AJG
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Nomad owners any fork recommendations?

Does anyone use the DUC from Maverick on this frame? Seems like a logical chioce to me. Is there anyone riding this setup? Your input please!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Lord of the Chainrings

Nomad Fork

Nomad fork...
    Single crown.

Fox 36 TALAS 160mm
    or
    Marzocchi 66RC 170mm
    "Hesitation is the Mother of Failure!"

~~ 951 for Dirt & Roadster for Asphalt ~~

TNC
    noMAD man

One thing on a Nomad.

Quote Originally Posted by AJG
    Does anyone use the DUC from Maverick on this frame? Seems like a logical chioce to me. Is there anyone riding this setup? Your input please!
    And I will continue to sound like a broken record on this issue...shorter forks will cause serious pedal smacking in uneven terrain...like rocks, ruts, roots...you get the idea. We've built a couple of ML8's at the shop that had the DUC32, and I think it's an impressive fork...though I'm not crazy about the proprietary front hub. It is also a very short fork for a 6" travel setup. This coupled with what I feel are a Nomad's need for a relatively tall fork will most likely cause some pretty good of pedal smacking under certain conditions. Mine has a Van 36, and I can't imagine riding this bike with a shorter fork. I rode over 30 miles over the past two days on mine in some pretty rocky terrain and pedal smacking is still somewhat of a nuisance compared to other bikes I own or have ridden...and that's with 170mm cranks.

The ride height as influenced by a shorter fork may not wind up being a problem for some, but it is for me. Just something to consider.
    Attached Images Attached Images

If ya don't mind a steep head angle.
    BTW... I heard Bush was trying to ban steep head Angles...

Dirt Displacer
    I just got my 66 today.... finally....

I'll see how it does first chance I get and post up here.
    Bombardier :::: MCM #249

[SIZE="5"]Trails Listings, GPS Tracks, & Forums[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="5"]Singletracks.com[/SIZE]

Too Much Fun

Got my 66SL yesterday...

Quote Originally Posted by Bombardier
    I just got my 66 today.... finally....

I'll see how it does first chance I get and post up here.
    Me too! My 66SL got in yesterday and it'll be on by this weekend. Sadly my wheels won't be ready in time for this weekend, but damn, the 66 is *PURE BURL*.

The bag it came in was silly though. Cool, but still silly. Maybe I can use it if I ever buy a shotgun.

Anyway, can't wait to ride it!
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I'm choosing between Fox 36 van and 66 SL. Ride report would greatly help. Anyone know the weight and A-C height between the two?

Still waiting for my Nomad, hope to receive it in 2 weeks!

Too Much Fun

66SL love

Quote Originally Posted by MADnifico
    I'm choosing between Fox 36 van and 66 SL. Ride report would greatly help. Anyone know the weight and A-C height between the two?
    Take a look at the Turner board for 66SL ride reports. They f'ing love the thing, and there are some folks who are really testing it. The thing is that the SL is adjustable so your A-C will vary. Set at 150mm, the SL will be shorter then the Van... Maybe 535 I think. Don't quote me on that.

I went with the 66SL because I've run Marz for years and never had a dud fork and always had pure plushness. The burl of the 66 line impressed me, and the solidly glowing ride reports on the Turner board sealed the deal.

The Fox products seem great too though, with the Van36 being particularly well loved. The Tala36 seems to have had travel loss issues and I don't know if they've been remedied.
    - -benja- -

AJG
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Velocipus

As he should ! You can't have that type of thing going on.....Freedom of choice? The chance to fail at ones efforts. That should not be allowed... Unless there were good intentions exhibited.

That was really funny. The first time I laughed all day. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Any thoughts on Zoke Z1 light ETA?

My lbs has a Black ano nomad, if i cant wait for the polished one I might just get it and slap the Z1 there, mainly for the color.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by velocipus
    If ya don't mind a steep head angle.
    BTW... I heard Bush was trying to ban steep head Angles...
    Clinton could have saved himself an impeachment if he had banned steep head angles.

TNC
    noMAD man
    Bwaaaaah! Damn...that's pretty good...LOL!

BMJ
    "42 lbs and climbing!"

"WORKS 4 ME!"

Here's my ride.

So far I'm lovin' my Duc32. Very stiff and svelt looking. Goes great with the curves of the Nomad.

I'm still working on balancing the settings between the Duc and the DHX. With so much travel available, the proper balance of settings for terrain and rider style seem to be much more inportant than my old 4" travel bike. It only steepens the head angle by about a half of a degree. I prefer to have a slightly steeper angle than what the Nomad comes with anyways.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mountainbiker
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by MADnifico
    Any thoughts on Zoke Z1 light ETA?

My lbs has a Black ano nomad, if i cant wait for the polished one I might just get it and slap the Z1 there, mainly for the color.
    Here's mine (with Z1 2005):

I only rode it one time, so i can't say much about performance.
    Last edited by skuehnen; 03-03-2006 at 02:15 PM.