as I can buy one I will...even if I don't get to ride it as much as I want, I can't wait until spring. I'm going to go get a few miles in now, I hope nothing breaks this time...

mtbr member
    Also, as a BTW, XLs always seem to be that last in the production line (from personal experience). If you've got a local shop that you are dealing with make sure they order one now, I should have back in 05 when they first started production of the first Nomads but my local shop told me to wait until spring - I did by which time there was a long line ahead of me and it took 4 months to get it.
    It was worth it though!